Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,600,059 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I love teaching, and, although it's been a steep learning curve, I think this is my passion. Even substitute teaching persists in having those one-off fun days where the kids do something to just totally make my day, and I love the volunteer teaching position I have at the community center. Plus, I've earned a master's degree in Education and have taken several professional development courses. Yes, it does take me a little longer to figure out what to do when X is not working, but I do eventually figure something out. It hasn't really hindered my ability to do the job. I really think I'm justified in looking for a paid teaching position at this point in my career. I've been telling myself that I don't have enough experience and they don't really want me, but if they are willing to request me as part-time staff and retain me as a volunteer tutor, surely I have the skills to successfully do the job, right? I think so.

If that's the case, how should I go about looking for a teaching gig? I'm really open to anything, overseas, in-state, out-of-state, DOD, etc. How should I go about applying? I personally think I don't do very well on interviews. I need a lot of help, especially with this ASD diagnosis. I'm still getting the message that I can certainly do this job, though.

Plus, I really need to start paying my student loans or be able to afford more classes.

Last edited by krmb; 12-06-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,232,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

I love teaching, and, although it's been a steep learning curb, I think this is my passion. Even substitute teaching persists in having those one-off fun days where the kids do something to just totally make my day, and I love the volunteer teaching position I have at the community center. Plus, I've earned a master's degree in Education and have taken several professional development courses. Yes, it does take me a little longer to figure out what to do when X is not working, but I do eventually figure something out. It hasn't really hindered my ability to do the job. I really think I'm justified in looking for a paid teaching position at this point in my career. I've been telling myself that I don't have enough experience and they don't really want me, but if they are willing to request me as part-time staff and retain me as a volunteer tutor, surely I have the skills to successfully do the job, right? I think so.

If that's the case, how should I go about looking for a teaching gig? I'm really open to anything, overseas, in-state, out-of-state, DOD, etc. How should I go about applying? I personally think I don't do very well on interviews. I need a lot of help, especially with this ASD diagnosis. I'm still getting the message that I can certainly do this job, though.
In this thread today, you say you can't afford to even apply to teach overseas:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...e-student.html

At any rate, here's how you get hired:

Go to the websites of school systems in your area.

Find the tab that says "Careers" or "Available Positions," etc.

Read the qualifications. It will tell you step-by-step how to do it.

Go to the principal at the schools where you sub and tell them you want to apply for a full-time position.

Personally, I disagree wholeheartedly based on all your other threads here that you could do this job.

***FYI ^^^

It's learning "curve." They should have taught you about "grading on a curve" in one of your education classes.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In this thread today, you say you can't afford to even apply to teach overseas:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...e-student.html

At any rate, here's how you get hired:

Go to the websites of school systems in your area.

Find the tab that says "Careers" or "Available Positions," etc.

Read the qualifications. It will tell you step-by-step how to do it.

Go to the principal at the schools where you sub and tell them you want to apply for a full-time position.

Personally, I disagree wholeheartedly based on all your other threads here that you could do this job.

***FYI ^^^

It's learning "curve." They should have taught you about "grading on a curve" in one of your education classes.
You can take that one straight to the "I can't take it anymore (part 2)" thread. I should have done some proofreading...

Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 889,050 times
how should I go about looking for a teaching gig?

OP - if you don't know how to find a teaching job with all the facilities at your disposal (newspaper ads, internet job postings, word-of-mouth from your current colleagues, etc) then I am not sure you're cut out for a professional position.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
how should I go about looking for a teaching gig?

OP - if you don't know how to find a teaching job with all the facilities at your disposal (newspaper ads, internet job postings, word-of-mouth from your current colleagues, etc) then I am not sure you're cut out for a professional position.

That's not even what I asked. I asked for a method of finding a teaching position. Should I leave my resume with the board of education and expect people to call me, or should I keep calling them? Should I sign up for Peace Corps and volunteer overseas to get even more experience? Should I teach abroad for a year or two? How do I sign up for a legitimate international teaching position? Where should I start? Where did you start? Are they looking for experience going in or are they willing to do some training? Are there any areas that are totally desperate for new teachers and are willing to pay them a fair wage?

Last edited by krmb; 12-06-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 08:09 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 889,050 times
OP - I am sorry to be blunt, but you expect to be spoon-fed everything.

How to find a teaching position?
Check the job postings.
Should I get into the Peace Corps? How are we to know what you want?
How do I sign up for a legitimate international teaching position? Google it; Dave's ESL Cafe used to be a good resource.

I am done, as many others are probably, too. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:16 PM

4,392 posts, read 4,262,590 times
You should go to the placement office at your university. Also, the teacher education department should have a placement service, and you should check into that. Your state's Department of Education website will probably have a list of vacancies as well.

You should have an idea of where you will feel comfortable. If you have had so many problems relating to students and staff, then you may find yourself relegated to less-sought-after positions. I would imagine that most states have schools that are hard to staff, some in the inner city and some rural. I don't believe that you would be a good fit for inner-city kids, but you might find your spot in a rural area where you might be more appreciated. The trade-off is that there is less of a social network available and fewer options for your spare time. If you were willing to become part of the community, then you might just flourish.

Good luck with the job hunt. There is bound to be a place for you somewhere where they really need you.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 AM

4,888 posts, read 6,996,872 times
If you're serious about getting your foot in the door and would locate most anywhere to do so then follow my advice.

In South Dakota we're on the cusp of a huge teacher shortage. Being 51st in teacher pay along with having many school districts located a long way from larger cities where you can have a life other than teaching is finally catching up to us.

In the Sioux Falls newspaper this last week was an article stating that statewide over 1,000 teachers will be retiring next year. Only approx. 750 teachers will be graduating from the combined colleges this spring. It gets worse 2 years from now as the numbers dip to less than 600 potential teachers graduating.

We have a disproportionate number of older teachers in relation to younger teachers here. There will be many openings, primarily in the more rural areas in the next few years. This is the situation.

Now for the real problem, the reservations. The Indian reservations in SD are some of the poorest and most desolate in the country. Even now, most non-Indian teachers commute many miles daily to teach there. It's either do the long commute, which can be dangerous in the winter time, or live in apartments or crappy housing provided by the tribe just for the teachers.

The upside is I guarantee that you will get a job and you will be able to start your career with something on your resume' to transition into better teaching situations. Another upside is you might love the wide open country and who knows, meet some cute cowboy and settle down here. The downsides are obvious. Poor working conditions (in some cases and in most all reservation jobs), inadequate pay, and few things to do when you're not working. Keep in mind that in many small towns, the only places you have to meet other people is the school, churches, a local café, or the local bar. Of course you can't be seen in the bar as you're a teacher and you're held to a higher standard than anyone else in town with the exception of the clergy.

Website to get started:

http://asbsd.org/index.php/services/teacher-placement/

Last edited by jmgg; 12-07-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 AM

4,392 posts, read 4,262,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If you're serious about getting your foot in the door and would locate most anywhere to do so then follow my advice.

In South Dakota we're on the cusp of a huge teacher shortage. Being 51st in teacher pay along with having many school districts located a long way from larger cities where you can have a life other than teaching is finally catching up to us.

In the Sioux Falls newspaper this last week was an article stating that statewide over 1,000 teachers will be retiring next year. Only approx. 750 teachers will be graduating from the combined colleges this spring. It gets worse 2 years from now as the numbers dip to less than 600 potential teachers graduating.

We have a disproportionate number of older teachers in relation to younger teachers here. There will be many openings, primarily in the more rural areas in the next few years. This is the situation.

Now for the real problem, the reservations. The Indian reservations in SD are some of the poorest and most desolate in the country. Even now, most non-Indian teachers commute many miles daily to teach there. It's either do the long commute, which can be dangerous in the winter time, or live in apartments or crappy housing provided by the tribe just for the teachers.

The upside is I guarantee that you will get a job and you will be able to start your career with something on your resume' to transition into better teaching situations. Another upside is you might love the wide open country and who knows, meet some cute cowboy and settle down here. The downsides are obvious. Poor working conditions (in some cases and in most all reservation jobs), inadequate pay, and few things to do when you're not working. Keep in mind that in many small towns, the only places you have to meet other people is the school, churches, a local café, or the local bar. Of course you can't be seen in the bar as you're a teacher and you're held to a higher standard than anyone else in town with the exception of the clergy.

Website to get started:

Teacher Placement Center | Associated School Boards of South Dakota
I was also thinking of reservation schools and schools in more remote areas where the pay is low, but there aren't the same drawbacks that exist in inner-city schools. The poverty is just as bad, but the culture is very different. You may find a niche for yourself in an area where there are fewer people. Plus, they will be very glad to have you. Some areas also have migrant populations where you could use your ESL training. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:41 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,248,764 times
ESL 101:

Jobs for certified teachers at international schools require 2+ local experience and are posted on teach a way.com - these jobs are regular K-12 and taught in English. An MED in TESOL is not really relevant.

International EFL jobs (teaching English as an L2+) are posted on Dave's and through local recruiters/agencies like EPIK.

You said in another thread you were diagnosed with Aspergers. True? Keep in mind this may lead to certain countries rejecting your visa.

Again, I have no idea how you get through a master's in TESOL without knowing these basic steps! I seriously question your program's quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching