Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,594,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
ESL 101:

Jobs for certified teachers at international schools require 2+ local experience and are posted on teach a way.com - these jobs are regular K-12 and taught in English. An MED in TESOL is not really relevant.

International EFL jobs (teaching English as an L2+) are posted on Dave's and through local recruiters/agencies like EPIK.

You said in another thread you were diagnosed with Aspergers. True? Keep in mind this may lead to certain countries rejecting your visa.

Again, I have no idea how you get through a master's in TESOL without knowing these basic steps! I seriously question your program's quality.
You aren't exactly telling me anything new. I guess the best people to talk to would be the ones who have already taught abroad. They probably know how to answer my questions a little better. A fear I have is that I will sign up with a company that doesn't pay me enough to purchase a plane ticket when I'm finished. There's also a chance I could go to a dangerous country that doesn't welcome me. Then again, there are companies that illegally hire ESL teachers as well. I feel like I need to know about the pitfalls, legitimate companies vs. illegitimate companies, best countries to teach in, etc.

I'm sorry. I've never applied for a visa before. I didn't know they checked the applicant's medical history. The Asperger's diagnosis was done by a student intern under a doctor's supervision. I don't think it really counts as an "official" diagnosis. It does explain why I sometimes have trouble getting along with unfamiliar people, though, and it may also explain why I can relate so well to international students. We're in the same boat; we both have trouble understanding U.S. culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,244,167 times
Well, I'm an ESL teacher and I've taught local and abroad. But if I have nothing new to offer, nevermind.

NOVA, JET, EPIK. I do not think a person with your disposition should go abroad without the support of such agencies, but hey, what do I know...

Old 12-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Many Asian countries will deny you based on certain medical histories. It varies and regulations are set by authorities.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:15 PM

26,832 posts, read 26,991,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
A fear I have is that I will sign up with a company that doesn't pay me enough to purchase a plane ticket when I'm finished. There's also a chance I could go to a dangerous country that doesn't welcome me.
Based what you've written in your threads, it doesn't sound like a good idea to work out of state, and certainly not abroad. Why would you want to put even more pressure on yourself?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm an ESL teacher and I've taught local and abroad. But if I have nothing new to offer, nevermind.

NOVA, JET, EPIK. I do not think a person with your disposition should go abroad without the support of such agencies, but hey, what do I know...
I'm sorry. I guess the Internet is not a great place to get this information. I would probably be given more specific information if I could muster enough courage to talk to someone in person. It doesn't seem like anyone here knows what to tell me, even though they have the experience.

Thanks for mentioning reputable agencies.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry. I guess the Internet is not a great place to get this information. I would probably be given more specific information if I could muster enough courage to talk to someone in person. It doesn't seem like anyone here knows what to tell me, even though they have the experience.

Thanks for mentioning reputable agencies.
If you can't get through this research step on your own and can't approach people in person (ie cold calling recruiters), then you don't belong overseas. Period. You will find yourself in shopping disputes, at a hospital where nobody speaks english, having to fumble through telephone customer service setups... Just simple things that become overwhelming with a language barrier.

Teaching overseas requires a certain iron thick skin. Be realistic. It causes depression and drinking for many who can't cope and they fly home. I did four years and became bilingual - it was still hard. It is NOT for the faint.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,443,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If you're serious about getting your foot in the door and would locate most anywhere to do so then follow my advice.

In South Dakota we're on the cusp of a huge teacher shortage. Being 51st in teacher pay along with having many school districts located a long way from larger cities where you can have a life other than teaching is finally catching up to us.

In the Sioux Falls newspaper this last week was an article stating that statewide over 1,000 teachers will be retiring next year. Only approx. 750 teachers will be graduating from the combined colleges this spring. It gets worse 2 years from now as the numbers dip to less than 600 potential teachers graduating.

We have a disproportionate number of older teachers in relation to younger teachers here. There will be many openings, primarily in the more rural areas in the next few years. This is the situation.

Now for the real problem, the reservations. The Indian reservations in SD are some of the poorest and most desolate in the country. Even now, most non-Indian teachers commute many miles daily to teach there. It's either do the long commute, which can be dangerous in the winter time, or live in apartments or crappy housing provided by the tribe just for the teachers.

The upside is I guarantee that you will get a job and you will be able to start your career with something on your resume' to transition into better teaching situations. Another upside is you might love the wide open country and who knows, meet some cute cowboy and settle down here. The downsides are obvious. Poor working conditions (in some cases and in most all reservation jobs), inadequate pay, and few things to do when you're not working. Keep in mind that in many small towns, the only places you have to meet other people is the school, churches, a local café, or the local bar. Of course you can't be seen in the bar as you're a teacher and you're held to a higher standard than anyone else in town with the exception of the clergy.

Website to get started:

Teacher Placement Center | Associated School Boards of South Dakota
Interesting reading as my BIL almost took a job on a Reservation in SD. He had just retired from another small town district in the middle of no where Nevada. He got an offer, drove to the location in SD and reported on the day requested. Superintendent was on vacation, school board that met the night before never got to voting on new hires, housing promised was still occupied. He drove away and kept on driving. Best decision he's made in a long time.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
If you can't get through this research step on your own and can't approach people in person (ie cold calling recruiters), then you don't belong overseas. Period. You will find yourself in shopping disputes, at a hospital where nobody speaks english, having to fumble through telephone customer service setups... Just simple things that become overwhelming with a language barrier.

Teaching overseas requires a certain iron thick skin. Be realistic. It causes depression and drinking for many who can't cope and they fly home. I did four years and became bilingual - it was still hard. It is NOT for the faint.
I've heard of culture shock but I guess I've never really experienced it. I guess it could be distressing.

I guess my best course of action would be to talk to some of the ESL teachers in this area who have already gone overseas. I think the main difference between them and me, though, is they went with others who perhaps had more experience than they did and were familiar with the culture and spoke the language. I would be going at it alone, which is a different set of challenges. I can't find anyone to travel with me, though, so I guess I don't really have another option if I want to teach overseas.

Last edited by krmb; 12-07-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,443,318 times
Quote:
I've heard of culture shock but I guess I've never really experienced it. I guess it could be distressing.
You probably would have enough culture shock moving to some areas of the U.S., and at least it's all English. I really didn't mean that as snide, just realistic. I would encourage looking outside of your geographic area, but only if you can also find the supports you will need as well.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM

4,884 posts, read 6,974,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Interesting reading as my BIL almost took a job on a Reservation in SD. He had just retired from another small town district in the middle of no where Nevada. He got an offer, drove to the location in SD and reported on the day requested. Superintendent was on vacation, school board that met the night before never got to voting on new hires, housing promised was still occupied. He drove away and kept on driving. Best decision he's made in a long time.
I'd like to say that I'm shocked at what happened to him, but I'm not. Yes, their situation is terrible, but half the problem out there is of their own making. I truly do feel sorry for the natives that really try, but they're fighting an uphill battle against the rest of the tribe with the indifference, laziness, drug/alcohol abusers, and corrupt tribal leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching