Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 PM

358 posts, read 283,168 times

Advertisements

Tired when you get 15 weeks off vs. 2 weeks a year (some even none/less) for average American worker?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Tired when you get 15 weeks off vs. 2 weeks a year (some even none/less) for average American worker?!
You have no clue as to how many hours per week teachers put in during the school year, it is not the cakewalk you assume.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 AM

358 posts, read 283,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You have no clue as to how many hours per week teachers put in during the school year, it is not the cakewalk you assume.
But you still get much more off than any other profession.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,558,546 times
Quote:
Sorry. My dh currently has 400 hours banked. (10 weeks). He takes time off, and usually matched me at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break. He has to take days just to avoid losing days. I leave before him, and come home after him. He takes many days off in summer, and that's not counting the days he can go in and leave because of an appointment. He does not have to go to a training during his vacation time, either.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Quote:
Not really. I actually had more time off in emergency services. At least I could "go home" after. Taking off four days gave me three weeks off, due to shift rotations. I got a 1.5 hour break each day, just for the gym!

You must be one of those who thinks that lesson plans, curriculum design, PD days, meetings, conferences, photocopying, materials just poof out of an alternate universe...

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,199 times
Quote:

You are not paid for it.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:48 AM

16 posts, read 26,951 times
This really depends on your district. Mine is generally pretty flexible when working with parents. I have strongly considered going part time when I start a family in a few years. Yes, there will still be time outside of your contracted hours spent on planning and grading, but that is to be expected with any teaching assignment. My school requires part time teachers to attend events in an amount of time proportional to the teaching assignment- if a teacher is .5 FTE, he or she only needs to stay for half of a staff meeting, half of parent-teacher conference time, half of a PD day, and so on.

We are on a trimester system, so if I was half time, I would teach two classes per day. A part time teacher who teaches 1st and 2nd hour, for example, would begin at around 7:20/7:30 and be done by about 10:15 each day. I could definitely see myself being able to recharge my teaching if I was in your position. I would highly recommend having a conversation with admin in your district before giving up on the idea It could be the perfect arrangement for you.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryleota View Post
This really depends on your district. Mine is generally pretty flexible when working with parents. I have strongly considered going part time when I start a family in a few years. Yes, there will still be time outside of your contracted hours spent on planning and grading, but that is to be expected with any teaching assignment. My school requires part time teachers to attend events in an amount of time proportional to the teaching assignment- if a teacher is .5 FTE, he or she only needs to stay for half of a staff meeting, half of parent-teacher conference time, half of a PD day, and so on.

We are on a trimester system, so if I was half time, I would teach two classes per day. A part time teacher who teaches 1st and 2nd hour, for example, would begin at around 7:20/7:30 and be done by about 10:15 each day. I could definitely see myself being able to recharge my teaching if I was in your position. I would highly recommend having a conversation with admin in your district before giving up on the idea It could be the perfect arrangement for you.
Our district claims to do that, too. But, in practice it really does not work out. Such as the items at the staff meeting/staff development that pertain to your subject or grade are scattered throughout the meeting so part time people have to stay for the entire meeting/day. Or the parents that you need to have a conference with are scattered though out the day (because of the other teachers that they are meeting with/siblings/their schedule, etc).

If your district really honors part-timers time that it is wonderful but, frankly, I think that is not common.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:58 AM

16 posts, read 26,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Our district claims to do that, too. But, in practice it really does not work out. Such as the items at the staff meeting/staff development that pertain to your subject or grade are scattered throughout the meeting so part time people have to stay for the entire meeting/day. Or the parents that you need to have a conference with are scattered though out the day (because of the other teachers that they are meeting with/siblings/their schedule, etc).

If your district really honors part-timers time that it is wonderful but, frankly, I think that is not common.
Fair enough I guess I won't know for sure until I go part time! I suppose I should consider myself lucky to work in a district where this does work out.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryleota View Post

I want to teach where you do - part-time equates to a 2 hour 45 minute day? Two hours and 55 minutes max? Even subs around here work minimum 3 hours 45 minutes for half a day. When I taught part-time it was not under 4 hours a day - ever.

Do you get up half way into a parent teacher conference and leave?

ETA: Hang on a second - I just read your posts in other threads/forums. Are you discussing a non-degreed preschool position? Because, yes, those can very easily be made into part-time jobs, although I am surprised they are less than three hours in duration.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Read poster's other posts which changed understanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching