Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:20 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

I have a rule in my classroom which states that if there is trash on the floor, no one is allowed to leave until it's cleaned up. All of my students agreed to this at the beginning of the year. I have their signatures and of the parents too.

Yesterday, my 3rd block class left trash on the floor (those ruffles from spiral bound paper, crumpled up paper, and other random papers), so I made them clean up the floor before they were allowed to leave(the mess which their class caused). It takes all of 30sec with everyone working together.

Last night, I got a nasty email from a parent stating that I treated her daughter like an "unpaid janitor" by having her clean up the floor.

In Japan, schools sometimes do not have custodians because the students are responsible for keeping the classroom clean. I'm hoping that my clean classroom rule transfers over to the rest of their lives. How many times have you gone into a public restroom, only to find trash all over the floor? People seem to have this mentality that "if it's not mine and I'm not responsible for cleaning it, I don't care." By allowing my students to leave with the floor dirty, it further supports this mentality.

Instead of after school detention, I'm all for having students clean classrooms. After all, the students are the ones who make a mess.

What are your rules for keeping the classroom clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
As long as you leave a minute or two BEFORE the dismissal bell to allow them this cleaning time, I don't think it's a bad policy. I would not be in favor of keeping them AFTER dismissal.

A local private school does not have janitors and carves out 20 minutes at the end of the day in which the students do those tasks, including cleaning the dining room and bathrooms. It teaches personal responsibility and makes them think twice about making a mess.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
First let me say, I get your rationale. However, one of the problems with a policy like that is that for the most part the kids that pick up the crap are usually not the ones who caused it. I used to cruise my room the last couple of minutes as they were writing exit slips or final thoughts in their notebook in part so I could stop where I saw mess and ask the group that was nearest to it to pick it up. Usually they would all look at the culprit and he, because it usually was a he, would pick it up.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First let me say, I get your rationale. However, one of the problems with a policy like that is that for the most part the kids that pick up the crap are usually not the ones who caused it. I used to cruise my room the last couple of minutes as they were writing exit slips or final thoughts in their notebook in part so I could stop where I saw mess and ask the group that was nearest to it to pick it up. Usually they would all look at the culprit and he, because it usually was a he, would pick it up.
Good points.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I might start trying this instead. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Sometimes, when I would notice the floor had become especially messy, I would draw the students' attention to it and told them that everyone had to pick up one piece of trash from the floor as their ticket out the door. As they exited the room, I held the trashcan at the door.

30 seconds before the bell I would say, "Everyone look under or around your desk and pick up a piece of trash, no matter how small." And, of course, they got sincere, appreciative comments as they deposited their "ticket".

It never became a problem.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
I would've replied to that note with a note along the lines of

Children learn social skills at school also. One of those social skills is Cleaning Up After Yourself and Sharing Chores. This will serve them well at their future workplaces where they will be expected to clean up at the end of the day by their employers.

Thereby giving a dig and a finger wave at those parents who don't teach their children to tidy their own mess.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I think a policy is bad. Just tell the one nearest the trash to pick it up. It does not take long to figure out who the pigs are, then single them out. If parents whine, so be it!

Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I would've replied to that note with a note along the lines of

Children learn social skills at school also. One of those social skills is Cleaning Up After Yourself and Sharing Chores. This will serve them well at their future workplaces where they will be expected to clean up at the end of the day by their employers.

Thereby giving a dig and a finger wave at those parents who don't teach their children to tidy their own mess.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I have similar rules in my classroom. One of the biggest issues I have is that the kids get pea gravel in their shoes and it comes into the classroom. Well, some students can't help themselves and throw it around the room. So, if I catch them, they miss a part of their recess to do some community service in my room. They pick up all the rocks they can find on the ground.

I like the response Cinderslipper gave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching