Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
As for those that worry about job protection for life for ineffective teachers...well those people should be complaining about administrators who don't do their job. You can get rid of union teachers who deserve it.
In many cases, this simply isn't true. Books and documentaries have been made about it--by liberal pro-union type people.

Radical: Fighting to Put Students First: Michelle Rhee: 9780062203984: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Superm...n%3A2650304011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
I have taught in a unionized district and a non-unionized district.

The differences are shocking.

Union

Salary step increases, every year ($2,000 a year).
Great benefits
Respect for our time
Pay for time worked over contract time. (Emergency meeting at 3:30? We are paid)
Tuition reimbursement
Protected lunch
Principal must sub when they can't get a sub.
Union rep can sit in on contentious meetings
Observations/evaluations are done professionally, fairly.

I feel protected. I feel respected. I feel valued. My voice matters in the school climate.

Non-Union

No pay/step increases. (One teacher who taught for 13 years in the district and had not hit $40,000).
I repeat. No salary increases. Ever. No salary increases.
Paid for own personal days.
Teachers covered other classes if there wasn't a sub available. We were not paid for this.
Evaluations/observations that verged on bullying and intimidation.
No protected lunch.

If I teach for 20 years in my current unionized district, I will earn $78,000 in my final year. I started at $44,000 a year.

If I taught for 20 years at my non-unionized district, I would earn $34,000 in my final year. I started at $34,000 a year.

I would not teach in a non-unionized district. I have too much respect for myself.

Last edited by eric351982; 05-08-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 10:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I have taught in a unionized district and a non-unionized district.

The differences are shocking.

Union

Salary step increases, every year ($2,000 a year).
Great benefits
Respect for our time
Pay for time worked over contract time. (Emergency meeting at 3:30? We are paid)
Tuition reimbursement
Protected lunch
Principal must sub when they can't get a sub.
Union rep can sit in on contentious meetings
Observations/evaluations are done professionally, fairly.

I feel protected. I feel respected. I feel valued. My voice matters in the school climate.

Non-Union

No pay/step increases. (One teacher who taught for 13 years in the district and had not hit $40,000).
I repeat. No salary increases. Ever. No salary increases.
Paid for own personal days.
Teachers covered other classes if there wasn't a sub available. We were not paid for this.
Evaluations/observations that verged on bullying and intimidation.
No protected lunch.

If I teach for 20 years in my current unionized district, I will earn $78,000 in my final year. I started at $44,000 a year.

If I taught for 20 years at my non-unionized district, I would earn $34,000 in my final year. I started at $34,000 a year.

I would not teach in a non-unionized district. I have too much respect for myself.
This really can't be made as a blanket statement for all union/non-union districts. I really think it varies. I grew up in Ohio and went to college in PA. I still have friends/acquaintances who live and teach in those areas. They are unionized by every sense of the word, but they have had years during which their pay has been frozen.

I am in Virginia, which is a Right To Work State. My district has NEA and AFT locals in addition to some other smaller employee groups. I belong to AFT, but membership is not required and we do not have collective bargaining. While we have unions and associations I would not say we are unionized. While everything is not glitter and unicorns, it not as harsh as you show above.

This is my 23rd year with the district. For all but a few years we have received both step and COLAs. There have been a few during which we received one or the other but not both and just a couple during which we received neither. I'd say overall it has been similar to what those I know teaching in unionized districts have received. Benefits are okay-good IMO.

Our pay scale has an increase for every year of service. There are no plateaus. The BA column goes to step 23, followed by longevity steps. We have additional pay bands for BA+15, BA+30, MA, MA+30 and PhD. Extended day gets extra pay. I make about $63k more today than I made when I started 23 years ago. I currently make $35k more than a first year teacher with a MA. With next year's step and COLA I'll receive a pay bump of about $4k. The district is budgeting an additional $40 million to prop up the middle steps on the scale which they say is currently more significantly below market average according to a study they had done. Some teachers in the middle will see a raise of almost $10k with the step, across the board COLA and additional money being applied to mid-career steps. BA on our current scale ranges from $47k-$86.5k. The MA ranges from $52.8k - 97.8k.

I feel our time is respected. Two student holidays/teacher work days are given as "alternate work location" days. There is one in the fall and one in the spring. I have to have at least 300 minutes of planning per week with a minimum of 240 unencumbered (it's my time, not meeting time unless I agree to it). We have a guaranteed duty free lunch. I admit I don't know what would happen if a sub position was not filled. I haven't experienced that at the elementary level. Meetings are limited in number and length. There also has to be a certain amount of notice. I personally have not had one before/after school staff meeting this school year.

We earn 12 days of leave per year. 5 of those days can be used for personal leave.

Everything is spelled out for our evaluation process. I think it is done professionally and fairly.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In many cases, this simply isn't true. Books and documentaries have been made about it--by liberal pro-union type people.

Radical: Fighting to Put Students First: Michelle Rhee: 9780062203984: Amazon.com: Books

Right, because Rhee, Canada, and Guggenheim don't have their own agenda?

Old 05-08-2016, 02:19 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Right, because Rhee, Canada, and Guggenheim don't have their own agenda?

In a previous century Michelle Rhee would have been a traveling snake oil saleswoman.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What school districts in New York aren't unionized? I thought they all were since the right for public employees to organize is protected in the Taylor Law
Is it right to organize, or right to collectively bargain?
Missouri has a right to collectively bargain, but not to organize. So teachers have temporary bargaining units for contract negotiations, but cannot form unions (with the exception of two districts). Instead, they have voluntary professional organizations (mostly NEA chapters) who do collective bargaining, but cannot represent the teachers individually or on any issues other than the limits of collective bargaining.
This has led to a wide range of simply stupid lifestyle laws in Missouri, like the law passed a few years ago that banned teachers from using facebook or sending text messages to their own biological children.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

Yes, lets take a cheater as the guide by which to set the education system. What could go wrong?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Pros:
Higher pay
Excellent benefits including 100% tuition
Internal postings
Better job protection

Cons:
Idiot coworkers who have been saved by said job protection!

I have a great union, that's the only negative.

You get tuition? We pay our own in Michigan.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:

You have to do your homework. What you can't do is try to fire a teacher for behaviors that you don't even discipline in other teachers. However, if you do your homework and document everything you can indeed dismiss a teacher. All tenure does is entitle you to due process.

Michigan is now a right to work state so the only benefits left are legal representation should we need it and the union fights to keep our class sizes manageable. Collective bargaining has resulted in no step increases for the last 8 years and we've been told flat out there won't be any for several more. It's just lovely being stuck at entry level pay permanently.

Cons: Union dues. With each passing year with no step increase it gets more attractive to not be in a union but my wages wouldn't be any better if I weren't and I'd have no one on my side if something went wrong so they get my $1000/year.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 PM

97 posts, read 146,836 times
Virtually all of NY's public schools are represented by a union and a strong one at that. I work in a NY public school and challenge anyone from a right to work state to compare salary, benefits, retirement, and job protection. Union membership has some downsides but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. Teaching in NY has been difficult the past few years. I can guarantee you that even at our lowest we are are superior in almost every regard to working as teacher in right to work state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching