Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I know a principal from my district who posted a personal plea on Facebook asking for anyone who knew of anyone looking for a job to please send them his way.
Wow. I saw where Fairfax still had over 300 vacancies. That is quite concerning when there just a couple of weeks left before school. I even saw a few Social Studies openings.

I have been saying for a couple of years that as soon as the economy improved teachers would leave the profession and there would be shortages even in "good" school systems. Teachers have been under a high powered microscope, the assumption is that they are at fault for problems created beyond their control, and unrealistic expectations have been enforced with threat of their job if they don't meet them. They are constantly accused of being underworked and overpaid when they know the hours they put in and how little their paycheck covers. And, probably the biggest factor, everyone thinks they know how to do their job better than they do and feel "since they are paying their paycheck" that they should be able to tell them how to do their job better. You just can't treat a profession as a whole like society's whipping boy and expect people to want to enter that profession or remain in it. It becomes a job people only take in desperation. No one should be surprised that as other jobs and professions open up teachers are jumping ship. Once a person is able to find multiple employment options that meet their financial needs, job satisfaction and working environment become the deciding factor.

Society may want to pay close attention to the factors that are creating these shortages of teachers - it is coming soon to law enforcement.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-17-2016 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:02 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wow. I saw where Fairfax still had over 300 vacancies. That is quite concerning when there just a couple of weeks left before school. I even saw a few Social Studies openings.

I have been saying for a couple of years that as soon as the economy improved teachers would leave the profession and there would be shortages even in "good" school systems. Teachers have been under a high powered microscope, the assumption is that they are at fault for problems created beyond their control, and unrealistic expectations have been enforced with threat of their job if they don't meet them. They are constantly accused of being underworked and overpaid when they know the hours they put in and how little their paycheck covers. And, probably the biggest factor, everyone thinks they know how to do their job better than they do and feel "since they are paying their paycheck" that they should be able to tell them how to do their job better. You just can't treat a profession as a whole like society's whipping boy and expect people to want to enter that profession or remain in it. It becomes a job people only take in desperation. No one should be surprised that as other jobs and professions open up teachers are jumping ship. Once a person is able to find multiple employment options that meet their financial needs, job satisfaction and working environment become the deciding factor.

Society may want to pay close attention to the factors that are creating these shortages of teachers - it is coming soon to law enforcement.

Still no shortage here in Michigan. I wonder why given that it has been over 10 years since many districts have given new teachers steps. I have heard of a few districts giving steps this year but mine isn't one of them . I'm surprised anyone is going into teaching given you're stuck at your starting wage pretty much forever here in Michigan (I know young teachers in Minnesota who say the same thing so it's not just here). We need a shortage here to make districts realize they cannot do this to their teachers and expect to have teachers but we still have a glut here so they get away with it. I predict within 10 years Michigan will see a shortage of teachers as well. I'm surprised we don't have one in STEM now but we don't except in the major cities where working conditions are terrible.

We already have a shortage of new recruits for law enforcement in my county.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,096,043 times
Schools in Orange County, CA even have job openings still, and it's typically been very difficult to get a job there these past years. However, it's very difficult to afford living there on a single teacher's salary, especially now that the cost of living is skyrocketing even more than it already was.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:09 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

My school has general ed classroom positions advertised. This is at a school with strong support all around(home, admin.). In the past positions never went unfilled. Last year they had trouble filling spots. The positions we have currently have been posted for weeks. I spoke with my AP today and she said they have received one resume'. One.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM

4,389 posts, read 4,249,603 times
We have over 400 vacancies in our district, not just teachers, but also bus drivers. The district will have another job fair this weekend. We are in our second week of school with hardly any applications coming in.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Still no shortage here in Michigan. I wonder why given that it has been over 10 years since many districts have given new teachers steps. I have heard of a few districts giving steps this year but mine isn't one of them . I'm surprised anyone is going into teaching given you're stuck at your starting wage pretty much forever here in Michigan (I know young teachers in Minnesota who say the same thing so it's not just here). We need a shortage here to make districts realize they cannot do this to their teachers and expect to have teachers but we still have a glut here so they get away with it. I predict within 10 years Michigan will see a shortage of teachers as well. I'm surprised we don't have one in STEM now but we don't except in the major cities where working conditions are terrible.

We already have a shortage of new recruits for law enforcement in my county.
Several reasons:

1. Michigan is consistently identified as one of the top five States for treating teachers well. So, lots of teachers form other States apply for any openings that come up.

2. Eastern Michigan University is the largest teaching college in the USA. U-M, MSU, WSU, Western, GVSU, and Central also turn out considerable numbers of teachers each year.

3. Michigan is finally getting positive instead of negative media attention again. People are starting to realize it is one of the most beautiful States and outside of Detroit can be one of the most appealing places to live in the US. Even Detroit is now being touted as a place of opportunity rather than a place to die.

4. This is my personal WAG, but as things get hotter and hotter elsewhere, northern States like Michigan will have more appeal. Sure we have a couple of winter weeks where you cannot go outside, but at least our summers are mostly pleasant.

5. As to stem, engineering has always been in high demand in Michigan. Thus kids tend to be pushed in Stem subject more. As a result we might have more stem trained teachers coming out of our universities.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Several reasons:

1. Michigan is consistently identified as one of the top five States for treating teachers well. So, lots of teachers form other States apply for any openings that come up.

2. Eastern Michigan University is the largest teaching college in the USA. U-M, MSU, WSU, Western, GVSU, and Central also turn out considerable numbers of teachers each year.

3. Michigan is finally getting positive instead of negative media attention again. People are starting to realize it is one of the most beautiful States and outside of Detroit can be one of the most appealing places to live in the US. Even Detroit is now being touted as a place of opportunity rather than a place to die.

4. This is my personal WAG, but as things get hotter and hotter elsewhere, northern States like Michigan will have more appeal. Sure we have a couple of winter weeks where you cannot go outside, but at least our summers are mostly pleasant.

5. As to stem, engineering has always been in high demand in Michigan. Thus kids tend to be pushed in Stem subject more. As a result we might have more stem trained teachers coming out of our universities.

But they don't treat teachers well. It's been 10 years since my district gave step increases to new teachers. When I dared complain about the fact it's going to be at least another 3 years before I see a step increase the union rep told me to get a second job but to make sure it doesn't interfere with my teaching job. In other words, get used to it. This is the new reality. Your starting wage is your permanent wage. We can thank the previous governor for that one. She decided that schools don't have to give step increases so they don't. Her intent was that they would only not give them to those who didn't earn them but they saw it as a way to pad their bank account by not giving them to anyone. Sadly I will not see a livable wage before I retire. If I'm lucky I'll see 3 or 4 step increases in the next 12 years. Given how Michigan treats teachers today I am surprised that we aren't seeing shortages somewhere but we're not. There are more teachers than jobs in all areas except a select few foreign languages like German for example.

I agree that we graduate a lot of teachers. I also agree it's a nice place to live outside of Detroit. Opportunities in Detroit are kind of limited to the childless. While they are moving in to the downtown and new center areas they move out just as quickly once they have kids because they will not send them to Detroit schools and I don't blame them.

Actually, the reason Michigan has a glut of STEM teachers is they blessed what were supposed to be middle school only certs (The DI cert)to teach high school science in order to avoid a shortage of science teachers. When they did this they created a super cert that considers holders highly qualified to teach ALL science in grades 6-12. This super flexible cert is the one school districts want. They'd rather hire my friend Susan who never even took a chemistry lab in college to teach chemistry than me with over 80 credits in chemistry because they can put her anywhere but I only fit in a few places. If you look at only DC and DE certs for chemistry and physics we'd have a shortage. There are lots of people who have the integrated science cert though so we have a glut. It has nothing to do with engineering demand. Former engineers like myself don't get the DI cert. We get subject specific certs because we're already concentrated in our subject area.

I can't explain the glut of math teachers but we REALLY have a glut of math teachers. I was one of 150 applicants for the last math job I applied for. I only get calls from charter schools and Detroit for math positions.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-18-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM

153 posts, read 381,221 times
Montgomery County, MD has a shortage as well. Teachers report tomorrow. We had to add a 7th kindergarten class at my school. We interviewed two people today and hired the first one. We had to go with with one that we felt would be able to adapt to the public school setting and learning new things quickly. We will also have to hire another first grade teacher. The principal said in between interviews that the district has a shortage and that principals are emailing each other about how many interviews they were landing .
ETA-260 various teacher positions are open right now.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times
We just qualified for another teacher. They now need to hire two teachers for our building. It's been difficult enough to hire just one.

Our total enrollment is now about 55-60 students greater than where we ended the past school year.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,736,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersmom722 View Post
Montgomery County, MD has a shortage as well. Teachers report tomorrow. We had to add a 7th kindergarten class at my school. We interviewed two people today and hired the first one. We had to go with with one that we felt would be able to adapt to the public school setting and learning new things quickly. We will also have to hire another first grade teacher. The principal said in between interviews that the district has a shortage and that principals are emailing each other about how many interviews they were landing .
ETA-260 various teacher positions are open right now.
It's really a shame that some districts are forced to hire teachers out of desperation and not because they are the best candidate for the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching