Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM

525 posts, read 406,820 times

Advertisements

Hey you all. Most of the avid posters probably have came across many of my posts about me leaving my GA Pre-K teacher job.

Today I sent in my letter of resignation. I thought that maybe I was going to quit with any arguing because I sent everything by email.

Well today the director and site director noticed that THE ITEMS I BOUGHT WITH MY MONEY was missing out of my classroom and I told her that is because I got them out of there over the weekend.

She got angry and wanted to meet with me. She told me that if I do not meet with her that she will hold my paycheck! That is against the law.

She then stated that me coming into AN OPEN BUILDING during the weekend would be considered theft by taking!

How can that be theft by taking if I am taking my things and was given permission to come in the building by the supervisor?

The problem is that most of the supplies in the classroom was mine. Including the pictures I took of the children. She's mad because she now has to come out of pocket with most of the materials.

I came to the meeting humble and listened to what she had to say. She raised her voice at my dad who I decided to bring with me as a witness.

What can I do in this situation. I am still getting paid Friday, but can I report her or just let it go?
did I do anything illegal as a teacher?

Old 11-21-2016, 03:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Did you save the receipts? Teaching supplies are tax deductible so most teachers save their receipts, especially for expensive items. Did you at least charge them on a credit card? If your cc statements show that you bought these supplies at an educational website or store like Lakeshore, then that would be proof too.

You may wish to talk to a lawyer regarding withholding your pay. If you can find one who would be willing to write your supervisor a letter, that alone may solve your problems as your supervisor may not want to get involved in a time-consuming suit. You can also seek out employee-rights organizations or advocates nonprofits, if they are available in your state/area.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did you save the receipts? Teaching supplies are tax deductible so most teachers save their receipts, especially for expensive items. Did you at least charge them on a credit card? If your cc statements show that you bought these supplies at an educational website or store like Lakeshore, then that would be proof too.

You may wish to talk to a lawyer regarding withholding your pay. If you can find one who would be willing to write your supervisor a letter, that alone may solve your problems as your supervisor may not want to get involved in a time-consuming suit. You can also seek out employee-rights organizations or advocates nonprofits, if they are available in your state/area.

Yes I did save some of the receipts of the items. I wish I would have saved all of the receipts.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,886 times
You should seek legal advice. In Georgia, apparently, there are few laws protecting employees and it is apparently legal to withhold pay under theft circumstances (I understand you say you bought the items, so here is the dispute). She may not be commuting a crime by doing so. Now, common sense would have been not to go in over the weekend and clear out, so you may find yourself needing to go to small claims to recover your wages.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:21 PM

480 posts, read 668,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Did you save the receipts? Teaching supplies are tax deductible so most teachers save their receipts, especially for expensive items.
She's not a teacher. She's a daycare worker. Daycare workers are not eligible for the teacher tax deduction.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
I really hope you didn't try to take the pictures of the kids. Please tell me you're not being that petty.

What type of materials are we talking about?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I really hope you didn't try to take the pictures of the kids. Please tell me you're not being that petty.

What type of materials are we talking about?

Yes, I took those pictures because they were mine. They were taken from my camera and printed from my phone.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You should seek legal advice. In Georgia, apparently, there are few laws protecting employees and it is apparently legal to withhold pay under theft circumstances (I understand you say you bought the items, so here is the dispute). She may not be commuting a crime by doing so. Now, common sense would have been not to go in over the weekend and clear out, so you may find yourself needing to go to small claims to recover your wages.

The building was open, and I was still an employee. I was also told that I am able to come and get my items

Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Yes, I took those pictures because they were mine. They were taken from my camera and printed from my phone.
That is breaking privacy laws. It doesn't matter who's camera or where they are printed. You need to return those. What are you going to do with them? You're being very petty. They should go home with the kids or stay at school for them to use. You really have no interest in what's best for the kids.

Are you fighting over pens too?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That is breaking privacy laws. It doesn't matter who's camera or where they are printed. You need to return those. What are you going to do with them? You're being very petty. They should go home with the kids or stay at school for them to use. You really have no interest in what's best for the kids.

Are you fighting over pens too?

LOL! I thought about this! I am emailing her all the photos I took during my employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching