Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:50 AM

501 posts, read 933,194 times

Advertisements

What apps on a smartphone or tablet do your kids use the most? I'm not referring to just "teaching" apps but apps in general. What do you see kids doing with their smartphones, both at school and away from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 04:15 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Social media apps like Snapchat and Instagram most prominently. Some games as well, like Color Switch.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 AM

609 posts, read 808,352 times
Instagram, vine, snap chat.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:14 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Snap Chat. It's also the app I use the most with them.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Social media apps like Snapchat and Instagram most prominently. Some games as well, like Color Switch.
Same here. IMO technology is more of a distraction to education than a help.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Infinite Campus..... she checks her grades, yep I'm raising THAT kid. LOL

Other than that, she plays minecraft and undertales.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Same here. IMO technology is more of a distraction to education than a help.
I've been able to get a few of my students hooked on DuoLingo to learn new languages or Khan Academy for math, but what I have noticed is that their interest in these learning apps usually fizzles out after short periods of time.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I've been able to get a few of my students hooked on DuoLingo to learn new languages or Khan Academy for math, but what I have noticed is that their interest in these learning apps usually fizzles out after short periods of time.

They're just not interested in using technology to learn. They prefer to use it to avoid learning by doing things like getting pictures of tests, or googling answers. On the last test I gave I had about a dozen students give an answer that is straight off of Wikipedia. I don't know how they managed that as I try to watch carefully. Still they manage.

I want a device that renders cell phones useless in my room but that is illegal.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
In my class, we use Kahoot.
I create multiple choice quizzes on my laptop using the Kahoot website and the kids can either download the terrific Kahoot app or just play live on their phone without it using their browser.
Every Wednesday in my class is Kahoot Day. The students love it. There is musical background, it looks fun, it gives standings after each question, and the kids can do individual or in teams. They can watch their phones while they play or watch the projection from my laptop on the big screen while I act like Drew Carey on The Price Is Right. I give my top three finishers extra credit points after each week's game. It takes about fifteen minutes to do it in class, and maybe about 45 minutes to create a quiz during my planning period. You can log in and save your quizzes in your account, or "steal" another teacher's Kahoot quiz nationwide from whatever topic you "search" for. It's a whole database. So easy to do. And a great reinforcer for my subject material.
Best in-class invention for teachers in the past decade.
I'm high school social studies, by the way. But I've seen little kids get even more into it. So much fun.
And it's free.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 PM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
In my class, we use Kahoot.
I create multiple choice quizzes on my laptop using the Kahoot website and the kids can either download the terrific Kahoot app or just play live on their phone without it using their browser.
Every Wednesday in my class is Kahoot Day. The students love it. There is musical background, it looks fun, it gives standings after each question, and the kids can do individual or in teams. They can watch their phones while they play or watch the projection from my laptop on the big screen while I act like Drew Carey on The Price Is Right. I give my top three finishers extra credit points after each week's game. It takes about fifteen minutes to do it in class, and maybe about 45 minutes to create a quiz during my planning period. You can log in and save your quizzes in your account, or "steal" another teacher's Kahoot quiz nationwide from whatever topic you "search" for. It's a whole database. So easy to do. And a great reinforcer for my subject material.
Best in-class invention for teachers in the past decade.
I'm high school social studies, by the way. But I've seen little kids get even more into it. So much fun.
And it's free.
Do all of your students have smart phones with data plans?

What do they do if they do not have smart phones? How do you ensure that they are not left out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching