Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Maximum salary for a teacher in NYC DOE is now $120,000. Source: Teacher salaries to range from $54,411 to $119,565 in new contract, UFT says | Chalkbeat

Note, you'll get this salary after 22 years with an MA (you'll need an MA to get tenure anyway). The average NYC teacher salary is around $80,000 last time I checked. No, you don't start out making this much (starting salary is around $50,000), but the point is that there are many teachers earning above $100,000 in NYC alone.
The key phrase is bolded. krug is in the midwest and it's probably true that (s)he has not met any teachers making 6 figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 PM

926 posts, read 829,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not true. For three years I traveled from interview to interview with the same group of former engineers and scientists who went into teaching when they were downsized out of their industry jobs. I was lucky and only had to work for charter schools for two years. My certs are math, chemistry and physics and I know I'm lucky to have a job in a district. Too many of my peers are stuck in low paying charter schools because they can't find jobs in districts. I was once one of 150 applicants for three math positions.

The only jobs here are in charter schools where you teach 7 classes of 36 students per day. That workload is so heavy you can't do this job right. We still have a glut of teachers except for the inner city.
Well that is odd. My county's Education budget rises 5 million dollars per year. For a system with about 60,000 students, a 500 million dollar annual budget and average 16 students per classroom. I guess I was wrong for judging the entire country based on a local school district.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The key phrase is bolded. krug is in the midwest and it's probably true that (s)he has not met any teachers making 6 figures.
True, but I don't doubt krug's word that s/he hasn't met any teachers making 6 figures. Rather, I merely gave an example of a location where teachers do make that kind of money. I was careful not to generalize, and noted the location. But the OP is against her/his son becoming a teacher, period, in part due to her/her view that teachers don't earn much. My posts refutes that and provides some context.

Btw, Chicago's max salary is close to six figures (about $92,000 from what I'm finding). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee52be712f3f

And there are plenty of cities where the average annual salary for public school teachers is above the $40k that the OP mentioned in her first post: https://teach.com/blog/highest-lowest-teacher-salaries/

Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCollie View Post
Tell me about it.... I'm qualified for positions at the college and university level but have never even had a single interview. I finally gave up applying for higher ed. On top of it, their applications are so specific and time consuming. It isn't like you could just send the same thing you would have sent to another school.
Applications? Are you applying for a position as admin. assistants, other clerical staff position, house-keeping, or cafeteria/dining hall staff? For teaching positions, I've never known colleges and universities to put much stock in applications other than basic demographics for federal reporting mandates. Colleges/universitiess are interested in your CV (curriculum vitae).

Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I've been a teacher for 26 years, many good days, some average, some horrific. In my opinion, the profession of teacher gets worse every year. More responsibilities, more blame, more administrators, more discipline problems, less effort, less pay, less respect. Some of you know me, I believe education is fast becoming a "service" profession, as in counter help.

My son is high school senior, and has been interested in teaching for a couple of years, he likes history and wants to coach. I've always encouraged him, but...last night, in an epiphany of sorts, I forbade him from becoming a teacher. I shared with him my opinions, experiences, and my "glimpse" into the future. I will support you in any college/career choice, but you cannot be a teacher.

I used this scenario, which is coming from the aspect of a middle aged man. Imagine son, you are at a gathering of your peers, 22-25 or so. I nice looking woman comes up to you and you engage in a conversation. She is the "one". She asks what do you do, "I'm a teacher", she walks away. You see son, 40K a year is not what a man makes to support an eventual family. You need to apply yourself, and become something greater, which is not a teacher.

I'd love to hear your comments.
It depends where he teaches. My friend is a teacher/coach and makes over $90K. A lot of women get turned on by humanitarian men who care about kids. So he won't marry a materialistic woman. Rejoice.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
More true in the rural Midwest than suburban, as previously indicated. But, we all choose where we teach.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True, but I don't doubt krug's word that s/he hasn't met any teachers making 6 figures. Rather, I merely gave an example of a location where teachers do make that kind of money. I was careful not to generalize, and noted the location. But the OP is against her/his son becoming a teacher, period, in part due to her/her view that teachers don't earn much. My posts refutes that and provides some context.

Btw, Chicago's max salary is close to six figures (about $92,000 from what I'm finding). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ee52be712f3f
Chicago Public Schools, yes. Affluent suburban districts, opportunities for more.

OP is likely not teaching in the urban or suburban Midwest, however. In rural and midsized community schools in the Midwest, six-figure salaries are typically only found in the occasional administrator salary.

At any rate, though, what one may expect, salary-wise, and where in the country one may expect that is kind of inconsequential to the thread. What's really the key point is whether it's appropriate parenting to "forbid" a child who is nearing college age to consider pursuing a given career track that is of interest, and for which the individual professes an aptitude.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Send him to law school. ....
"Son thou shalt be an electrician!"

Did not work for me, but hopefully you will have better luck with that.

Didn't work for Me Either!!!
We homeschooled, so our kids had to design and build their own homes from scratch (grade 8-10). THAT experience kept them in college, they NO WAY wanted to run a shovel, plumbing or wiring the rest of their career life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Your kid should make his own career choices.

guide your kids, but not direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
It depends where he teaches.....
There are MANY great teaching options (including public schools) and there are many ways to apply your teaching to OTHER careers than Public schools. Many friends have LOVED their assignments in DOD schools around the world, others still enjoying teaching in USA and abroad in public, private and NGO's

Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
I used this scenario, which is coming from the aspect of a middle aged man. Imagine son, you are at a gathering of your peers, 22-25 or so. I nice looking woman comes up to you and you engage in a conversation. She is the "one"."one" what? She asks what do you do, "I'm a teacher", she walks away. You see son, 40K a year is not what a man makes to support an eventual family.Well if she walks away because of how much money he doesn't make, then we know what kind of woman she is, lol You need to apply yourself, and become something greater, which is not a teacher.

There is no "one".

Old 02-06-2017, 12:01 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
Quote:
I've been a teacher for 26 years, many good days, some average, some horrific. In my opinion, the profession of teacher gets worse every year. More responsibilities, more blame, more administrators, more discipline problems, less effort, less pay, less respect. Some of you know me, I believe education is fast becoming a "service" profession, as in counter help.

My son is high school senior, and has been interested in teaching for a couple of years, he likes history and wants to coach. I've always encouraged him, but...last night, in an epiphany of sorts, I forbade him from becoming a teacher. I shared with him my opinions, experiences, and my "glimpse" into the future. I will support you in any college/career choice, but you cannot be a teacher.

I used this scenario, which is coming from the aspect of a middle aged man. Imagine son, you are at a gathering of your peers, 22-25 or so. I nice looking woman comes up to you and you engage in a conversation. She is the "one". She asks what do you do, "I'm a teacher", she walks away. You see son, 40K a year is not what a man makes to support an eventual family. You need to apply yourself, and become something greater, which is not a teacher.

Wow. That's just wrong on so many levels. First, you cannot forbid your son to choose a profession he wants. That's just an awful thing to do that may well destroy your relationship with your son.
Second, women aren't going to walk away from him because he's a teacher. That's absurd. Third, teachers where I live start at $55,000 a year and go to over $100k. They have summers off and many work over the summer for additional income. Many tutor for $70 an hour, a nice part time job. One friend teaches music at a pubic school, making $65,000 a year and is paid $100 an hour after school at a private school giving private music lessions. Teachers can move into administration work and easily make over $100k. I have a close friend who has become and elementary principal after years of teaching. He and his stay-at-home wife and five kids have a beautiful house on 4 acres of land, lots of pets, and a great life.

Our Superintendent of schools is the highest paid person in our county, $256,000 a year. He began as a teacher.

My own father was a history teacher who taught for a few years and then had an excellent career with the federal government.

Please don't try to determine your son's future based on your past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching