Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,844,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Get the student and faculty/staff handbooks for the schools you're subbing at. Read them. The policies should be clearly spelled out. Obviously it varies from location to location.

It also helps if you arrive to the job early enough to carefully read through the entire sub plan ahead of time, so you can clarify any questionable points with the site admin or department head.

I think in most cases it's rather disrespectful when subs override the policies or lesson plans of the teacher they're subbing for, unless it's a situation where they've been directed otherwise by a higher-up, or there is some extraordinary circumstance. You're undermining that teacher and potentially making their job more difficult when they return. There may be valid reasons for the instructions you disagree with, which you are not privy to. (For example, let's say you allow a student to go to the restroom during class, despite the sub plan explicitly telling you not to, then it turns out that student is on an IEP for an emotional disturbance and engages in self-harm - so the restriction was part of his or her behavior plan. The teacher couldn't put any of that background info in their sub plan, only the bald-faced instruction.) If you are concerned that their classroom policies are actually in violation of some school, district, state or federal policy or law, then that's something to clarify tactfully with an admin, but generally speaking, a sub's job is to implement the sub plan, no more, no less. (Long-term sub positions, like for maternity leave, may be different, of course.)

It doesn't really matter if you (think you) are a better teacher than the regular classroom teacher - they're the ones responsible for implementing yearlong plans, and they presumably know the students and the school culture more closely. You're only there for a day or two.
Thank you for sharing your (condescending and presumptuous) opinions.
If you read my original post, this is exactly what I am trying to determine. I HAVE asked Admin. only to be told to use common sense. Mainly I am curious if education policies in Hawaii are the same as the ones in California.
BTW: For the majority of teachers in the schools where I work, I am their FIRST choice as a sub.
I don't even need a job. I work because I enjoy it!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:23 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Can you cite the source of your facts? What you've written sounds like opinions to me. I am interested in finding actual facts, as applied in Hawaii, if it is different than in California.

At least two subs I know have received unfavorable reports written by teachers who aren't even credentialed and know far less about education than us. (We are retired teachers.)
I want to know what is legally correct. I have already heard plenty of opinions. (Try using those in court!)
Actually what you asked in your OP was whether that was true in the entire US. It is not true in NJ which is where I work.

The fact that you think a substitute gets to make policy is literally laughable. Teachers don’t even set most of the policy, boards of ed do. This is basic fact. If you are unclear go ask at the main office for the district.

As for whether the teacher gets to decide policy vs a substitute, again ask in the office for the substitute handbook. There will be no “law” about such things, it will be at the board of ed or individual school to decide. The fact that you think there are laws governing who sets classroom policy teachers, or subs, is bizarre.

And if subs have received unfavorable reviews for not following teachers instructions than you have your answer for that particular district right there.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
So you don't like being told what to do, OP.

How did you react when a sub did not follow the instructions you left? Or did you never miss a day in 30+ years? I bet you didn't.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,673,994 times
Quote:
In other words, you don't know either. Thanks for your insight. I do know this is a statewide policy in California. It isn't a big stretch to wonder if it is a national education policy as well.
Anyone else?
Yeah, that's pretty much my point. You're way off base if you think this is a question that has an easy answer that is applicable nationwide.

And if you do get the answer you want, what then? On your next assignment you tell the principal, "This stranger on the Internet told me that I get to set the rules in any classroom I'm working in"? Good luck with that.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
The rule is use common sense. There is not written rule for this. In any event you are a sub - do what you want. There are no classroom police coming to arrest you (unless you get way out of line). My wife subbed for several years. She did things her way. They loved her. Why? Because she actually did something other than telling the kids to be quiet so she could text or Facebook on her phone. Other than you cannot do anything illegal like hit a kid or molest them, there are no rules. If the regular teacher has a problem with the way you run a classroom, they will not have you back. It is not a rule or a law. A classroom is not a ship where the captain has certain legal powers in international waters.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Let me explain a situation I was in last year.

I was subbing for the lead teacher in a classroom that also had a Sp. Ed teacher for part of the day. The Sp. Ed teacher became angry when students were noisy as they entered the room. She announced that no one could use the bathroom (as punishment). Later a girl came to me in obvious distress and asked to go to the restroom. I let her go. The other teacher then said to me angrily: "I told them no one could go." I asked why she made this "rule"? She replied: "because they are all a$$holes!" I then stated that it is illegal to refuse someone in need and that she could be fired for it. She replied: "Let em try!" After that, she was hostile towards me for the remainder of the year. Fortunately I only saw her occasionally.

My concern was that since I was effectively the lead teacher for that day, could I be held accountable for this action even though I didn't make this poor decision?
(I did not report this situation but the other person was not rehired for this year. I don't know why.)

I am by no means a control freak and have no interest in trying to subvert another teacher's rules in a classroom. Sometimes I/We get left "rules" that are not necessarily reasonable. I also know that other subs have the same things happen to them, occasionally.

I am simply interested in finding out whether it is insubordinate to ignore unreasonable rules.
BTW: I am extremely popular with most teachers, students and Admin. and I am already booked for many days into Feb.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,876,410 times
Quote:
If you read my original post, this is exactly what I am trying to determine. I HAVE asked Admin. only to be told to use common sense. Mainly I am curious if education policies in Hawaii are the same as the ones in California.
BTW: For the majority of teachers in the schools where I work, I am their FIRST choice as a sub.
You seem to have a lot of ego wrapped up in this.

Have you or have you not obtained and read the schools' handbooks? Almost certainly the expectations for various staff are spelled out there. That would be the place to start, not grumping at strangers on the internet.

Of course "education policies" in Hawaii are not the same as those in California. It's a different state with a different state governing body.

Last edited by Frostnip; 12-01-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,088,039 times
Quote:
This sounds logical. Do you know of any websites where these policies might be spelled out for individual states?
State department of education websites... Although I imagine most states further devolve power to the district.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Then there is your answer.

If administration is not hung up on you adhering to any overarching policy, but instead trusts your common sense, go with that. Maybe get it in writing, though.

You should have access to Hawaii's Dept. of Education, though.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Then there is your answer.

If administration is not hung up on you adhering to any overarching policy, but instead trusts your common sense, go with that. Maybe get it in writing, though.

You should have access to Hawaii's Dept. of Education, though.
In retrospect I should have been more specific in my initial post. What I hoped was that someone would share a website where this information is spelled out. Instead I received a variety of opinions presented as facts. My bad.
In California, I got my information from California Teacher's Association Attorneys only because I was a union rep.
I intend to contact the union reps at schools where I work to see if they can procure similar information regarding Hawaii.

Several times, subs have told me stories of incidents where teachers overstep their authority.
Examples: Aside from the ever present restroom policies, certain teachers will tell us we MUST stay in the room at recess and lunch because student come there to hang out, eat, etc.. Other teachers say NO ONE is allowed in the room at recess or lunch. I have been ordered to remain 15 minutes after my duty hours end in case students show up to check out textbooks. Another sub was ordered to take work home to grade over the weekend, for a class she was only in for one day. Hall passes are also a big area of contention. An incident involving a tardy student went all the way to the State Superintendent for a decision last year.

These things don't happen often. I just like to be prepared when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching