Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM

129 posts, read 91,203 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity:
I see a number of colleges are on a hiring freeze due to Covid 19.
Is your school district still hiring for the fall semester?
Any cutbacks that you know of?

Last edited by pollypocket53132; 04-11-2020 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: skipped a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollypocket53132 View Post
Out of curiosity:
I see a number of colleges are on a hiring freeze due to Covid 19.
Is your school district still hiring for the fall semester?
Any cutbacks that you know of?
Undoubtedly, districts across America are in a holding pattern, waiting to see what will happen before they start hiring for next year.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:35 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
In academics, yes many are on hiring freezes. Although it depends. I'm in medical school-affiliated academics, and there are still searches being conducted although the time frames are pushed back a little. While some of the searches were looking for candidates to interview and start immediately, many are planning for late summer/fall starts now.

For traditional academics (university, K-12, etc.), I couldn't tell you. I read somewhere that many universities have freezed hiring (some for the next academic year). They are a little different than healthcare -related academics, because since we are affiliated with patient care and teaching is usually shared among several faculty members, we have people starting at odd times all the time (i.e. in the middle of a semester/quarter). For traditional academics where you need someone in place at the very start of a traditional semester/quarter, I could definitely see a hiring freeze and even the year long hiring freezes that some are doing.

Because if things to really get back going until the summer (~June/July), which it is seeming like could be a possibility now, that only gives a couple months for search-related activities and having someone in place by the start of Fall (which is a really tight turnaround).

Old 04-11-2020, 06:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
I think the trouble is no one yet knows what things are going to look like in the fall. There won't yet be a vaccine. Will things be under good enough control to send kids back to school exactly the way they were pre-covid? I'm guessing not.

Will they try going to half-day to implement social distancing? Core classes only? Keep elective teachers on but as subs and filling in other positions? I have no idea, but I'm guessing that some things we took for granted pre-covid (PE class where you got sweaty, changed your clothes, ran a mile, coughed, and everyone used the water fountain in a long line, or band where there's a room of 50 kids sitting right on top of each other all blowing, getting saliva everywhere and putting their mouths on reeds and mouthpieces) might suddenly seem really scary to parents.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:27 PM

45,412 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Not hiring so much but I bet you'll see people retiring sooner than they expected if they're close anyway.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 PM

I have a TA friend who is interested in moving to Charlotte NC from Milwaukee. Her daughter's family is being transferred there. She is early 60's with 4 years experience. She would be facing a a pretty big pay cut as TA's make 13/hr and she is up to almost 18/hr here in WI. Does she have a chance?

Old 04-24-2020, 06:13 PM

390 posts, read 307,324 times
Enrollment numbers for independent schools in my area are coming in. While independent schools have been experiencing a decline over the years, the numbers that are in so far are much lower than what they predicted. With tuition being about $30K / year and people losing their jobs, stocks, investments, and having to make sacrifices, I imagine that enrollment in these types of places will drop while enrollment in online schools will climb - even after this is over.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:38 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollypocket53132 View Post
I have a TA friend who is interested in moving to Charlotte NC from Milwaukee. Her daughter's family is being transferred there. She is early 60's with 4 years experience. She would be facing a a pretty big pay cut as TA's make 13/hr and she is up to almost 18/hr here in WI. Does she have a chance?
As you probably already know, I would say she’d have essentially no chance. Assuming this is all true, a 60 year old (almost retirement age) TA is unheard of. These positions usually go to grad students. Given that many classes will likely go virtual next year and the vast majority of schools and universities will have hiring freezes next year, I would guess she’d have no shot.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM

That's what I'm afraid of. She still has a job at MPS for now. Better to help the kids get settled over the summer and return to MKE once school begins. Really bad time to be unemployed.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:24 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Our district has had a hiring freeze for months, long before Covid.

Several staff members and I were discussing what is going to happy in the Fall, and our prediction for our district is that they will not hire any new people, and will shuffle around those already in the district to fill critical needs. Class sizes will increase, admin and counselors will be fewer per school, and it will generally be more work for everyone.

I can't see them actually laying off people as we were critically short staffed across the district already. But I can see them assigning new schools to people in fully staffed schools and telling them they have to go to a different location for the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching