Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 06:10 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,283 times

Advertisements

Today, my administrator met with my grade level to inform us that the district needs to collapse one of our classrooms. In my school district, we can have as many as 34 students. All three of us barely have 20 students. The grade that's open is kindergarten. If none of us volunteers to move, my principal said that the school district will decide on the classroom to collapse. I never taught kindergarten, and since movement would be based on seniority, the teacher last hired would be the one moving to kindergarten.

Even though I have 30 years of teaching experience, moving down to kindergarten would be like me teaching again my first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 02:49 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
I had to change classes after school started more than once my last few years.

One year was at the end of the 1st Quarter when we discovered the teacher really was------inadequate, especially for AP World History. So I got that and his HSA (state test) classes and he got my electives (which he screwed up, too). He got transferred out at the end of the year and became an ISS monitor (at whatever teaching step he was) at another high school.

Then for two years I picked up AP World at the 2nd semester as well as HSA classes (different teacher) and my electives and USH were then taught by a permanent sub the rest of the year. That teacher was at the school five or six years and would go on sick leave by Hallowe'en every year. For five or six years. He finally went on Disability and came back as a day to day sub. The Principal wouldn't take the time to follow the process to get rid of him. Go figure.

As a result my electives, which I'd built up over decades started to lose students. Many of them had older siblings, and even parents, who'd taken the classes and word of mouth was to take them.

Oh, one year I forgot. I walked in to school the first day of pre-service and was told I was now a Science teacher and would be teaching Earth Science. In my Social Studies room without a lab.
Fun Fact:
That second teacher taught me, by observation, what to do when I got pissed off finally and went on terminal (meaning until I retired) sick leave.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I had to change classes after school started more than once my last few years.

One year was at the end of the 1st Quarter when we discovered the teacher really was------inadequate, especially for AP World History. So I got that and his HSA (state test) classes and he got my electives (which he screwed up, too). He got transferred out at the end of the year and became an ISS monitor (at whatever teaching step he was) at another high school.

Then for two years I picked up AP World at the 2nd semester as well as HSA classes (different teacher) and my electives and USH were then taught by a permanent sub the rest of the year. That teacher was at the school five or six years and would go on sick leave by Hallowe'en every year. For five or six years. He finally went on Disability and came back as a day to day sub. The Principal wouldn't take the time to follow the process to get rid of him. Go figure.

As a result my electives, which I'd built up over decades started to lose students. Many of them had older siblings, and even parents, who'd taken the classes and word of mouth was to take them.

Oh, one year I forgot. I walked in to school the first day of pre-service and was told I was now a Science teacher and would be teaching Earth Science. In my Social Studies room without a lab.
Fun Fact:
That second teacher taught me, by observation, what to do when I got pissed off finally and went on terminal (meaning until I retired) sick leave.
Wow. I am happy you retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching