Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM

107 posts, read 116,599 times

Advertisements

What other job do you need to pay so much money out of pocket just to do your job- be able to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,946,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
I completely agree with you. I do however think when it is an ALL women work environment this is worst/more apparent.
I've been thinking about something you said earlier about the work environment feeling lonely when you're around kids all day and then extending that thinking to the gender skew in the profession. In all the schools I've been and in my courses so far, it's pretty much all female with maybe one or two males.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Mine's a pretty good male-to-female ratio, but it's due to the specific type of program, and not really a standard setup.

I do choose to buy a lot out of pocket, but I don't have to. If I quit purchasing my own materials and resources, I could still teach...just not as effectively.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,123,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This rings pretty false.

Not that it matters, one way or another (anyone who goes into teaching assuming the profession garners respect better have some other reason that it's personally reinforcing), but anyone who can read and has read your posts can easily see that this isn't likely the case.
Wrong!

I thought of being a teacher. Conveniently missed THAT post of mine?

You can a) believe me, or b) we can argue endlessly, adding 10 more pages to this already 100 page long thread, having gotten nowhere and pissed each other off.

What do you say we go with a) ?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I don't really need to believe you; it's fairly immaterial to me. But, yes, moving along...

Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I've been thinking about something you said earlier about the work environment feeling lonely when you're around kids all day and then extending that thinking to the gender skew in the profession. In all the schools I've been and in my courses so far, it's pretty much all female with maybe one or two males.
I have learned the VERY hard way this is not the best career if you ever want to get married. Not that you get a career to meet someone but tons of people do meet at work in co-ed professions. The hours are long and almost entire adult interactions at work are with other women teachers. I love the teaching part so much that I have focused only on the career part and woke up 15 years later and realized OMG I'm getting older and am still single. Balance your priorities so you too don't wake up to that very painful reality one day. I see teaching as a calling.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
Niki, that is so true. I was in college when I met my first husband, then went into teaching, where I talked to women and kids all day long. Never met a man. Got divorced, left teaching, met men all the time, teaching is its own world, you get so into it. And like you said, fifteen years later, where did the time go?

The key to making more money as a teacher is to kill yourself the first three years, and get that Masters plus thirty as fast as you can. And don't do University of Phoenix, look for anything grant funded. And try to diversify yourself, if you teach elementary, do an ESL cert, or if you teach high school math, get a cert in something else, and with that master plus thirty, I encourage you to be forward thinking, what other career could you do with this degree if you want out of teaching.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,848,794 times
Quote:
I have learned the VERY hard way this is not the best career if you ever want to get married. Not that you get a career to meet someone but tons of people do meet at work in co-ed professions. The hours are long and almost entire adult interactions at work are with other women teachers. I love the teaching part so much that I have focused only on the career part and woke up 15 years later and realized OMG I'm getting older and am still single. Balance your priorities so you too don't wake up to that very painful reality one day. I see teaching as a calling.
Can you move up to middle or high school level? The are a lot more men in the upper grades.
Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,946,255 times
Quote:
I'm a single straight male and I was thinking more along the lines of a other males who I can interact and talk about guy things around. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind interacting with female colleagues and I'm pretty close to several, but it feels a bit different when they're get married or get into serious relationships and have other obligations to attend to in their personal life.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I'm a single straight male and I was thinking more along the lines of a other males who I can interact and talk about guy things around. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind interacting with female colleagues and I'm pretty close to several, but it feels a bit different when they're get married or get into serious relationships and have other obligations to attend to in their personal life.
Excellent point! That must be challenging. I wonder why it's such a female dominated profession. Male teachers are critical to the education system as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching