Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,584,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
Yes, you are. You are missing the point. People that are entrusted to both educate and protect our children should be making as much as doctors. They do in all those countries that continuously kick our asses in every academic category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I make it a point not to complain about my salary because I make enough to live and do have great benefits. But to make a comparison, secretaries at my mother's company make more than I do. I have a Master's degree (which I paid for myself) and they are not required to even have a B.A.

I often wonder if it is a myth that all teachers complain about their salaries. Most of the teachers I know don't complain about it. Most of the teachers here on CD don't complain about the money either. Who's complaining.

IMHO, private school teachers should complain. I worked in one for a year. The teachers worked 9 hours days with one lunch break and no other breaks. They were paid in the low 30s and the health benefits were super expensive. There was no kind of retirement plan at all.

From a work prospective, the teachers did everything. They taught, served the food, and did a lot of cleaning. It was hard work.
I'm a private school teacher. I make a point not to complain about my salary BECAUSE IT'S MY CHOICE TO DO THIS JOB. I don't HAVE to be doing it - I've had careers in other fields and could certainly go back to them if I felt that my compensation wasn't manageable. I do it because I love doing it and feel it serves an important need and is fulfilling. I knew the lay of the land coming in, and if I couldn't afford to do it, I wouldn't be doing it.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,569,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
In the northeast the teachers make closer to 80K, with hmm...summers off. Of course, this is after a few years. And let's not forget the pension.

poor teachers
In the Northeast? That's a pretty large area. I live in the Northeast and that's not true in my district. Yes, the building Principals might make that much but the highest paid teacher probably makes $60,000 and that would be after teaching for 25 years and obtaining a Phd. Not too many of those.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In the Northeast? That's a pretty large area. I live in the Northeast and that's not true in my district. Yes, the building Principals might make that much but the highest paid teacher probably makes $60,000 and that would be after teaching for 25 years and obtaining a Phd. Not too many of those.

It is probably relative to the cost of living. I would guess that the cost of the average home in the area for the teacher making $80k is much higher than in many other areas. A teacher in our district tops at $94,918 with a Masters and 25 years. At ten years and a Masters $64,519. The average home in my zip code is $428,000. Median household income is $104,000.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
In the northeast the teachers make closer to 80K, with hmm...summers off. Of course, this is after a few years. And let's not forget the pension.

poor teachers
I wish I was one of them. If I add 2 1/2 years worth of salary together, I make $80K and I'll never make more.

Yes, some teachers make $80K. Usually with a PhD and many years experience in a district. However, that's not every teacher. I dfon't feel sorry for the ones making $80K.

And as to those summers off, we earn them with every night/weekend spent writing lesson plans and grading papers. You get a life during the school year. We don't. They give us the summers off so we have time to meet our continuing education requirements.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:55 PM

45,541 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Also in the "average" are included people like me who have topped out in the salary scale and get, sometimes, COLAS but no steps. Older teachers are going to skew the "average" higher. The reality is the "summers off" argument falls when you figure most teachers have a work year of 185-195 days, yeah we have to be there when the kids aren't, and a "regular" job work year is 220 days. Summers are unpaid leave, if a teacher gets checks in the summer that's deferred compensation. When I worked in industry years ago the factory guys had Thanksgiving week and the Monday following off (paid 5 days) and Dec. 23-Jan. 2 off (paid 8 days), in addition to up to 4 weeks paid vacation.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also in the "average" are included people like me who have topped out in the salary scale and get, sometimes, COLAS but no steps. Older teachers are going to skew the "average" higher. The reality is the "summers off" argument falls when you figure most teachers have a work year of 185-195 days, yeah we have to be there when the kids aren't, and a "regular" job work year is 220 days. Summers are unpaid leave, if a teacher gets checks in the summer that's deferred compensation. When I worked in industry years ago the factory guys had Thanksgiving week and the Monday following off (paid 5 days) and Dec. 23-Jan. 2 off (paid 8 days), in addition to up to 4 weeks paid vacation.
Our kids were done today. I'm done next Friday except I have to get my room rearranged over the summer so I will work some days. Then I have to start a week before the kids in the fall.

I find the summers off argument laughable. I have about 4 more weeks a year off as a teacher than I had as an engineer but as an engineer, I, rarely worked evenings and weekends and when I did I was paid for working them. As a teacher, I spend my weekends catching up on grading and getting ready for next week as a matter of routine.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
I actually know few teachers who don't do something, employment-wise, over the summer, whether it's doing summer school, or unrelated summer work.

I'm glad our school is year-round; it was actually a selling point for me. I couldn't possibly forego working over the summer. Just isn't happening.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:14 PM

242 posts, read 789,618 times
Mostly everybody complains about their job pay, why cant teachers, why do they have to "go do something else if they dont like the pay." I for one am glad that they are doing it, somebody has to. I went to a kindergarten promotion ceremony and was appalled at how the parents were acting. Talking during the ceremony, on cell phones while walking in the school hallways to pick up their kids, unruly kids and people think teachers are overpaid. I could never do their job but I am grateful that they do. So to all you teacher....Thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,169 times
Teachers also generally spend extra time during summer getting ready for the school year, along with many extra long hours during the year. And don't forget, most teachers use out-of-pocket money for supplies regularly. Also, teachers have to continue going to school forever, getting more credit hours every time certification needs renewing, so that's more time spent for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching