Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,841,201 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating this summer and am finding that teaching jobs in my new city aren't as plentiful as they used to be. My license and degree might qualify me for an administrative (A.P.) position so, even though I hadn't considered it before, I'm wondering if it's worth applying for those as well.

I'd welcome any feedback about the pros/cons of administration vs. being a classroom teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,149 times
How important is it to you to be around students? If you enjoy being in the classroom, being your own boss (at least in terms of deciding how the hour goes if not the curriculum exactly), planning classes and watching people learn, then you might find an admin position is a little suffocating. I know more teachers than admins, but the chief complaint about admin seems to be that you have less freedom, you disagree with a lot of the policies/work you have to do, and you feel the teachers dislike you (whether that's true or not).

I don't think it's ever a bad idea to broaden your employment opportunities though, especially in a bad job climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching