Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,721,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wrong for PA!
It is very difficult to get a job here, as many others have said.

Unless you know something we don't....
I guess I do... I was offered a job there last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,574,734 times
My daughter also got a teaching job here too, but I know more certified teachers her age that are unemployed or working in a city school district. Finding a job in a NON-city in Pennsylvania is not easy, but good for you StarlaJane!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I guess I do... I was offered a job there last year.
Congrats that speaks highly of your credentials. What type of district as the urban districts do need teachers especially Harrisburg/Philadelphia etc. What subject area?

Pennsylvania Teacher Information | Find Pennsylvania Teaching Information and Resources on All Education Schools
Pennsylvania has high standards for teachers and it sometimes takes a bit of work to enter the profession. You can improve your chances of landing a great job if you specialize in one of the subjects for which there is a statewide shortage of qualified teachers. Current shortages include the following subjects:

* Foreign languages
* Math
* Science
* Special education
* Technology education

There are also teacher shortages in a number of Pennsylvania school districts. Due to a recent spike in retirements and resignations, Philadelphia teachers are particularly in demand. In 2008, the Philadelphia School District started the school year with 166 teaching jobs unfilled, more than double the previous year. Most of these vacancies were in hard-to-fill areas, such as science, math, middle school and bilingual education. If you teach one of these subject areas, becoming a Philadelphia teacher may be a good way to start teaching in Pennsylvania.

The above is from the link

Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,037,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Congrats that speaks highly of your credentials. What type of district as the urban districts do need teachers especially Harrisburg/Philadelphia etc. What subject area?

Pennsylvania Teacher Information | Find Pennsylvania Teaching Information and Resources on All Education Schools
Pennsylvania has high standards for teachers and it sometimes takes a bit of work to enter the profession. You can improve your chances of landing a great job if you specialize in one of the subjects for which there is a statewide shortage of qualified teachers. Current shortages include the following subjects:

* Foreign languages
* Math
* Science
* Special education
* Technology education

There are also teacher shortages in a number of Pennsylvania school districts. Due to a recent spike in retirements and resignations, Philadelphia teachers are particularly in demand. In 2008, the Philadelphia School District started the school year with 166 teaching jobs unfilled, more than double the previous year. Most of these vacancies were in hard-to-fill areas, such as science, math, middle school and bilingual education. If you teach one of these subject areas, becoming a Philadelphia teacher may be a good way to start teaching in Pennsylvania.

What an informative helpful website

I'm especially looking @ the city of Philadelphia...or maybe Baltimore/NOVA/DC schools but Philly is #1 on my list...for the East Coast. Does Philadelphia offer a teaching fellows program by any chance?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
What an informative helpful website

I'm especially looking @ the city of Philadelphia...or maybe Baltimore/NOVA/DC schools but Philly is #1 on my list...for the East Coast. Does Philadelphia offer a teaching fellows program by any chance?
Forget NOVA and you are on the right tract. Speaking of Fellows programs Philadelphia was big on the list of cities doing such. The person who ran the program is now the Superintendent of the DC schools and a key communicator with the President on education.
Michelle Rhee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Professional life

Rhee taught in Baltimore, Maryland as a recruit of Teach For America for three years. In 1997 she founded the New Teacher Project, a non-profit organization which works with needy school districts to recruit and train new teachers. In ten years, the New Teacher Project has expanded to forty programs in twenty states and recruited more than 10,000 teachers.

Through the DC Teaching Fellows program, Washington, D.C. participated in the New Teacher Project, and was successful in recruiting highly qualified applicants.[5] On June 12, 2007, D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty announced that he had chosen Rhee to replace superintendent of D.C. public schools Clifford Janey and become the schools' new chancellor. Rhee initially rebuffed Fenty's offer, but relented when promised wide latitude and significant authority in decision-making as well as strong mayoral support for her proposed initiatives.[6][7][8][9][10]

Rhee has served on the advisory boards for the National Council on Teacher Quality,[11] National Center for Alternative Certification, and Project REACH.[citation needed] She was a special guest of First Lady Laura Bush at President George W. Bush's 2008 State of the Union address.[12]

She is the guru of and you may want to consider DC as a priority.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

* Foreign languages
* Math
* Science
* Special education
* Technology education

I was offered a job in a suburb of Philly in foreign language.
It certainly isn't easy to find a job ANYWHERE right now, but it definitely helps to figure out which geographic areas specifically need your subject area.
I have found that PA, MA and MD school districts will work with teachers of critical shortage areas who are not certified and who want to teach.
My fav is MA. I have found the MassDOE to be very cooperative; they are very welcoming and try to make the certification process as uncomplicated as possible. If a district wants you, they'll make it happen. And the schools offer tuition reimbursement for the classes that you are required to take for certification (as well as some very nice starting salaries.) The only thing that keeps me out of MA are the taxes. But then, that is why they are able to offer teachers higher salaries, tuition reimbursement and a better educational system in general. A bit ironic, but there it is.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
It certainly isn't easy to find a job ANYWHERE right now, but it definitely helps to figure out which geographic areas specifically need your subject area.
I have found that PA, MA and MD school districts will work with teachers of critical shortage areas who are not certified and who want to teach.
My fav is MA. I have found the MassDOE to be very cooperative; they are very welcoming and try to make the certification process as uncomplicated as possible. If a district wants you, they'll make it happen. And the schools offer tuition reimbursement for the classes that you are required to take for certification (as well as some very nice starting salaries.) The only thing that keeps me out of MA are the taxes. But then, that is why they are able to offer teachers higher salaries, tuition reimbursement and a better educational system in general. A bit ironic, but there it is.
Having a plan is always the best way and is quite often successful.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 AM

518 posts, read 2,534,621 times
Foreign language is much different than other teaching areas when finding a teaching job in PA. Lots of districts are having trouble finding teachers for foreign language.
Overall though, PA is very difficult to find a teaching job. I know many people in elementary ed, phys. ed, history and even some in secondary math that cannot find a full time teaching job after subbing for 2 years. It's very competetive and often comes down to who you know when trying to find a job.

Quote:

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
Foreign language is much different than other teaching areas when finding a teaching job in PA. Lots of districts are having trouble finding teachers for foreign language.
Overall though, PA is very difficult to find a teaching job. I know many people in elementary ed, phys. ed, history and even some in secondary math that cannot find a full time teaching job after subbing for 2 years. It's very competetive and often comes down to who you know when trying to find a job.
Wow! That is really disheartening to hear.
It really surprises me about math, as I see so many postings for math (and also for foreign language.)
Yes, foreign lang is different, although it is still very competitive, as most lang teachers are competing with foreigners for jobs and a lot of schools prefer to hire native speakers (which I am not.)
I have definitely seen a change in the last year with respect to need, perhaps due to a curb in immigration; I know that some schools were hiring native speakers on work visas, which can be problematic. One can run into problems with certification, but as I previously stated, if there is a shortage or need, and the school really wants you, then they will make it happen (at least, that has been my experience.)
I think the key to foreign lang job acquisition is to speak the language well (native fluency), to have a bachelor's or preferably master's from a reputable university, study abroad experience and some teaching experience (tutoring, part-time, student teaching, etc.)
But the key really is applying to the places that need you, and doing TONS of research with respect to states, schools, districts, certification, etc. so that you can figure out where you are going to be successful. Oh, and not getting discouraged also helps
But it is always difficult when you are limited, whether by geography or other factors; that really puts the ball in someone else's court.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Wow! That is really disheartening to hear.
It really surprises me about math, as I see so many postings for math (and also for foreign language.)
Yes, foreign lang is different, although it is still very competitive, as most lang teachers are competing with foreigners for jobs and a lot of schools prefer to hire native speakers (which I am not.)
I have definitely seen a change in the last year with respect to need, perhaps due to a curb in immigration; I know that some schools were hiring native speakers on work visas, which can be problematic. One can run into problems with certification, but as I previously stated, if there is a shortage or need, and the school really wants you, then they will make it happen (at least, that has been my experience.)
I think the key to foreign lang job acquisition is to speak the language well (native fluency), to have a bachelor's or preferably master's from a reputable university, study abroad experience and some teaching experience (tutoring, part-time, student teaching, etc.)
But the key really is applying to the places that need you, and doing TONS of research with respect to states, schools, districts, certification, etc. so that you can figure out where you are going to be successful. Oh, and not getting discouraged also helps
But it is always difficult when you are limited, whether by geography or other factors; that really puts the ball in someone else's court.
All of your points are excellent. Because of the economy and the great difficulty in selling your house teachers are not relocating or changing careers. Evidently the retirement wave in Pennsylvania has crested. The real challenge finding a job in much of the state is the way the schools for the most part are organized. Most districts are small one high school districts or perhaps a combination of a couple of consolidated townships. That makes it really hard as you have to apply to so many and nepotism is rampant. Many districts participate in regional hiring partnerships and the lines at job fairs for them is long. Many young teachers in the smaller districts are advised not to live where they work. You don't want to run into the superintendent in the supermarket and have shorter shorts on then they might approve of. Many college grads in PA are reluctant to move away from home and when they can't find a job in their limited geographic area they sub and can do so for years. There is a major mismatch between the demographics of teacher education graduates in Pennsylvania and the demographics of the cities in Pennsylvania and the school districts in the surrounding states. Many a parent says no when their darling graduate says they would like to move to Baltimore to teach. Many of those who do return in short order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching