Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should teachers/staff at Schools closed due to Swine Flu be paid during the closing?
Yes, they should be paid for sitting home or vacationing 34 79.07%
No, the parents who have to watch the kids now home will not be paid 8 18.60%
Maybe, if they sub at other schools 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 AM

943 posts, read 3,165,411 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine was just told that she would be on a paid vacation for the next two weeks and possibly more. There was a case of the swine flu at her school and they decided to close the school. According to school officials all staff and teachers will be paid anyway, on the tax payers dime. She is happy about that and has decided to take that long vacation to Hawaii she has always dreamed about.

If your employer shut the office or factory due to the swine flu for a few weeks would you expect to be paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:20 AM

831 posts, read 1,585,757 times
I thought teachers were salary. They have to teach for 180 days a year. Won't the sudents and teachers both have to make up the days later? When the school closes for snow days and the teachers are off they just have to teach an extra day at the end. How is this any different? Or am I way off here?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,676,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A relative of mine was just told that she would be on a paid vacation for the next two weeks and possibly more. There was a case of the swine flu at her school and they decided to close the school. According to school officials all staff and teachers will be paid anyway, on the tax payers dime. She is happy about that and has decided to take that long vacation to Hawaii she has always dreamed about.

If your employer shut the office or factory due to the swine flu for a few weeks would you expect to be paid?
Well, yes. And when I was working, I would have been paid. Now I am retired and I still get paid. That's the way it works.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,109,753 times
Will be interesting how this plays out as it is a unique situation. It is occurring near the end of the school year and add on flexibility is minimal. It may end the school year early for seniors and potentially playing havoc with year end assessment testing. Many district calendar policies have a date that school will not extend beyond. Since most of the nation is out of inclement winter weather season parents and teachers have made plans and spent money on summer activities. If a state finds it necessary and school districts are given a waiver on minimum days in attendance what will happen to teachers and their salaries. Normally a solution would be to have them work days during the summer to make up the time. However with states and local districts in such dire financial shape how do you justify that while also laying off and furloughing workers and making dramatic cuts in programs in all areas of government. Seems like a furlough opportunity to balance the budget in the making.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM

989 posts, read 1,880,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I thought teachers were salary. They have to teach for 180 days a year. Won't the sudents and teachers both have to make up the days later? When the school closes for snow days and the teachers are off they just have to teach an extra day at the end. How is this any different? Or am I way off here?
They will likely have to make up these lost days later on at some point, no?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM

529 posts, read 1,302,605 times
They should get paid.

At least I'd expect my employers to pay me if they shut down the office temporarilly and somehow I cannot have remote access.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,152,525 times
I don't like the biased wording in the poll. If I am a salaried employee and school closes due to circumstances out of my control, why shouldn't I be paid? Why shouldn't I use the time advantage to go on vacation, rather than sitting on my a** doing nothing? Why should I have to sub? It's not like they're getting extra money "on the taxpayer dime".

Being this close to the end of the semester does bring about some unusual dilemas.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:54 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,109,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I don't like the biased wording in the poll. If I am a salaried employee and school closes due to circumstances out of my control, why shouldn't I be paid? Why shouldn't I use the time advantage to go on vacation, rather than sitting on my a** doing nothing? Why should I have to sub? It's not like they're getting extra money "on the taxpayer dime".

Being this close to the end of the semester does bring about some unusual dilemas.
The keyword is on the taxpayer dime and that dime is the focus of our national trauma.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,588,235 times
The teachers are taxpayers too.

How could they sub at other schools? I also think that since all teachers that I know are paid for so many days - 186 in PA- they will have to work those days anyway.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,950,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

If I had a contract that said I would be paid (as most teachers do) I would expect to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching