Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Never witnessed a highschool/gradeschool teacher that wasn't a pain in the ass.
Really? From elementary through high school? Maybe it was you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I want a public librarian appreciation week. We work for low wages and deal with computer challenged adults every day, parents doing the research for their kids homework, and kids that still do not know how to search the on-line catalog or basic computer databases that they were supposedly taught in elementary school. JK! I do love my job, but I don't understand why teachers are singled out for appreciation. My daughter makes at least twice as much as I do.

I see my daughter (MS teacher) has brought home some cake so I assume the parents group at her school is again providing snacks daily for the teachers.
You need to organize with a union and browbeat your consumers, administrators and your funding source to appreciate you with goodies and little bags and hearts. Hallmark will be quick to recognize and proclaim a week of good times and heart felt self actualization from feeling the love.

Hmmm perhaps the problem is that you are always making people be quiet and focused on what they are in the Library for. You want them on task and not disturbing others who are. It is obvious from some of the post in this forum that many of our public school teachers are not that demanding and that is probably why they are appreciated more by the young folk. Change with the times if you want a card.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You picked that up also eh

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You picked that up also!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 188,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why do you need gifts to realize you make a difference in student's lives? Why can't their increased test scores do that? Do the little kiddo's have the real skills to evaluate how well they are being prepared for the world of 2025 and beyond? Didn't the teachers of this years high school students get gifts when those kids were in elementary school? Does those students current performance justify the kudo's? I hope they do but the question does need to be asked.
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week.
I was wondering if my post would be misread. I got one gift, a flower...with a message that said...Thank you so much, I always appreciate your encouragement throughout every assignment that I work on. Thank you for all you do for us.

What I meant by the post is that I LOVE this week, because it is a time for us as teachers to realize that we are appreciated since it isn't said often.. sometimes recognition can go a long way...

As for students doing well on tests...that is all great and dandy...BUT I HATE TESTS~ I would rather know that I have made a difference in my students' lives and character to develop distinguished individuals who have drive and motivation in this world than develop good test takers who cannot think for themselves....

that is why I appreciate teacher appreciation week... it reminds me that I am making a difference BEYOND the stupid tests!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
LOL...I can tell you, if you really won't get mad at my answer.

Yes please do

Old 05-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
I was wondering if my post would be misread. I got one gift, a flower...with a message that said...Thank you so much, I always appreciate your encouragement throughout every assignment that I work on. Thank you for all you do for us.

What I meant by the post is that I LOVE this week, because it is a time for us as teachers to realize that we are appreciated since it isn't said often.. sometimes recognition can go a long way...

As for students doing well on tests...that is all great and dandy...BUT I HATE TESTS~ I would rather know that I have made a difference in my students' lives and character to develop distinguished individuals who have drive and motivation in this world than develop good test takers who cannot think for themselves....

that is why I appreciate teacher appreciation week... it reminds me that I am making a difference BEYOND the stupid tests!
As a 35 year plus teacher, administrator and parent all that you value is good and I am glad you value those things. However when they reach the workforce they are either to maximize their potential or not. Do not use the concept that test takers can't thing for themselves as higher education and employment advancement is one test and performance measure after the other. As my kids got older I got wiser about what we ought to be about and not what WE wanted to be about.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I want a public librarian appreciation week. We work for low wages and deal with computer challenged adults every day, parents doing the research for their kids homework, and kids that still do not know how to search the on-line catalog or basic computer databases that they were supposedly taught in elementary school. JK! I do love my job, but I don't understand why teachers are singled out for appreciation. My daughter makes at least twice as much as I do.

I see my daughter (MS teacher) has brought home some cake so I assume the parents group at her school is again providing snacks daily for the teachers.
In all fairness, there is also a Secretary's Day. And also days to appreciate other professions.

As for my school, yesterday we got a tiny ribbon. I couldn't care less about Teacher Appreciation Day/Week.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
We got a piece of cake from the Administration and PTA. The National Honor Society put snacks in our mailboxes all week. I have most of those kids in class or deal with them in AP meetings and they all know I hate Skittles and anything granola barrish. Guess what I got loaded down with. They also had been asking me all week "how did I like my snacks?" and then started laughing. Which is only fair since I've been messing with their minds in Psych class.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-06-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Yes please do
Public school teachers make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching