Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times

Advertisements

This week is Teacher's Appreciation, and my principal did something very nice for us. She provided breakfast for us, bought a new microwave for our staff room, and gave all of us a bag full of teacher pens, pads, and notepads that we use daily in our classrooms.

What have your principals done for you during Teacher Appreciation Week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
My school provides us lunch on Friday, and our principal gives us a gift basket of school supplies. I'm mad though. My son's school, private, put up notices all over the school saying it's teacher appreciation week please give your child's teacher a card/gift!!!! What the hell is that about?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Our district gave every teacher a large-sized bottle of Purellâ„¢ hand sanitizer to keep on our desks for the kids to use. (Yes, really!)

And the PTSA gave us giant donuts this morning .....

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
My school provides us lunch on Friday, and our principal gives us a gift basket of school supplies. I'm mad though. My son's school, private, put up notices all over the school saying it's teacher appreciation week please give your child's teacher a card/gift!!!! What the hell is that about?
LOL...I can tell you, if you really won't get mad at my answer.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

57 posts, read 188,451 times
We have been getting lunch provided for us each day, from our principal and our PTA. Breakfast on some days, and on friday there will be a BBQ cookout from the PTA. There are signs around our school that it is teacher appreciation week...our kiddos are the greatest and they are saying thank you to the teachers and some are giving simple notes of appreciation or a flower. I truly adore being a teacher, and this week reminds me why....we do make a difference in the students' lives.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Glad we can see what a touchy feely I need to feel good profession teaching is. Make me feel better about myself and make me feel appreciated as I can't do a competent job unless I am loved and made to feel like a real valuable entity in this world. I hope we all feel better looking into the mirror after this week.
I really do

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
We have been getting lunch provided for us each day, from our principal and our PTA. Breakfast on some days, and on friday there will be a BBQ cookout from the PTA. There are signs around our school that it is teacher appreciation week...our kiddos are the greatest and they are saying thank you to the teachers and some are giving simple notes of appreciation or a flower. I truly adore being a teacher, and this week reminds me why....we do make a difference in the students' lives.
Why do you need gifts to realize you make a difference in student's lives? Why can't their increased test scores do that? Do the little kiddo's have the real skills to evaluate how well they are being prepared for the world of 2025 and beyond? Didn't the teachers of this years high school students get gifts when those kids were in elementary school? Does those students current performance justify the kudo's? I hope they do but the question does need to be asked.
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
I want a public librarian appreciation week. We work for low wages and deal with computer challenged adults every day, parents doing the research for their kids homework, and kids that still do not know how to search the on-line catalog or basic computer databases that they were supposedly taught in elementary school. JK! I do love my job, but I don't understand why teachers are singled out for appreciation. My daughter makes at least twice as much as I do.

I see my daughter (MS teacher) has brought home some cake so I assume the parents group at her school is again providing snacks daily for the teachers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM

144 posts, read 461,055 times
Nothing. Our Sunshine Club (teacher run/supported) gave us each a card with a small Dunkin' Donut gift card but even yesterday which was the real Appreciation Day our Principal didn't even give us an, "Atta boy" type comment. I wasn't shocked.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM

370 posts, read 1,016,505 times
Never witnessed a highschool/gradeschool teacher that wasn't a pain in the ass. I'm glad that things are shaping up, and people have started caring/hiring teachers that aren't crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching