Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM

70 posts, read 120,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly learning about class room management by teaching my own classes and attending other college level courses. What an experience.

One frustration and challenge during the lecture part of the class is trying to determine if the students are engaged and paying attention. I can look for non verbal cues and of course test them but I want to be able to adjust my lecture based on continuing feedback from the students. Sometime no matter how hard I try to be interesting and informative I feel I am not connecting with a significant number of students. So I will look out into the class and pick out a student who appears distracted or bored and say, "tell the class what I just said" Usually they cant tell us and get red faced and angry and some students feel that I am being unfair.

I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?
That's a bad idea. You never know who you might **** off and that may come back to haunt you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,248,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Well in my experience. You are forced to take more than just one tedious or pointless class in college. I've made bad grades in college before in some subjects that I actually loved and still love. Go figure!!! Didn't Albert Einstein do mediocre in some class subjects? Didn't Bill Gates drop out of college? Failure in college doesn't mean you are a moron. The Most Successful College Dropouts In History
Wait, now you are comparing yourself to Einstein and Gates? Please...

Sometimes you have a class in which you don't like the format. As much as it is the professor's responsibility to present the material the best he/she can, it is your responsibility to learn it. Claiming it is the college's fault you failed because you 'didn't like the format for the test' is an excuse for laziness.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,605,290 times
Quote:
I am constantly learning about class room management by teaching my own classes and attending other college level courses. What an experience.

One frustration and challenge during the lecture part of the class is trying to determine if the students are engaged and paying attention. I can look for non verbal cues and of course test them but I want to be able to adjust my lecture based on continuing feedback from the students. Sometime no matter how hard I try to be interesting and informative I feel I am not connecting with a significant number of students. So I will look out into the class and pick out a student who appears distracted or bored and say, "tell the class what I just said" Usually they cant tell us and get red faced and angry and some students feel that I am being unfair.

I tell the students in the class that if they are not going to attend all class sessions or participate in class and pay attention, please drop the class immediately. What do you think?

I love it when my professors ask my opinion or to clarify what was said, I almost always can! The issue is "I look bored" or I am writing because I can not just sit still... it has to do with my inability to do one thing at a time, but YES I am listening!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 AM

938 posts, read 3,170,497 times
Default Thanks for the silly advice!

For all my complaints about the students, I am actually told that I am one of the best teachers in the community college I work at. I am always getting emails from the students after the class thanking me for caring. That does not stop me from complaining about bad students who do not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
First off, OP, if you were a true professional, you would not be posting horrible things about your students as you have been on this thread, putting them down for being disadvantaged, foreign, etc. What you are doing on here is inappropriate and I feel that if any of your superiors saw your what you have written, you would be out of a job.

Secondly, you go on and on about how tough employers are - why do you still have a job, then? It's clear you don't like you work (you may like the material but let's face it, you don't like teaching) and from what you say about students not paying attention and how you take out your aggression on them, you suck at your job. So how tough are employers really, hmmm?

Third, you get paid whether the student pays attention or not. Why do you care so much? Just take the money and put your petty insecurities and rage aside. Go to a batting cage or something, don't target your students.

And finally, reading all these posts had me shaking my head and actually concerned about your mental well being. You really should invest in a good therapist. Even if you don't think you have any issues, I think it would really help you deal with stress. Also, if you don't truly need this job, you should quit. Seriously. Think of the benefits: students would be better off, you wouldn't have the stress of the extra job, and someone in need of income can become employed.

One more thing - with all the story changing, I feel like this guy is making up all this stuff while sitting in dirty jogging pants with a bowl of fruit loops.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,527,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
first of all, teacher, you are not, and second of all,
professor, definitely not!

At the most, if even that, which is doubtful, but for grins and giggles, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, whichever you are today, jerry/jane.
Maybe an hr assistant. You are a class instructor
teachers go to school and work hard to get their training and intern to learn to do what they do for a living. You come along and do some night classes at a charter community school, which probably isn't even recognized by the us dept of education, so they can hire anyone with a college degree as an instructor, not a certified teacher, or professor. If so, then give your state license number or certification status.
even state of licensing.
The students are there for your benefit, you are getting paid, the school, which is a private institution, like hallmark, itt, or one of those, and it takes advantage of underprivilidged people who need more education to get a job, they prey on their ability to get federal funding for schooling, then give them useless schooling from people like yourself, and they, the students, are left with enormous student loans and a certificate from an independent school which no recognized university or college will transfer the hours to. So they have spent their time and money for nothing, and since it's government loans, they will have to pay them back, irs tax garnishments, all that. So quit using the term teacher, be honest for once. Try stating what you really are so people can answer your thread/post with some degree of integrity
kudos to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
first off, op, if you were a true professional, you would not be posting horrible things about your students as you have been on this thread, putting them down for being disadvantaged, foreign, etc. What you are doing on here is innapropriate and i feel that if any of your superiors saw your what you have written, you would be out of a job.

Secondly, you go on and on about how tough employers are - why do you still have a job, then? It's clear you don't like you work (you may like the material but let's face it, you don't like teaching) and from what you say about students not paying attention and how you take out your aggression on them, you suck at your job. So how tough are employers really, hmmm?

Third, you get paid whether the student pays attention or not. Why do you care so much? Just take the money and put your petty insecurities and rage aside. Go to a batting cage or something, don't target your students.

And finally, reading all these posts had me shaking my head and actually concerned about your mental well being. You really should invest in a good therapist. Even if you don't think you have any issues, i think it would really help you deal with stress. Also, if you don't truly need this job, you should quit. Seriously. Think of the benefits: Students would be better off, you wouldn't have the stress of the extra job, and someone in need of income can become employed.

One more thing - with all the story changing, i feel like this guy is making up all this stuff while sitting in dirty jogging pants with a bowl of fruit loops.
and you

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 82,614 times
Quote:
What do you think?
Let's just say that I wish some of my Professors had done the same. Would have cut down on the obnoxious incessant chatter (and this at a very highly ranked University) and distracting behavior from fellow classmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching