Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 AM

154 posts, read 527,362 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this as an instructional technique. In High School the teacher gets frustrated that the students are not listening to him, so in the middle of his presentation he looks out into the class and finds the sleeping students and walks up to them and asks them to go up to the front of the class and repeat what he just told the class. Of course the sleeping student has no idea what to say because he or she has been day dreaming. The rest of the class laughs at the sleeping student making a fool of himself. The teacher is angry that he was not being listened by some people in class and the previously sleeping student returned to his desk red faced.

The next class session has few sleeping students but the self esteem of the bored sleeping students is ruined. Is the teachers approach too harsh?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,312,434 times
Harsh is not the word I would use. The teacher's approach is foolish. If he previously had the respect of any of his students, he probably just lost it.

When a teacher intentionally humiliates a student, he shows that he has already lost control of himself and the class.

It may have seemed that the students were laughing at the sleeper "making a fool of himself," but probably they all knew who the real fool was.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 AM

45,571 posts, read 60,866,670 times
That's the old school way and some of us still use it. It works. As far as self esteem? Who gives a ****? Being stupid will be way more self esteem defeating than a momentary embarrassment.
If a teacher is being observed and doesn't call out a disconnected student it will be noted on the observation.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM

174 posts, read 517,524 times
Amen to North Beach Person.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,599,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's the old school way and some of us still use it. It works. As far as self esteem? Who gives a ****? Being stupid will be way more self esteem defeating than a momentary embarrassment.
If a teacher is being observed and doesn't call out a disconnected student it will be noted on the observation.
Reps for you.

I don't know what students expect here. Sleeping in class is rude and disrespectful. Of course the teacher is going to call it out. Students are there to learn. They can't learn unless they are awake and listening.

While this may be old school, sometimes, you have to make an example of one student so others won't follow in their footsteps.

I fought with one student who wanted to sleep though my class all last year. For a time, I kind of gave up but then other started doing the same. I found I had to address the issue with him or deal with half a dozen other students who thought it was ok to sleep in my class.

If their behavior didn't affect others and I wouldn't be downgraded on a PR for ignoring it, I would ignore it and let their grade on the next test be their consequence for not paying attention. Unfortunately, behavior like this is contagious and we do get marked down on PR's for ignoring it so we can't ignore it.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,961,266 times
The better teachers I've observed will wake the student up, but they won't embarrass them in front of the class.

As one of my cooperating teachers said: You don't want to get into a battle with students--they outnumber you.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,111,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You are absolutely correct. It is normal to call on students so why would you ignore one who isn't paying attention. Also not everyone with their eyes shut or head down isn't paying attention and this will flush out who is and who isn't focused.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 527,362 times
Just in case the student was actually awake he will be able to repeat what the teacher said.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
I think it's a terrible technique. Talk about waste of time for the other students. Wake the kid up by all means, and ask them questions to encourage engagement, but the rest of it is vindictive and a good way of irritating the other students -- those who were paying attention -- feel like they're wasting their own time. But asking a student to repeat what has just been said seems like a boring, pointless technique -- if you're just calling on a student and trying to get them to pay attention, why not ask them for a response that is actually relevant and encourages real thought and participation? I don't think it's "harsh," and I highly doubt the self-esteem of anyone is going to be hurt one way or the other, but it seems rather pointless. I doubt it will do much to change things, and it's a good way to annoy all the kids who are awake. I certainly wouldn't think highly of a teacher who wasted so much time and who were such boring teachers (because really, asking a kid to repeat back what was just said has got to be the height of boring for those who are listening: they heard it the first time.)

Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM

536 posts, read 1,873,666 times
It will not make a difference. Teaching is a two person game. I was constantly singled out like that when I was younger. They couldn't hold my attention.

Did it make me like the subject/teacher more? Hardly. Pay attention and participate? No way. If anything I probably pulled back further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.