Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,047,005 times

Advertisements

In college every student is a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
As a student, I know students hate when the teacher does that. All you do is draw attention to the fact that they're not paying attention. Do you teach high school or college? If you teach high school, there's a high chance the class is mandatory and students can't drop the class. Even if you teach college, the class might be mandatory for the student. Regardless, the student has the right to stay in the class. Who knows, they might end up passing the class and getting credit. Then it would have been a shame if they dropped the class. You have no idea how much work they put into the class outside the classroom. If the student is bored, maybe you should try a different approach to teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,239,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The students might just not care about the class. I've been in a lot of those.
I would say this would be the student's fault. Anything more than high school means it is the student's choice to be in the program, so 'not caring about the class' is not an excuse. If you don't care about the class, then don't be there. Drop the class or change programs. Apathy is not an excuse for anything.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,646,713 times
i think you got alot to offer and are greatly unappreciated. you are however well paid.
try to know you are not there for the 50% that will drop out, same as the college drop out rate. those that fail now will keep on failing, their disinterest is linked to their failure.
some will hear you some will benefit, think of them. trudge on brave warrior.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:04 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,497,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would say this would be the student's fault. Anything more than high school means it is the student's choice to be in the program, so 'not caring about the class' is not an excuse. If you don't care about the class, then don't be there. Drop the class or change programs. Apathy is not an excuse for anything.
The class might be a general education requirement unrelated to their major. The student might like college overall, but just not one class.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,497,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In college every student is a customer.
So the college should be happy they're getting money. What does it matter to them if the student pays attention? Since they're choosing to go to college, the professor is more likely to have a student that cares. But there will always be some that don't pay attention. High school teachers have it much worse when you think of all the people in high school that don't care and don't pay attention (a lot of them don't make it to college).

Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 PM

That is my point. The student is the customer. The professor has no business getting bent out of shape and arrogant if somebody doesn't show up, shows up late, makes mediocre grades, or doesn't pay attention. That is where teaching and education come into play. The professor should put aside his or her arrogance and teach and instruct. This isn't about teaching to the lowest common denominator because they sure as heck didn't even do that in junior high or high school. College is a non-profit public organization so they have a responsibility to the individual and the public as a whole. The individual should not be considered "the lowest common denominator" if they are not understanding quick enough. It is the students accountability to ask for that extra help after class. College is a place of learning. Learning occurs in many different ways and formats. Like another poster said there is about a 50% drop out. The 50% failure/drop out rate is partially due to the college. It isn't 100% the fault of the student. People want to point fingers at the students for not coming to class. Did you ever bother to think that they don't come to class because they view the professor as wasting their time??

Quote:
So the college should be happy they're getting money. What does it matter to them if the student pays attention? Since they're choosing to go to college, the professor is more likely to have a student that cares. But there will always be some that don't pay attention. High school teachers have it much worse when you think of all the people in high school that don't care and don't pay attention (a lot of them don't make it to college).
Well in my experience. You are forced to take more than just one tedious or pointless class in college. I've made bad grades in college before in some subjects that I actually loved and still love. Go figure!!! Didn't Albert Einstein do mediocre in some class subjects? Didn't Bill Gates drop out of college? Failure in college doesn't mean you are a moron. http://www.retireat21.com/blog/the-m...ts-in-history/

Quote:
The class might be a general education requirement unrelated to their major. The student might like college overall, but just not one class.
I've made some bad grades in college but I didn't keep on failing. I think a part of my failing had to do with the actual professor and set up of the class. It just wasn't for me. Yes I love some of the subjects I failed in. Go figure on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think you got alot to offer and are greatly unappreciated. you are however well paid.
try to know you are not there for the 50% that will drop out, same as the college drop out rate. those that fail now will keep on failing, their disinterest is linked to their failure.
some will hear you some will benefit, think of them. trudge on brave warrior.
I've been in classes where I liked the subject but didn't like the professor or class structure. I cannot stress how important the professor and class structure is in learning.

For example I made an A in two college government classes that was purely class discussion, opinion, essay, and two written exams. I hated the class and the annoying professor that wanted to have non-stop discussion each and every class. I didn't learn about government until I started doing my own secondary research on the subject years after I passed the class. Her class was extremely popular and a lot of students loved it. I however hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The 50% drop out rate is really reflective more on Colleges than on students. Financial obligations are a problem for a lot of students, so then why do colleges keep raising their tuition? From what I've seen there are a lot of arrogant and small minded professionals in colleges that will try to force others that aren't "status quo" or "special" out of the college through intimidation and bias. College has become one huge fraternity of capitalistic, useless, and arrogant professionals imo.

Whether the student instructors or professors were doing the teaching didn't matter in quality in my experiences. I have had excellent student instructors. I've also had poor quality tenured professors. Go figure on that.

For the most part many colleges are not about learning. It's about politics, bureaucracies, one big social club, and 'the bottom line'.

Last edited by artsyguy; 07-03-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 AM

281 posts, read 448,008 times
If you are sincere about wanting to teach your students and not just harass them, then the following guide should be of interest to you:

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/mattuck/index.htm

Especially 2 and 7 would be worthwhile.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Very good source Ripley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
If you are sincere about wanting to teach your students and not just harass them, then the following guide should be of interest to you:

Free Online MIT Course Materials | Supplemental Resources | MIT OpenCourseWare

Especially 2 and 7 would be worthwhile.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,857,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What I found interesting about this thread is the large number of people who assumed that because some of my students did not pay attention and looked bored it was mostly my fault and I was a poor teacher. Of course it is always the teachers fault when they talk about the breakdown of our schools.
First of all, Teacher, you are not, and Second of all,
Professor, definitely NOT!

At the most, if even that, which is doubtful, but for grins and giggles, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, whichever you are today, Jerry/Jane.
Maybe an HR assistant. You are a Class Instructor
Teachers go to school and work hard to get their training and intern to learn to do what they do for a living. You come along and do some night classes at a Charter Community School, which probably isn't even recognized by the US Dept of Education, so they can hire anyone with a college degree as an instructor, not a Certified Teacher, or Professor. If so, then give your State License number or certification status.
Even state of licensing.
The students are there for your benefit, you are getting paid, the school, which is a private institution, like Hallmark, ITT, or one of those, and it takes advantage of underprivilidged people who need more education to get a job, they prey on their ability to get Federal funding for schooling, then give them useless schooling from people like yourself, and they, the students, are left with enormous student loans and a certificate from an independent school which no recognized University or College will transfer the hours to. So they have spent their time and money for nothing, and since it's government loans, they will have to pay them back, IRS tax garnishments, all that. So quit using the term Teacher, be honest for once. Try stating what you really are so people can answer your thread/post with some degree of integrity

Old 07-05-2009, 01:27 AM

141 posts, read 429,089 times
First off, OP, if you were a true professional, you would not be posting horrible things about your students as you have been on this thread, putting them down for being disadvantaged, foreign, etc. What you are doing on here is innapropriate and I feel that if any of your superiors saw your what you have written, you would be out of a job.

Secondly, you go on and on about how tough employers are - why do you still have a job, then? It's clear you don't like you work (you may like the material but let's face it, you don't like teaching) and from what you say about students not paying attention and how you take out your aggression on them, you suck at your job. So how tough are employers really, hmmm?

Third, you get paid whether the student pays attention or not. Why do you care so much? Just take the money and put your petty insecurities and rage aside. Go to a batting cage or something, don't target your students.

And finally, reading all these posts had me shaking my head and actually concerned about your mental well being. You really should invest in a good therapist. Even if you don't think you have any issues, I think it would really help you deal with stress. Also, if you don't truly need this job, you should quit. Seriously. Think of the benefits: students would be better off, you wouldn't have the stress of the extra job, and someone in need of income can become employed.

One more thing - with all the story changing, I feel like this guy is making up all this stuff while sitting in dirty jogging pants with a bowl of fruit loops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching