Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM

985 posts, read 2,604,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I find it funny that someone would comment negatively on this during an evaluation.

"At least once per classroom session, the professor would call on one of the students and expect them to know what he had just been talking about. This is simply unacceptable. Although I failed the class, I will not retake it with this professor. Next time, I will choose a class where I am passed because of attendance, rather than one where I am expected to learn something."

Classic
Parroting the teacher isn't really learning anything. I can repeat what someone says without knowing what they are talking about, it's easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,806,331 times
I was the poster who commented above on the fact that I would cite this as a negative on an evaluation; to clarify, though, my reasons would be night and day different from the student quoted above. I certainly don't think students should pass strictly on attendance, and don't think it's inappropriate for a teacher to ask a student something, but the OP's technique - pointing to someone and asking them to repeat back what they said - isn't the right way to go about doing it. If he wants to see if someone's been listening then he can ask a more interactive question that encourages actual thinking, or at the very least doesn't waste the time and insult the intelligence of any students who have been listening. A "what did I just say" question with no deeper purpose is not an effective teaching technique.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,396,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Not trying to be noisy or anything.

I have a degree and am a expert in two different fields but do not have "Teaching Credentials".

I do have extensive knowledge of two fields of which I could be talking about all day long but as to Teaching Credentials...nothing.

You never answered if your night teaching was at any of the three I mentioned.

Was not looking for any specific named State College or City Jr College...just an idea as to the type of evening Adult classes of your bored students.

A simple State/City Jr College/Private business School would be sufficient.

If the job is a state sanctioned (getting people off the dole/welfare compulory) school can I understand.

I would compare that to the Private Business people that run the traffic school to make money from those who receive a traffic ticket. Background with NO teaching credentials.

Too many people have questioned your teaching procedures and made me wonder why.

Steve
Sorry to butt in, but in my state (Florida) the only "credentials" one needs to teach at the college level is a Masters degree and 18 graduate level credit hours in the subject you are teaching. I'm truely curious, how does it differ in your state? (I wish there were some additional criteria here in Florida!)

Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,961,357 times
I can repeat what someone says without knowing what they are talking about, it's easy.

Hmmm... and yet the teacher in this case says the called upon almost never have the right answer. Easy for YOU, not so much for the brain dead in this guy's class.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM

985 posts, read 2,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I can repeat what someone says without knowing what they are talking about, it's easy.

Hmmm... and yet the teacher in this case says the called upon almost never have the right answer. Easy for YOU, not so much for the brain dead in this guy's class.
well if the students are that dumb then they are not going to get it even if they are listening so it's a moot point. My point was there is a difference between listening and just parroting back what was said and actually learning.

Last edited by Kaye02; 06-22-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

943 posts, read 3,167,702 times
You are right, my approach to ask the student what I just said is likely the wrong approach. But it is based on the frustration of teaching in a VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL SCHOOL PROGRAM. that is pass fail and most of the students know they will get the certificate of completion that they can put on their resume if they just show off. Many are not smart enough to know that what I am saying has lots of merit and if they were older and more mature they would understand it would be to their advantage to listen and attempt to understand what I was saying.

Why does it bother me so much, because I see myself in these students 20 years ago and wish I would have taken a class on career success then and listened to what the teacher had said. It is like a father who sees his son make the same mistakes he did 25 years ago but can not convince him to listen, so he will not face the same pain.

(Why do I stay with the program? I get lots of money and they tell me I am known as one of their most successful instructors. The other teachers have even less students listen to them)

Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,980,532 times
DING DONG...the chimes are ringing...In my mind I guessed right. The writing was on the wall.

A Vocational or Trade School is what I first thought of with the comment of BORING students in the class. (Adult night school at that)

My first thought was that any person who pays to attend a class is not going to be bored. If they are there via someone else paying the tab...maybe a nap break is due.

Thanks for the clarification.

Steve

Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,155,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Sorry to butt in, but in my state (Florida) the only "credentials" one needs to teach at the college level is a Masters degree and 18 graduate level credit hours in the subject you are teaching. I'm truely curious, how does it differ in your state? (I wish there were some additional criteria here in Florida!)
Why did you put credentials in quotations? Are you saying that a master's degree isn't sufficient enough to teach a lower level undergrad class or that a master's degree isn't a credential? What other criteria do you think is necessary? There are assistant professors that get hired right out of grad school with a PhD and have never been more than a TA. (I'm only referring to the teaching aspect, not the research, and by no means am I saying that someone with a PhD is unworthy of teaching).

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,396,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Why did you put credentials in quotations? Are you saying that a master's degree isn't sufficient enough to teach a lower level undergrad class or that a master's degree isn't a credential? What other criteria do you think is necessary? There are assistant professors that get hired right out of grad school with a PhD and have never been more than a TA. (I'm only referring to the teaching aspect, not the research, and by no means am I saying that someone with a PhD is unworthy of teaching).
I put the word, credential, in quotes because that is what the person I was quoting did. There was no other motive or intention behind it.
Certainly an advanced degree and the appropriate coursework are necessary credentials. However, as you pointed out, many are hired into faculty positions straight from grad school (including me). What I would like to see is for TAs to receive some type of training in the pedagogical aspects of their field, preferably during their first semester as a grad student. Perhaps some universities do that (other than a crash coursed the week before the semester begins), but not that I've seen in my field in Florida.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,248,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I put the word, credential, in quotes because that is what the person I was quoting did. There was no other motive or intention behind it.
Certainly an advanced degree and the appropriate coursework are necessary credentials. However, as you pointed out, many are hired into faculty positions straight from grad school (including me). What I would like to see is for TAs to receive some type of training in the pedagogical aspects of their field, preferably during their first semester as a grad student. Perhaps some universities do that (other than a crash coursed the week before the semester begins), but not that I've seen in my field in Florida.
That would probably be helpful and 3-4 credit course in lieu of a grad class would be a boon for grad students imo. When I was a grad student it was never broached nor did I even think about it, but looking back I know I would have appreciated better preparation via my uni. I tought a lab that had a lot of theory so there was quite a bit of lecture. I made sure that my classes followed the prof's classes and I would sit in with his class. From there I would take notes and then prepare. Although, it didn't take much to figure out how to reach people and it wouldn't have come to mind to ask anyone to repeat what I just said. Then again, this wasn't a vocational school nor the type of courses where students could afford to not pay attention. That's not to say there weren't a few that didn't belong in the class. They didn't belong in the major.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 06-22-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching