Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,028,792 times

Advertisements

I agree students have different learning styles. I learned way better without the typical lecture, learn, study, and take multiple choice exam structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Students have different learning styles. There are also many instructing styles, and embarrassing students is one of the least effective, least respectful of any of them.

I have attended many corporate training classes, and generally, corporate trainings are geared toward addressing ALL learning styles. Teaching is an art form. Just because a teacher knows the material thoroughly does not mean that he or she is a good teacher. A thoughtful instructor will put time and energy into presenting course materials in a way that appeals to all learning styles.

Several posters have pointed out there are other ways to motivate students rather than using embarassment. As a student who was one of the ones who drifted off, I think using thoughtful ways for students to be more participatory is the best way to resolve this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
These students are not going into cushy jobs with flexibility at Fortune 500 Companies, instead they are going into Administrative Support jobs at small companies.

Does anyone agree we should be tougher on students to prepare for a tougher world?
Tougher world? Being beat by their parents, living homeless, being adopted several times, having to work at a young age, getting cancer, lupis, ect.There are a lot of things students go through already, how much tougher does it need to be? Assuming that your students have a cushy life is really sad. I hope this next generation does not get ready for corporate life and work towards working for themselves.

Quote:
The students are only being embarrassed if they did not do the work and are not actively involved in class. Would a boss embarrass a worker if he or she was not prepared with the answers in a corporate meeting?

Oh, I forgot, because they are paying to learn us teachers have to be easier on them than a corporate setting.
Unless you are teaching a public speaking class, there is no way someone could be prepared for a corporate meeting. Knowing a skill is one thing, presenting it to a team of corporate management is another.

I am only concerned because you are assuming your student's life and if any of them are older adults, late 20's early 30's, will feel alienated. Do know if any of your students are slow or cannot respond? When my teacher in public speaking points me out and asks me a question. I will be unable to respond sometimes because I do not think on my feet like someone in sales. I have to hear it, do the task, then i can answer the question.

But do not get me wrong, I am not attacking your effort. Because at the same time i feel the same as you for the ones that are not paying attention. The ones on laptops or playing around with their phone. Not only does it distract other students, but is annoying.

When i first took Japanese in college when i first got out of high school, i thought it would be different. Wrong. Everyone joked, talked and distracted me from learning anything from the teacher. It was annoying. Anyway, there is another reply to your posts.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
These students are not going into cushy jobs with flexibility at Fortune 500 Companies, instead they are going into Administrative Support jobs at small companies.

Does anyone agree we should be tougher on students to prepare for a tougher world?
I don't think that is any of your business. Teach them the curriculum and leave your personal ideologies out of it. How arrogant of you. You should be ashamed.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
How are they coasting if they can pass the tests? They, obviously, know the material. Whether it's in test form or class discussion, they're going to have to learn the exact same material either way. And it's not like Weekend Traveler is having a class discussion here. He/She is making them repeat back everything he/she says. Tell me, again, how is that educational?
I consider Cs and Ds coasting. A great deal of students pass tests with these grades and coast on thru. As to the rest of your points read post read post #6 for my answers.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:58 PM

985 posts, read 2,604,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I consider Cs and Ds coasting. A great deal of students pass tests with these grades and coast on thru. As to the rest of your points read post read post #6 for my answers.

Where did the OP say they were making C's and D's on the test? And, yeah, that style of teaching is working out real well for the OP so far. It's not like he/she came on an internet board asking strangers, most of whom probably have no teaching background, how to handle their class or anything. Pardon my sarcasm. All the OP is going to do is annoy those in the class that actually are wanting to learn.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Where did the OP say they were making C's and D's on the test? And, yeah, that style of teaching is working out real well for the OP so far. It's not like he/she came on an internet board asking strangers, most of whom probably have no teaching background, how to handle their class or anything. Pardon my sarcasm. All the OP is going to do is annoy those in the class that actually are wanting to learn.
The OP did not say anything about Cs and Ds as coasting, I did. I believe you said "how are they coasting if they can pass the tests?" I was simply answering your question. Also a lot of people including myself bound ideas off people here. Granted you will get a lot of foolish responses, but occasionally you find pearls of wisdom. I am not sure why the OP did it I am just posting my ideas.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

You are a student. Do you not realize embarrassing somebody is a form of harassment?

Quote:
I agree, if you can you should place a participation grade on your syllabus to reflect those things. Additionally while they are paying you. Your school has a reputation to uphold if a little embarrassment is what is necessary to produce quality grads and uphold the reputation of your school as being a quality education institution I say embarrass away. A schools grads, can reflect poorly or well on a schools reputation. If someone coasts through they probably should meet resistance if they do not then that is a problem with the school.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 PM

I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am not sure why you would care if a student looks like they aren't paying attention. The student is paying to go to the class, if they don't pay attention they won't learn the material and they will fail the test. It is as simple as that. It always annoyed me when profs. did this in college. I learn very well on my own. Most of the time I would read ahead in the book and try to 'teach' myself the material while sitting in class. Obviously it always looked like I wasn't paying attention. When I was confused with what I read on my own, I would tune in and listen to the lecture for clues. I also got very good grades in school. Your students are the one paying money, it seems very unreasonable of you to tell them how they should learn and what they should do. As a teacher your job is to present the material to them and give them the tools to learn it. You aren't teaching 1st grade. It is your student's responsibility to learn it, and if they don't...fail them! If someone can pass your tests while not paying attention (or even not showing up to class), good for them!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are a student. Do you not realize embarrassing somebody is a form of harassment?
Yes I am a student and no, since when is embarrassment harassment? Sometimes I think we are becoming to PC about everything. I think embarrassment is a good motivator. It might just be me, but I think this idea of handling everyone with kid gloves is insane. At some point it has got to be sink or swim. Whats next...soon is society going to say giving people Fs is harassment, God forbid we give people things based on merit. Imho like grades, respect must earned and if you don't put out you should get embarrassed and lose face. Academics, like most of life is and should be challenging and an arena of equal opportunity and unequal reward and a little embarrassment is a good motivator for next time. Especially if a student is not paying attention and a little embarrassment helps them get their s*** together.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM

It's in most penal codes or the dictionary. Repeatedly annoying a person is harassment.

define: harass - Google Search

Quote:
Yes I am a student and no, since when is embarrassment harassment? Sometimes I think we are becoming to PC about everything. I think embarrassment is a good motivator. It might just be me, but I think this idea of handling everyone with kid gloves is insane. At some point it has got to be sink or swim. Whats next...soon is society going to say giving people Fs is harassment, God forbid we give people things based on merit. Imho like grades, respect must earned and if you don't put out you should get embarrassed and lose face. Academics, like most of life is and should be challenging and an arena of equal opportunity and unequal reward and a little embarrassment is a good motivator for next time. Especially if a student is not paying attention and a little embarrassment helps them get their s*** together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching