Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM

83 posts, read 211,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Have any of you ever heard a teacher say they feel like they are being treated like a child/student by their administrator or central office?
As a substitute teacher (that is going to be a full teacher in one year) I can honestly say my local school district treats all teachers like little children.

Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; 07-27-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I work in a high-energy, high-demand profession, too. One that requires lots of extra hours. One that requires nights and weekends. One with deadlines and capricious clients. And, yes, there are times when I don't feel like going to work.

But, guess what? I don't get a two-week vacation at Christmas. I don't get one week off for Spring Break. I don't get off for Veterans' Day, President's Day Weekend, or one over several Work Days scattered throughout the year. I don't get 10-12 weeks off every summer, either. In fact, if I took off a month, I wouldn't be able to feed my family.

In short, the average teacher gets more time off in the average year than the average worker gets in seven. I just have a hard time dealing with the complaints on this matter.
Let me know when you have actually worked a full day in a modern classroom. You will then be singing to a different tune.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post
Let me know when you have actually worked a full day in a modern classroom. You will then be singing to a different tune.
I could not have said it any better, especially the comment about teachers being treated like children by admins. They also get treated like servants by parents and like complete **** by high school students. I mean, if they are causing fellow students to commit suicide, how do you think they make teachers feel?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I could not have said it any better, especially the comment about teachers being treated like children by admins. They also get treated like servants by parents and like complete **** by high school students. I mean, if they are causing fellow students to commit suicide, how do you think they make teachers feel?

The difference would be that the teachers are adults, and have a choice about being there.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post

This would be a prime example of the "butbutbut...we have it worser'n ANYBODY!" sort of post. Just...y'know...for the record.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:35 AM

I've been in the classroom many times over the last three years and have taken over from regular teachers that have just quit their job because they could no longer handle the daily stresses of the job. Since I have an authoritative presence in the classroom I see very few problems discipline-wise. Teaching is not easy and I will be the first to admit that. It takes everything you have in your being to do the job properly.

I am studying to become a high school Social Science teacher, but since I am very good in Math (background as a Computer Analyst/Programmer) I also teach a lot of Math classes. In my last position (Geometry/Algebra), I actually was awarded a very nice Certificate of Appreciation for taking over the classes from a Math teacher that just quit for no apparent reason. The students told me that I explained mathematical concepts to them better than she did and they enjoyed having me as their teacher. They even let the secretary and principal know that. Kind of makes me feel good to be appreciated...

In short, I know what I am talking about regarding teaching. Teaching is the most difficult job I have ever had in my life but I absolutely love it. It's what I was meant to do.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
This would be a prime example of the "butbutbut...we have it worser'n ANYBODY!" sort of post. Just...y'know...for the record.

Well, I guess you'll just have to take the word of those of us who have done both.

I can say that teaching is harder than I thought it would be. I knew it was hard going in but you have no idea until you do it. You have to keep a lot of balls in the air and you have to do it all by yourself with minimal on the job training. I can't think of another profession that expects new graduates, right out of college, to operate in isolation from peers.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
That's where isolation is an issue. When the only people you're in contact with are your students, you start to take what they say too seriously. Having just finished my hazing year (I liked that analogy), I have to admit I let more than one student I shouldn't get to me. With support it's easier to weather the storm.

Our students are just kids. When they become our primary source of feedback, it can be an issue. Sometimes it's the teacher you hate who has the most impact on you but it's not easy being disliked.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The difference would be that the teachers are adults, and have a choice about being there.
I actually just got into an argument with someone yesterday about this very same issue (i.e. choice.) I left a public school b/c I didn't like the way that I was being treated or the way things were done. I encouraged teachers who didn't like teaching in public schools or who didn't agree with public school policies to seek out other teaching alternatives (private, charter.) The person who I was arguing with said that I was able to leave my crappy job b/c I was "privileged" (i.e. I had money to fall back on and could thus afford to leave a job--and a paycheck--b/c I didn't need one.)

Now, I totally don't agree with someone saying that I am "privileged" b/c I chose not to stay in a toxic situation. However, it illustrates that many teachers DO NOT feel that they have a choice; they have to stay in these situations b/c they need to make a living. As the person with whom I was arguing pointed out, there are not a lot of options other than public, as they comprise the majority of schools in the country.

I keep telling teachers that they do have a choice and should not stay in and empower jobs that they are miserable in. And all I keep hearing back is, "I can't afford to take a stand, I don't have a choice because I can't afford to have one." The issue is further compounded by the fact that a teacher can be fired (and every fired teacher is always blackballed and will be hard pressed to find a job elsewhere, especially without good refs) for what admins view as "insubordination"; and a teacher who expresses an opinion that is contrary to District policy is being insubordinate. It's also interesting to point out that the kids are disciplined for the very same behavior--insubordination--when they defy school policy.

So I ask you... Do teachers really have a choice? Do you still "have a choice" if you cannot afford to have one? Are teachers really treated as adults when they are disciplined for the very same actions for which students are disciplined? Do teachers have a choice when they will be disciplined for expressing an opinion re:education that does not agree with District policy? Is there really any difference between how a teacher is treated and how a student is treated?

I appreciate all opinions on the matter. However, I am going to state that my answers to the above questions are, "NO."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching