Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,016,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
That's funny, I could swear on other posts that you said you taught in a transition-to-work program. You really need to write your plotlines down.
I agree.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM

223 posts, read 532,847 times
Lecture sucks........Don't do it as much and they won't be bored.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM

943 posts, read 3,166,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
That's funny, I could swear on other posts that you said you taught in a transition-to-work program. You really need to write your plotlines down.
I teach management classes and welfare for work classes also as well as being a HR Manager/Recruiter for a local employer based in Washington DC. I work alot and play alot and have something to say about the topic. Do not try to discredit me so other people stop listening to my advice. It would be their loss.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,016,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I teach management classes and welfare for work classes also as well as being a HR Manager/Recruiter for a local employer based in Washington DC. I work alot and play alot and have something to say about the topic. Do not try to discredit me so other people stop listening to my advice. It would be their loss.
Not really, cause all your 'advice' sucks.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,459,939 times
Well you dont worry about it, those students are responsible for their own education. So if they do poorly because they are not paying attention then its their fault. Its college not kindergarten.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,402,708 times
Students are absolutely responsible for their own education. If they truly want to learn, they will. I know that there will be many people who disagree with me, but when students are given everything for free, they have no incentive. They have free breakfast, free lunch, free school supplies, social time, can misbehave and not even earn a credit, and still American students have the highest level of self-esteem in the world. That is not true of all students, but quite a few are guilty. When students have to be accountable to get anything for free (such as a 2.0 minimum gpa and no serious discipline problems), then there will be a change in attitude. This attitude carries to college and jobs. Yes, students can go to community college and take remedial courses if they did not achieve in high school. While many of you will probably disagree with me, those of you who teach in public school have seen this.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM

910 posts, read 2,339,538 times
Or, it's just cool to be bored and uninterested...some students take that attitude even before they step forth in a classroom.

You have to somehow relate to the kids. I think there's a disconnect between teachers, particularly older ones, and their students. There's a crop of new teachers too that are capturing the attention of their students, unfortunately, some leading to incidences of in appropriate activity. I know as much as that's reported in the news lately, they are still isolated incidents and I realize there are still a lot of good teachers out there who mean well. It's too bad there are also a good number of parents who do not foster their children's education, as they really are ultimately responsible for their kids success, if not drive and motivation, in school.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM

22,695 posts, read 47,899,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Do not try to discredit me so other people stop listening to my advice. It would be their loss.
Seriously?
What advice have you given?

All your posts (that I ventured to open) are nothing but whining about students....

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,607,705 times
Closed for mod review

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching