Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,565,760 times

Advertisements

Darn. I just checked. One of my classes is up to 36 . I don't even have 36 seats. To get 35 in my classroom, I have to seat two students at my demo table.

I know the numbers will drop off after a few weeks but this is going to make the first few weeks very difficult. And, of course, it's my last class of the day. When I'm tired and they're tired....and I have labs planned for week two and three...This will be fun....NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM

134 posts, read 343,173 times
My classroom max is 24 by law. A friend in a differrent district had 4 students in her bilingual classroom while the other grade level teachers hit their max.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
One-to-one teacher-student ratio, where I work. It's pretty awesome.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM

45,460 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Got my numbers today, smallest class is 35.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One-to-one teacher-student ratio, where I work. It's pretty awesome.
That I wouldn't like. I like the grou dynamics. I like how the kids can feed off of each other in developing ideas. Unless I were dealing with a special needs child, I'd find 1:1 pretty boring.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,647 times
I'm furious over the these crazy large classes. One person CANNOT monitor 35 students esp in a science setting.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I'm furious over the these crazy large classes. One person CANNOT monitor 35 students esp in a science setting.
I agree. Unfortunately, my administration doesn't seem to realize that. They see full classes as a bargain.

I wouldn't mind large classes if they gave me a TA and a large enough classroom. My class is packed with 28 students in it. It's standing room only with 36. I can seat 30 but I leave myself about 3 feet in front of the room between the board and the first students desk and cram the rows too close together. My room could, comfortably, seat 24 and labs wouldn't be an issue. They put half again that many in the room and it's a nightmare. I can't monitor 36 students and the students know it and take advantage of it.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, my administration doesn't seem to realize that. They see full classes as a bargain.

I wouldn't mind large classes if they gave me a TA and a large enough classroom. My class is packed with 28 students in it. It's standing room only with 36. I can seat 30 but I leave myself about 3 feet in front of the room between the board and the first students desk and cram the rows too close together. My room could, comfortably, seat 24 and labs wouldn't be an issue. They put half again that many in the room and it's a nightmare. I can't monitor 36 students and the students know it and take advantage of it.
Fortunately, suffering is good for them.

</sarcasm>

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Fortunately, suffering is good for them.

</sarcasm>
Who said they suffer? Would you please link to the post where I, supposedly, said "suffering" in classes too large for the teacher to maintain order is good for students?

I recall talking about struggling with learning being good for students and I think it is. When material is difficult or they have to step outside of the box WRT the learning method, there's a lot to be learned. However, I don't recall talking about "suffering" in any way shape or form being good for students. or are you claiming suffering is good for them?

Besides, they're not the ones who suffer. That would be me. My stress levels are through the roof in large classes. Especially during labs. Exactly how do you think my students "suffer" here?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,642,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Who said they suffer? Would you please link to the post where I, supposedly, said "suffering" in classes too large for the teacher to maintain order is good for students?

I recall talking about struggling with learning being good for students and I think it is. When material is difficult or they have to step outside of the box WRT the learning method, there's a lot to be learned. However, I don't recall talking about "suffering" in any way shape or form being good for students. or are you claiming suffering is good for them?

Besides, they're not the ones who suffer. That would be me. My stress levels are through the roof in large classes. Especially during labs. Exactly how do you think my students "suffer" here?
You also observed that what does not kill me makes me stronger and what we learn in pain we retain.

Did you use the word "suffer?" No.

And if you struggle, then isn't that good for you, according to you?

And isn't it more of a struggle for students to learn in a class of 35 than 28? So, wouldn't that better for them, as well, by your view of things?

Think of the learning experiences!

Sincerely, though, I am sorry that your classroom is being overcrowded beyond your ability to monitor effectively or conduct labs safely - and sorry that so many classrooms for so many teachers are being overcrowded.

It doesn't make for good learning, good teaching, or good living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching