Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

Annie, I think you are absolutely right with your thinking. My daughter has certificates from three states now - Illinois, Pennsylvania and New York. Each one took time and money. The certification tests were all similar (actually don't think she had to take a test for NY) and she didn't study for any of them and scored very well. That kind of tells you that it's all about supporting the testing company IMHO.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Seriously, when are they going to come up with a national test rather than having each state determine testing and cert requirements? It's so ridiculous and dramatically beauracratic. I mean, if they can come up with a national test for lawyers (i.e. the BAR exam), why not for teachers? It would make everything much more efficient and practical.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:20 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I have been thinking about this for awhile. I went back to school as an adult because I want to finish my degree and teach. I go to the university in my area because this is where I live, for now, but I have absolutely NO intention of teaching in Illinois.

Why is it that a person who graduates from an accredited institution cannot immediately teach anywhere in the US where he/she gets a job? Really, wouldn't it be easier if there was one, standardized Teacher Education curriculum that all colleges could follow? It makes no sense to me that I can get a degree that will allow me to teach anywhere in Illinois but if I wanted, for instance, to go one mile over the border into Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, I would have to go through the whole involved (not to mention potentially expensive) process of obtaining a teaching license for that state.

I'm sure the argument could be made that if this were the case then all the teachers would flock to areas where the pay is higher, and I suppose that could be true. But in reality, when we live in such a mobile society, doesn't it make sense to have a teaching license be valid everywhere?
I think rather than "licensing," teachers should carry a "passport" that indicates their experience and competence in manners that indicate the value added they can provide. It is of little use to know a teacher has a B.A. or a teaching credential or has passed a psych-based standardized test (teachers exams are notoriously easy). It makes more sense to know their skills in particular areas. Also, their teaching experience and performance with real kids in terms of value added would be helpful.

Any such portfolio would travel well.

S.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
If it's any comfort, it's the same for nurses, though once you have the licenese by exam, you can usually just fill out paperwork for the next state. Plus, my state is now in a big "pact" that actually licenses me for several states.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Seriously, when are they going to come up with a national test rather than having each state determine testing and cert requirements? It's so ridiculous and dramatically beauracratic. I mean, if they can come up with a national test for lawyers (i.e. the BAR exam), why not for teachers? It would make everything much more efficient and practical.
The bar exam is a state test or a combination of state test.
bar examination - Legal Definition

Not the analogy you want

Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I think rather than "licensing," teachers should carry a "passport" that indicates their experience and competence in manners that indicate the value added they can provide. It is of little use to know a teacher has a B.A. or a teaching credential or has passed a psych-based standardized test (teachers exams are notoriously easy). It makes more sense to know their skills in particular areas. Also, their teaching experience and performance with real kids in terms of value added would be helpful.

S.
Are you familiar with the Praxis tests? That is part of the different standards from state to state. What is the pass rate going to be is the major question that states answer for themselves.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Annie, I think you are absolutely right with your thinking. My daughter has certificates from three states now - Illinois, Pennsylvania and New York. Each one took time and money. The certification tests were all similar (actually don't think she had to take a test for NY) and she didn't study for any of them and scored very well. That kind of tells you that it's all about supporting the testing company IMHO.
Not sure why they took more time or money unless one state had a different Praxis test requirement. I am pretty sure that certification between Pennsylvania and New York is reciprocal in most majors as they both have very high standards. Illinois is no slouch and many states accept theirs. That doesn't mean they accept the other states back. There can be differences in organizational level certification.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM

Reciprocity
FYI

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

If one state wishes to recognize a teaching certificate from another state, great. If not, too bad. We are a nation of 50 sovereign states that have the right to secede if their state rights are infringed upon by the federal government. There are several states that have passed resolutions putting the Obama Administration on notice that if he steps on their toes, there will be trouble.

Let's please not turn this into a political issue about Obama.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

S.
I think this would be a fantastic idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching