Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,470,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure why they took more time or money unless one state had a different Praxis test requirement. I am pretty sure that certification between Pennsylvania and New York is reciprocal in most majors as they both have very high standards. Illinois is no slouch and many states accept theirs. That doesn't mean they accept the other states back. There can be differences in organizational level certification.
Because to take the state licensing in whatever test you want to be licensed there is a fee. On top of that, I'm not about to move to a different state without a job, which means driving to a different state to take their certification test in the hopes that it will be easier for me to be hired by a district in their state.

And I have asked repeatedly about reciprocity, and according to the directors of my teaching program there is no reciprocity with Illinois. It may be easier to get a job in Wisconsin or Iowa because of proximity, but they don't automatically accept a new teacher who has a license in another state. But I plan on leaving the midwest entirely, so it's going to be a crap shoot trying to get a job. I have checked several state websites and they all have different procedures/requirements for hiring a new teacher who is not licensed in their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Let's please not turn this into a political issue about Obama.
To some people having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night is about Obama. Didn't you know there was no certification in the United States until January 20, 2009. Nope none at all. There were no teacher standards during the Bush year. Hell there were not even any standards for student achievement during the Bush years. What you mean the standardization of student achievement and school performance at the national level occured during the Bush administration? Isn't that one of the biggest infringements on state rights in education? Hmmmm ok for Bush but not Obama? Hmmmm what can be the difference in that posters mind? Maybe they never heard of NCLB? Or perhaps standards from the federal govt for students and schools is ok but not teachers. Oh well only they know in their heart and mind their rationalization.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Because to take the state licensing in whatever test you want to be licensed there is a fee. On top of that, I'm not about to move to a different state without a job, which means driving to a different state to take their certification test in the hopes that it will be easier for me to be hired by a district in their state.

And I have asked repeatedly about reciprocity, and according to the directors of my teaching program there is no reciprocity with Illinois. It may be easier to get a job in Wisconsin or Iowa because of proximity, but they don't automatically accept a new teacher who has a license in another state. But I plan on leaving the midwest entirely, so it's going to be a crap shoot trying to get a job. I have checked several state websites and they all have different procedures/requirements for hiring a new teacher who is not licensed in their state.
What test are you talking about? If you mean the Praxis you can take that anywhere that offers the specific test needed. Unfortunately as I posted previously it is easier to move down the certification difficulty scale. Moving up to a state with more stringent standards is difficult. One of the major differences remember is the passing score required on the individual Praxis test. Also you can often get a job and will be given a time period ( often two years) to complete the requirements in the new state. The issue is what are you missing. Is it one or two specific courses? If it is a higher Praxis score on a given test a district will treat you differently. The easiest situation is if you need to take a specific test and have high scores on the test you have taken.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,529,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If it's any comfort, it's the same for nurses, though once you have the licenese by exam, you can usually just fill out paperwork for the next state. Plus, my state is now in a big "pact" that actually licenses me for several states.
The thing with a nursing license is that taking a blood pressure or giving CPR in Minnesota is the same as it is in Florida. Not that there is a huge difference but each state has their own educational requirements for graduation and some states require classes that others don't. I know that for the most part a teaching license in MN is accepted in WI but if you come from MN and want to get licensed in WI you have to take an additional course in American Indian studies. Some states will take a MN license without requiring any additional course work or testing. MN will not accept any other state's license automatically.

It isn't the Praxis or any other testing that holds states back it is the coursework requirements to get the license. You may have all of the required coursework and just need to submit an application and fee or you many need to take some additional classes.

I don't know of any profession that has a nationwide license that is good everywhere without having to apply and submit a fee to be licensed in individual states.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 AM

563 posts, read 2,780,283 times
Most states have reciprocity with each other:

NASDTEC Clearinghouse

I received my degree in the state of FL, moved to GA, then to VA. I only had to take a certification test once--in FL for my teaching certificate. My FL certificate allowed me to get a clear renewable GA certificate, and that one allowed me to get a professional certificate in VA. The only thing I had to concern myself with was paying the fee for the certificates (and now keeping up with each state for renewal purposes, lol)

Old 09-05-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The thing with a nursing license is that taking a blood pressure or giving CPR in Minnesota is the same as it is in Florida. Not that there is a huge difference but each state has their own educational requirements for graduation and some states require classes that others don't. I know that for the most part a teaching license in MN is accepted in WI but if you come from MN and want to get licensed in WI you have to take an additional course in American Indian studies. Some states will take a MN license without requiring any additional course work or testing. MN will not accept any other state's license automatically.

It isn't the Praxis or any other testing that holds states back it is the coursework requirements to get the license. You may have all of the required coursework and just need to submit an application and fee or you many need to take some additional classes.

I don't know of any profession that has a nationwide license that is good everywhere without having to apply and submit a fee to be licensed in individual states.
It is easier to get a district to hire you with a provisional if you have certification from another state. The difficulty in getting hired is if you have no certification. Again if it is a high demand content area you have a much better chance. As many people have said moving from state to state isn't that difficult for many people. A lot depends on the quality of the teacher education program and the breadth of course work they require. Good schools produce students with a broader range of content and better prep to be mobile. If you go to big university with a strong education program and lots of courses to select from you are better off when compared to going to a small college with limited options and a focus on that state. Big universities have students from all over and need to prepare them for all over and give them a course selection to meet their home state or desired state certification. Sorta like becoming a Petroleum Engineer and wanting to come home to Chicago to work. You need to have some sort of end game in mind when you start out.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Most states have reciprocity with each other:

NASDTEC Clearinghouse

I received my degree in the state of FL, moved to GA, then to VA. I only had to take a certification test once--in FL for my teaching certificate. My FL certificate allowed me to get a clear renewable GA certificate, and that one allowed me to get a professional certificate in VA. The only thing I had to concern myself with was paying the fee for the certificates (and now keeping up with each state for renewal purposes, lol)
A lot depends on what stage of your career you are in and if you are grandfathered etc etc.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:55 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The thing with a nursing license is that taking a blood pressure or giving CPR in Minnesota is the same as it is in Florida.
What a nurse can do, and under what supervision, varies from state to state. Back when Florence Nightingale and I were in nursing school, each state had different passing scores required for the state board exam.

Back to teaching, yes, I realize states have their individual requirements. I recall my cousin had to take a course in Texas history to get a license in Texas.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What a nurse can do, and under what supervision, varies from state to state. Back when Florence Nightingale and I were in nursing school, each state had different passing scores required for the state board exam.

Back to teaching, yes, I realize states have their individual requirements. I recall my cousin had to take a course in Texas history to get a license in Texas.
And for a History teacher that is a fair requirement that would be different from state to state.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And for a History teacher that is a fair requirement that would be different from state to state.
Agreed, though cuz is a PE/health teacher. Maybe they need to know TX history, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching