Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 AM

31,691 posts, read 41,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
How so? I moved to GA with 2 years of teaching experience under my belt. Wasn't grandfathered into anything.
I didn't say is I said can be. It can make a difference in deciding whether to hire you or not based on previous performance and the standards for that state certification. It IS different from state to state in certification and district to district in what they will hire. Part of this discussion is not just about needing to update your certification but to get a new one. You had two years of teaching. Had you met the state you came from standard for advanced certification? Two years probably didn't get you tenured in many states. If not you came having been non tenured from your previous state and only you know if you had met advanced certification but if not tenured probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I felt this system was horrible antiquated and meant to make more money for colleges and sending in licensure fees, 150 bucks in 1990 for a teaching certificate in ONE STATE.

It is sad that a teacher cannot move, but has to go through pay for another semester of classes to get certified in another state.
Have you read the links about reciprocity? There is often not always a good reason if reciprocity doesn't exist.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Should certification standards be equal when the quality of teacher training programs varies so much from state to state and within states?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
How so? I moved to GA with 2 years of teaching experience under my belt. Wasn't grandfathered into anything.
After you got hired how many courses did you need to take?

Georgia Professional Standards Commission - Traditional Routes (http://www.gapsc.com/certification/documents/traditional_routes.asp - broken link)
2. INTERSTATE MOBILITY (RECIPROCITY)
Hold an out-of-state professional certificate or have completed a state-approved educator program (with recommendation form) from another state. Specific Georgia requirements to be completed will be determined based on individual experience and credentials. Recent out-of-state experience may exempt some requirements.

LINKS: Reciprocity Rule 505-2-.15
Special GA Requirements Rule 505-2-.20 See para. (2) Out-of-State Experience Exemption.
NASDTEC Interstate Agreement
TeachGeorgia Job Vacancies/Job Fairs

IF INTERSTATE RECIPROCITY IS THE BEST ROUTE FOR YOU, YOUR NEXT STEP IS TO CONTACT A LOCAL GEORGIA SCHOOL SYSTEM AND OBTAIN EMPLOYMENT.

You were going to need to take courses anyway for advanced certification so what is the issue? Teachers are always taking courses and some of them may have been in house and at minimum cost.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM

563 posts, read 2,777,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I didn't say is I said can be. It can make a difference in deciding whether to hire you or not based on previous performance and the standards for that state certification. It IS different from state to state in certification and district to district in what they will hire. Part of this discussion is not just about needing to update your certification but to get a new one. You had two years of teaching. Had you met the state you came from standard for advanced certification? Two years probably didn't get you tenured in many states. If not you came having been non tenured from your previous state and only you know if you had met advanced certification but if not tenured probably not.
Ah. Gotcha.

Tenure doesn't exist in the states I worked in, so that was a non-issue.

Assuming you mean full certification, yes I met that standard before I left, which made it easier. Had I not done that, all I would have had to take was the Praxis test for my certification area and pass....and I would have had full certification in GA (which in turn would have led to me having full certification in VA).

I apologize, but I'm just having trouble seeing how it's so difficult for teachers to move from state to state. I've never had that problem...and in interviews the only question that came up was "Are you certified?" and I always replied that I was certified in (insert state I was moving from here) and it was a non-issue.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Ah. Gotcha.

Tenure doesn't exist in the states I worked in, so that was a non-issue.

Assuming you mean full certification, yes I met that standard before I left, which made it easier. Had I not done that, all I would have had to take was the Praxis test for my certification area and pass....and I would have had full certification in GA (which in turn would have led to me having full certification in VA).

I apologize, but I'm just having trouble seeing how it's so difficult for teachers to move from state to state. I've never had that problem...and in interviews the only question that came up was "Are you certified?" and I always replied that I was certified in (insert state I was moving from here) and it was a non-issue.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss it isn't that big a problem or issue for a teacher with a great track record of performance. Virginia certification is great and very portable. What school district in Virginia?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 PM

563 posts, read 2,777,793 times
Quote:
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss it isn't that big a problem or issue for a teacher with a great track record of performance. Virginia certification is great and very portable. What school district in Virginia?
This is true! I see where you're coming from now! It was easier for me to get a job in VA with 5 years of experience vs. in GA with 2 years of experience (in GA I was hired in an inner city district first), whereas in VA I was hired in a great (imo) suburban/rural district.

I taught in York County School District when I lived in VA. Loved it! If the cost of living wasn't so high...I'd have stayed vs. moved back to metro Atlanta (I'm in a great suburban district now as well, thanks to YCSD in my opinion)

Old 09-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
This is true! I see where you're coming from now! It was easier for me to get a job in VA with 5 years of experience vs. in GA with 2 years of experience (in GA I was hired in an inner city district first), whereas in VA I was hired in a great (imo) suburban/rural district.

I taught in York County School District when I lived in VA. Loved it! If the cost of living wasn't so high...I'd have stayed vs. moved back to metro Atlanta (I'm in a great suburban district now as well, thanks to YCSD in my opinion)
People hiring need something to grab a hold of. As you built a track record you gave them more to evaluate. Also as you go from a state that is more progressive and ahead of the curve in assessments to another state your credentials are enhanced. Now working in a suburban district with experience in an urban you have built a solid platform of educational experience. Certification differences are less important to a new state in evaluating you. Also if the change involves taking a previously not taken test what if your portfolio suggest you have the capacity to pass it? You have done well and are in great shape. You know those Virginia Standards of Learning and that is worth a few courses.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,614,783 times
Quote:
If many states use the Praxis for certification and another one doesn't unless they have a reciprocity agreement it becomes hard to compare their certification with the new states standards. In some state comparison with some majors it might just be a higher score difference not a test difference. If someone is reviewing a new application in a non critical need area and there is not an easy certification read what is the probability of that applicant getting a full opportunity when there is another file waiting to be reviewed that is easy to compare with strong recommendations?
Efficiency is the key and some files are easier to process. Are H.R. offices staffed based on the number of applicants or the number of teachers traditionally needed. With staff retention up and fewer teachers leaving and retiring are H.R. offices experiencing cut backs even if their number of applicants is increasing?
Pennsylvania states that it does have reciprocity with Illinois, but PA still requires applicants take PA praxis tests. Even with people that have taken Praxis tests, PA requires them to take certain Praxis tests. If you look at the praxis test it's not as if there is one elementary ed praxis, there are actually a few choices. IL does require a certification test, and according to my daughter it was just like the Praxis.

BTW, my daughter did get a job in PA without her certification, but had taken the tests so was able to get emergency certification. She was extremely fortunate. That was also the case with her current job in NY. If a school wants you, they will take you, with or without the paperwork.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-06-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM

37,820 posts, read 41,132,981 times
I'm in favor of competition. If a school district wants higher standards for their teachers than some other school district, I think they should be allowed to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching