Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:55 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure why they took more time or money unless one state had a different Praxis test requirement. I am pretty sure that certification between Pennsylvania and New York is reciprocal in most majors as they both have very high standards. Illinois is no slouch and many states accept theirs. That doesn't mean they accept the other states back. There can be differences in organizational level certification.
Illinois doesn't use the Praxis. She didn't have to take the Praxis for NY, but she had to pay for the certification, I'm not sure that's a permanent one.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,690,936 times
Not every state works the same way in all things. I worked at a public library in North Carolina and constantly had to help those who came from other states learn what can and cannot be done in our state. I would think the schools would be the same way. Our state really protects its citizens and their rights. The people that I worked with who migrated to our area either did not know proper behavior or did not care. Some of the things they did could have caused our county to spend a lot of money on law suits. I found the ignorance of some of the people who moved here incredible. So yes, before someone starts teaching my child, I would prefer that they learn North Carolina rules.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,583,226 times
It is not THAT hard to change state certifications, you might have to take a class, or a different test. I am very much against involving the federal gov't in too much stuff. States need to retain their rights and requirements.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 PM

691 posts, read 2,332,731 times
It is frustrating, I believe that there should be a national standard for teaching certification, and counseling certification. I was licensed to teach in one state, moved to another, and told I had to take classes for same license, same job. I was given a "provisional" license, with caveat that I had to take classes, that I had to pay for, to do a job I have done for 10 years. Go figure it.

Don't even get me started on counseling licensure.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,126,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Illinois doesn't use the Praxis. She didn't have to take the Praxis for NY, but she had to pay for the certification, I'm not sure that's a permanent one.
That in itself can create transfer of certification problems for a first year teacher.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM

The following is a link with state by state reciprocity. It is easier if you have full advanced certification in one state to transfer in some cases.
http://www.jflalc.org/upload/336.pdf (broken link)

As you can see from a number of posters they have strong feelings against any standard national certification. You do have National Board Certification and that is different from state to state and district to district how it is recognized and compensated for. No state is going to want to lower their standards as they have determined them. If students move from one state to another they have to meet the new states accountability standards ( except seniors often in their second semester) so why not their teachers? Hmmmmm?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:43 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times
Quote:
That in itself can create transfer of certification problems for a first year teacher.
What? Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't understand what you mean.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What? Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't understand what you mean.
If many states use the Praxis for certification and another one doesn't unless they have a reciprocity agreement it becomes hard to compare their certification with the new states standards. In some state comparison with some majors it might just be a higher score difference not a test difference. If someone is reviewing a new application in a non critical need area and there is not an easy certification read what is the probability of that applicant getting a full opportunity when there is another file waiting to be reviewed that is easy to compare with strong recommendations?
Efficiency is the key and some files are easier to process. Are H.R. offices staffed based on the number of applicants or the number of teachers traditionally needed. With staff retention up and fewer teachers leaving and retiring are H.R. offices experiencing cut backs even if their number of applicants is increasing?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 AM

563 posts, read 2,777,571 times
Quote:
A lot depends on what stage of your career you are in and if you are grandfathered etc etc.
How so? I moved to GA with 2 years of teaching experience under my belt. Wasn't grandfathered into anything.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 AM

943 posts, read 2,286,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I have been thinking about this for awhile. I went back to school as an adult because I want to finish my degree and teach. I go to the university in my area because this is where I live, for now, but I have absolutely NO intention of teaching in Illinois.

Why is it that a person who graduates from an accredited institution cannot immediately teach anywhere in the US where he/she gets a job? Really, wouldn't it be easier if there was one, standardized Teacher Education curriculum that all colleges could follow? It makes no sense to me that I can get a degree that will allow me to teach anywhere in Illinois but if I wanted, for instance, to go one mile over the border into Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, I would have to go through the whole involved (not to mention potentially expensive) process of obtaining a teaching license for that state.

I'm sure the argument could be made that if this were the case then all the teachers would flock to areas where the pay is higher, and I suppose that could be true. But in reality, when we live in such a mobile society, doesn't it make sense to have a teaching license be valid everywhere?
I felt this system was horrible antiquated and meant to make more money for colleges and sending in licensure fees, 150 bucks in 1990 for a teaching certificate in ONE STATE.

It is sad that a teacher cannot move, but has to go through pay for another semester of classes to get certified in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching