Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Lamplight: The plateau would be great for you! Or try Knoxville or the Tri-Cities. You poor thing. I had no idea it got that hot over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
From central Florida, moving to Cookeville area. Having spent a large amount of time in Cookeville and living in central Florida since 1989 I can tell you, while the numbers might appear to be the same, at least in the areas I'm familiar with, it's a better climate in TN.

Florida just absolutely confines you to your house and your $1000 AC bill. I completely and totally abhor the weather here. The beaches offer a little respite but not much. Not near enough. You can't go outside at night!!!!!!!!!!! That's just miserable.

Went to a midnight showing of inception in shorts and a light weight button down shirt and sweated my ASS off in the 100ft walk between my car and the theater. Hell on earth.

And the winters here: Cold and windy. It might be 50 but the wind is kicking at 20mph it's impossible to enjoy it. The other problem is you'll awake to sub-freezing temps only to have it in the 70-80s by mid-day. Nightmare.

Summary: TN weather is not perfect but FAR more agreeable, to me, than Florida's.
I use to live in Orlando and southwest Florida is even worse. Hard to believe but it is true.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM

230 posts, read 553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I use to live in Orlando and southwest Florida is even worse. Hard to believe but it is true.
Cape Coral area....... I'd rather self immolate than go back there.

I've been in Ocala since 1989. Loved it for about 10 years. Hated since then.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
Quote:

I've been in Ocala since 1989. Loved it for about 10 years. Hated since
then.

There are some other people from the Ocala area. They were pretty much saying the same thing. Contact "sassykat&joe" maybe they can give you some ideas.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:

I've been in Ocala since 1989. Loved it for about 10 years. Hated since then.
We have LOTS of family in that area. As bad as you remember it, it got a whole lot worse during the housing boom. bleah.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
Where would you want to go?
I'm not entirely sure yet, but probably the Pacific Northwest. It seems they have much milder summers, but their winters don't appear to be any colder either. And I much prefer cloudy weather to sunny. But I'll just have to visit some places to know for sure. I like the idea of New England, but from what I've heard the summers can still be pretty hot there, and even though I love cold weather, I'm not sure I'd love that much snow.
Quote:
Florida just absolutely confines you to your house and your $1000 AC bill. I completely and totally abhor the weather here. The beaches offer a little respite but not much. Not near enough. You can't go outside at night!!!!!!!!!!! That's just miserable.
That's exactly how I would describe summer here, but without the beaches and my AC bill is nowhere near that high. I stay inside all summer long, and the only way I can stand to go outside at night is if I'm in a car with the AC on. Summer drains me of life. In the winter I'm cheerful, comfortable, and I spend a lot of time outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lamplight: The plateau would be great for you! Or try Knoxville or the Tri-Cities. You poor thing. I had no idea it got that hot over there.
From my experience, no part of Tennessee is going to be cool enough in summer to be tolerable to me. Those areas are cooler than middle TN, but not enough cooler to justify a move. If I move I'm going to really move.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 AM

I was outside last night at midnight washing down my patio. It was so hot I had to take another shower when I finished. I thought that it would be cooler than doing it in the daytime. It probably was a little cooler but was still miserable.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Florida is not as hot temperature wise, but it is all year long. Maybe a break from the humidity in winter, but it is basically summer all year long! It gets real old.
Remember that Florida is a big state north to south and north Florida definitely has seasons and is NOT warm all year long. Where I live, January-February we'll get stretches where it struggles to get to 50F during the day, and you've got to worry about tender plants freezing on you at night.

And I wonder what kind of house and pool someone has to end up with a $1000/month electric bill. No one I know would ever get close to that kind of number. The worst electric bills we ever had were from the winter in our TN rental house that had those old wall heaters. $300/month+ and the warm air never really seemed to make it very far from the heaters.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM

I have heard that it's pretty nice in North FL. But if I'm going to move , I'm REALLY going to move. And I want to get away from the hurricanes too. And sometimes we don't even have a winter. Christmas day you can go to the beach in 80+ degree weather. It gets hotter and hotter every year where we are in Palm Beach County. My friends electric bill was like $800+ and now it has been 600-700+. She does have a pool but tries to only run the pool system the least amount of time as possible, so her bill went down to 600-700+. Our electric bill has been almost $ 300. for the last 3 months and it is usually around $ 150. The heat has been unbearable here.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Yet another day with heat indexes in the one-teens:

At 2:25pm:

Current temp: 101°F
Humidity: 42%
Dew point: 74°F
Heat index: 113°F

However, I don't think we'll be breaking our record today: 105°F. At least I hope we don't break it!

Currently Fort Lauderdale has a higher dew point and humidity than us, but is a full ten degrees cooler:

Current temp: 91°F
Humidity: 63%
Dew point: 77°F
Heat index: 104°F

I don't think we've had a high temperature as low as 91°F so far in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee