Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

We recently worked with a realtor in central TN and she mentioned that either she or a good friend was a Master Gardener. They make regular trips to McMinville for everything so I would think the nursery centers there carry about anything you could imagine.

Just thinking about it makes my shovel shake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,265 times
Default I too looked here!!!!!!!

Over and over, it is so beautiful and sooo cheap....but...after repeat visits, reading the paper...really researching LIFE there...we decided it is fine to visit, a wonderful place is Rock Island.......but if I had kids, or cared about my family's safety..well then,..NO WAY!!...One nurse living there gave me the best advice she could,that was: to look elsewhere....sadly, being honest, she called her town..."Mc-Methville!!!"

Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 PM

22 posts, read 121,215 times
Mcminnville is a small town only 13,000 residents. I live a little south of there in Tullahoma which is quite a bigger town then McMinnville. I know there are several outlet stores there as well as many local shops. Many people from that area come to either Tullahoma, Cookeville, or Murfressboro/Nashville to shop. Now there are some decent recreational activities such as several parks,1 community center (the "Civic Center") which offers a large variety of recreational activities. Hope you enjoy it, and it is known as Mc-methville. Meth is really bad in both Mcminville and the Tullahoma/coffee county and Franklin County area

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,519 times
Default My Hometown

SORRY TO HERE SUCH NEGATIVE COMMENTS LIKE "McMethville & Redneck's" - such harsh words coming from people who have never lived here. I am proud to be from here. I am a nurse and have lived and traveled all over the United States ( mainly in the South East region) and there is meth everywhere and also Southern people ( nicknamed rednecks). Meth has traveled from the West coast to the East. Keeping close watch, contact, educating, and an open relationship with your children is the best way to prevent meth or any drug use. As far as rednecks - what is your definition of a redneck? - or was someone just given you a little southern hospitality? It is the nursery capital of the world. Yes alot of families own nurseries. It is the way of living here with alot of the factories leaving for Mexico. My family has a toal of 4 nurseries. The nurseries have bulbs, potted, balled, cuttings ect. The land here has excellent soil - maybe that's why it is the nursery capital. The town has grown tremendously in just the last 10 years. More shopping is coming but you can go to the surrounding cities that can range from 45 min. - 1.5 hours. If you want quiet, peaceful living - it's here. It is a small town - so if you plan on coming watch what you say because most of us are "kin folks" and do not take to kind to being called "rednecks".

Old 11-30-2006, 09:42 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
I grew up near McMinnville. The countryside is beautiful with TONS of nurseries.

But the town itself is a dump. It's nothing but junky used car lots and fast food joints. And lots of Mexicans.

The schools are mediocre at best. The state report card for the schools there are mainly B's and C's.

Real estate is cheap there FOR A REASON. If it was a great place to live, more people would want to live there and the real estate would be higher, pure and simple. Supply and demand. If it weren't for the influx of Hispanics the county would be losing population.

You can live in a nicer town with better schools (Manchester, Cookeville) and still be close enough to take advantage of Warren County's abundance of beautiful nurseries.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Lund View Post
Mcminnville is a small town only 13,000 residents. I live a little south of there in Tullahoma which is quite a bigger town then McMinnville. I know there are several outlet stores there as well as many local shops. Many people from that area come to either Tullahoma, Cookeville, or Murfressboro/Nashville to shop. Now there are some decent recreational activities such as several parks,1 community center (the "Civic Center") which offers a large variety of recreational activities. Hope you enjoy it, and it is known as Mc-methville. Meth is really bad in both Mcminville and the Tullahoma/coffee county and Franklin County area
I looked it up at the Tennessee Meth Offender Database, and McMinnville/Warren County is definitely a hotbed of meth. There are 26 listed offenders for Warren County. Coffee County has 19, Franklin County has 2. Franklin County and Warren County have about the same populations, but Warren County has 13 times as many meth offenders.

So I guess the nickname "McMethville" really does fit McMinnville.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-01-2006, 05:02 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
Check McMinnville out against other towns for registered sex offenders Rapist/Child Molesters and see who has the big numbers. I would much rather have a dope head in my town than a child molester any day.
Cookeville is a town that some folk try to make out as the "Little City of Bethlehem" and it's loaded with sex offenders, with many living near by schools.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 PM

You have to be careful what you say. A college town typically has more sex offenders because you have underaged high school kids hanging out (having sex with) college kids.

There's a huge difference between a sex offender who was merely an 18yo duped into having sex with a 15yo and a person who cooks meth in his trailer behind the elementary school.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
Check out the sex offender registry, it gives photo, name, address and the crime they commited. I'm not talking about college towns, I'm talking any town in TN or any town in any state.
No body gets duped into having sex with a minor, you know it's wrong and illegal before you do it..LOL..

www.familywatchdog.us/

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Check McMinnville out against other towns for registered sex offenders Rapist/Child Molesters and see who has the big numbers. I would much rather have a dope head in my town than a child molester any day.
Cookeville is a town that some folk try to make out as the "Little City of Bethlehem" and it's loaded with sex offenders, with many living near by schools.
That's not entirely accurate, Jim280. Putnam County has more sex offenders because it's a bigger county.

Warren County has 39 registered sex offenders, Putnam County has 53. Warren County has 39,000 residents, so that means 1 sex offender for every 1,000 residents. Putnam County has 67,000 residents, so that means 1 sex offender for every 1,260 residents.

Warren County has a higher concentration of sex offenders than Putnam County. Your chances of living near a sex offender are higher in Warren County than they are in Putnam County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee