Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM

230 posts, read 553,368 times

Advertisements

Tennessee To Be the Proud Owner of 1000 Tons of Radioactive German Waste (http://gizmodo.com/5813520/tennessee-to-be-the-proud-owner-of-1000-tons-of-radioactive-german-waste - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Wow. "Proud owner," "tornado-ravaged state of Tennessee." Hyperbole much?

News flash. Oak Ridge stores and/or incinerates uranium. This is not new.

When the company spokesman said, "There's more (radioactive) tritium in the atmosphere from cosmic rays from the sun than what we'd ever emit from there" and was called a super-villain. That's not too biased, is it? Oh, wait. It's Gizmodo. They were recently hyping up a Tennessee law created to draw attention to the lawmaker and not ever going to gain traction or change anything.

Looks like they are the equivalent of The Weekly World News. Too bad. They use to cover tech news but since their "redesign" they have lost a lot of readers.

But seriously, that is what Energy Solutions does. They own nuclear waste landfills in Utah and South Carolina. EnergySolutions has treated low-level radioactive waste, such as X-ray equipment, medical waste or contaminated clothing and mops from nuclear plants for American businesses and the government at Oak Ridge since the facility opened more than 20 years ago.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow. "Proud owner," "tornado-ravaged state of Tennessee." Hyperbole much?

News flash. Oak Ridge stores and/or incinerates uranium. This is not new.

When the company spokesman said, "There's more (radioactive) tritium in the atmosphere from cosmic rays from the sun than what we'd ever emit from there" and was called a super-villain. That's not too biased, is it? Oh, wait. It's Gizmodo. They were recently hyping up a Tennessee law created to draw attention to the lawmaker and not ever going to gain traction or change anything.

Looks like they are the equivalent of The Weekly World News. Too bad. They use to cover tech news but since their "redesign" they have lost a lot of readers.

But seriously, that is what Energy Solutions does. They own nuclear waste landfills in Utah and South Carolina. EnergySolutions has treated low-level radioactive waste, such as X-ray equipment, medical waste or contaminated clothing and mops from nuclear plants for American businesses and the government at Oak Ridge since the facility opened more than 20 years ago.
I just quoted the article. I let them do the editorializing.

Irks me when people link articles and misrepresent the contents with their own spin so I try to copy/paste accurately and let others decide.

And yes, giz's 15mins with the iphone4 leak went to their heads and now it seems they consider themselves "journalists"... (which given the current state of mainstream journalists, I would consider this distinction a downgrade from "blogger".)

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I just quoted the article. I let them do the editorializing.

Irks me when people link articles and misrepresent the contents with their own spin so I try to copy/paste accurately and let others decide.

And yes, giz's 15mins with the iphone4 leak went to their heads and now it seems they consider themselves "journalists"... (which given the current state of mainstream journalists, I would consider this distinction a downgrade from "blogger".)
I agree. I didn't think it was your opinion. But I'm appalled at how low they are now sinking. The other articles on there were just as bad. It looks like they are now at the gossip rag level.

By the way, I'm a journalist. Well, reporter sounds much less pretentious.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I agree. I didn't think it was your opinion. But I'm appalled at how low they are now sinking. The other articles on there were just as bad. It looks like they are now at the gossip rag level.

By the way, I'm a journalist. Well, reporter sounds much less pretentious.
It must drive you bananas reading the drivel nowadays.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It must drive you bananas reading the drivel nowadays.
Yes, it does. Most of it anyway. There are still some real publications with excellent writers but the business is not the same as it was 20, even 15, years ago. Writers use to be very well paid but Big Business took over most news outlets and competition was sliced due to deregulation and cutbacks. And this was long before the internet. We could see this stuff coming down the pike in the mid-80s.

Now writers are a dime a dozen. Anyone with internet access is a writer and an expert. And the line between fact and fiction has mostly disappeared and sensationalism reigns supreme. People get most of their news and history from propaganda, shock jocks, urban legend e-mails and conspiracy theory websites.

To get this back on track, yes Oak Ridge stores uranium. As I've said in other threads, that sort of stuff can freak you out. I know it scared the you-know-what out of me. But unfortunately there is no place safe in this country. We have done a thorough job of raping and pillaging the land. But right now terrorists may be plotting to wreak biochemical havoc on Iowa, for all we know.

But to be honest I think it is less of a hazard sitting in Oak Ridge than it is while being transported. That's a bit scary but once again, nothing can be done about it.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. Most of it anyway. There are still some real publications with excellent writers but the business is not the same as it was 20, even 15, years ago. Writers use to be very well paid but Big Business took over most news outlets and competition was sliced due to deregulation and cutbacks. And this was long before the internet. We could see this stuff coming down the pike in the mid-80s.

Now writers are a dime a dozen. Anyone with internet access is a writer and an expert. And the line between fact and fiction has mostly disappeared and sensationalism reigns supreme. People get most of their news and history from propaganda, shock jocks, urban legend e-mails and conspiracy theory websites.

To get this back on track, yes Oak Ridge stores uranium. As I've said in other threads, that sort of stuff can freak you out. I know it scared the you-know-what out of me. But unfortunately there is no place safe in this country. We have done a thorough job of raping and pillaging the land. But right now terrorists may be plotting to wreak biochemical havoc on Iowa, for all we know.

But to be honest I think it is less of a hazard sitting in Oak Ridge than it is while being transported. That's a bit scary but once again, nothing can be done about it.
Seeing as this is my thread, I believe I'm ok to derail it a bit. I'm interested in your comment about deregulation hindering competition. Generally speaking, deregulation has the exact opposite on real competition.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Seeing as this is my thread, I believe I'm ok to derail it a bit. I'm interested in your comment about deregulation hindering competition. Generally speaking, deregulation has the exact opposite on real competition.
Actually, in this instance I was referring to monopolies taking over an area's news organizations. Previously, competition was encouraged. I believe Rupert Murdoch really started that ball rolling. But this has nothing to do with Tennessee and your thread or not it can get sent off to some part of city-data that I prefer not to participate.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Hope I didn't offend you. Genuinely curious sans judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: