Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 14,813 times

Advertisements

I've already spent $4200 on property surveys. Yes, more than one. They had to come out 5 times and each time I had to pay for it, they were there at my request. I spent another $10k to purchase an acre behind me to give me a buffer from them. That hasn't worked. They are putting up a fence, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, they are now taking their time. I am now looking for an attorney. But hey, guess what? The first one I called asked for some details, over the phone, I gave him an outline, we set an appointment for the next day. Then, I decided to ask the question I should have asked first, "...are you related to the ********'s?" His answer (can you guess?), "Oh, I already represent them, I can't help you." Click. Great. That is the normal occurrence with these neighbors. No matter what they do, I get shafted. On a brighter note, at 8:30 this morning, someone came from the sheriff's department environmental unit, took pictures, and went next door to speak with them. I am not holding out any hope this will work out in my favor, but I am trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 14,813 times
Yep. I was right. "Sorry, nothing I can do."

Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
I have never know the police to get involved with a neighborly dispute until it became violent. I am not giving legal advice either, you need to speak to an attorney, but I have seen this sort of dispute settled in small claims court where the injured party paid for the remediation, with good documentation including photos and a survey report, and the court ordered payment by the other neighbor. Unfortunately that is not going to help promote harmony. It's also been my observation that in this kind of case the same sort of problems will continue until one of you moves.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 AM

107 posts, read 300,849 times
I am not saying this to be funny, but some folks have serious mental health issues. Often the police will get involved with complaints of threatening or trespassing, but usually they would rather direct neighbor issues toward civil court. The reason is that criminal cases are typically hard to prove with all of the "he said/she said" dust that gets kicked up. I have found (in my line of work) that when I run into situations like this there is no easy or fast fix.

When somebody displays really unusual behavior (aggressive or paranoid) I start considering impaired mental status either due to illegal drug abuse or other issues. Contact with these people may become violent very quickly. Remember, they are not seeing the situation from a rational point of view. If they initiate any contact with you I would suggest having someone else with you if possible. If you are outside alone, retreat into your house and call 911. Stay on the line with the dispatcher. If the neighbor really "goes off" sometimes it can be heard (and therefore recorded) by the 911 operator. Also, it is always a good idea to discretely video record any situation so that if it does end up in court (either civil or ciminal) there is a true, unbaised rendition of what happened. Please be very careful when you are dealing with these folks.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
I just want to say one thing. The cameras are bird cams so they can watch the birds without scaring them. I see them advertised in my bird magazines all of the time. Some of them are motion activated.

https://www.wingscapes.com/audubonbi...31&att=1000631

Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,409,606 times
I really feel for you. Some people can never be happy.

It sounds like you really need to talk to an attorney...and possibly look into restraining order.

How big is your property? You might be better off going by the survey and putting up your own fence to keep the neighbors out...and then burn the brush they put on your land.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM

364 posts, read 1,113,330 times
Where does this all stem from? So very odd.

Wow every time I vow never to own a house with an HOA, I hear something like this. Sure people are going to say HOA's are worse but I would rather have restrictions so everyone can live together than live with this nonsense.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM

575 posts, read 3,695,375 times
Try installing sails. They are very chic and come in multiple colors, sizes and shapes... your neighbors will not be able to circumvent a blind like this by playing musical camera NO VIEW!

I personally use 4 sails in a variety of colors. People stop on my street when I'm outside to tell me how aesthetic they look and ask about them.

Just search for patio sails.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
I feel so bad for your situation. Unfortunately in small town/rural area neighbor disputes like this get ugly and end badly for the new party usually. As you have seen, the local authorities are not much help...why?...because they are probably friends/relatives of the creepy neighbor. In my own rural county stuff like this goes on all the time, and because of the "good ole' boy network" in place in this county, the victim ends up having to foot the bill, and even as Pam and Bill remarked, actually having to move to get away from the mentally unbalanced neighbor. I'm sorry, and I hope things improve, but please understand that this is a situation that could become dangerous. Record the names, dates, times of all your contacts with law enforcement and your other contacts with local gov't officials. You may need this info, you will probably need to contact someone in higher authority than your local sheriff, (I don't know who, unfortunately) because it seems they are either clueless or relatives/friends of your weird neighbor.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
I wouldn't be quick to blame the cops. It's a civil matter. Period.

If someone comes over with a loaded shotgun pointed at your face, then you can get the cops involved. Until then, they have other things to deal with, like real crime. They are not mediators or babysitters. They get into the middle of that and the next thing you know, they're getting sued.

For instance, you say they are dumping on your land. Says who? They are not land surveyors. You say they sprayed herbicide on your property. Once again, says who? Maybe you did it, for all they know.

Take pictures then go down to your local courthouse and file a civil lawsuit. If you feel unqualified to do that, then consult an attorney. This is a public forum where the information you get is going to be iffy at best.

Ultimately, yes, people usually end up moving in situations like this. The overreaction to what I feel was excellent and gentle advice speaks volumes.

The cops are "good ole boys" and probably related to the neighbor? Really? Based on the info that this person has given?

There are three sides to every story, yours, theirs and the truth. We are only hearing one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee