Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 14,806 times

Advertisements

We purchased our home 3 years ago, in the Montgomery County. There are 4 homes on our cul-de-sac. The only home close to ours had a 6 foot chain link fence enclosing their backyard. This neighbor also had and still has, horses, dogs, ducks, turkeys, chickens, and peacocks. We have no issue with the livestock. Our issue arises from the fact that this same neighbor decided to move their existing fence 9 feet closer to our home, but 1-14 inches from the property line thereby denying us the ability to install a fence that would butt up to theirs. That was fine as we have no desire to fence our yard. Their new fence varies from 6-10 feet in height, begins 15 feet from the road, extends back to their horse corral, and ends with two sections merely leaning up against a single line rope fence enclosing the balance of their backyard. They have posted "NO TRESPASSING" signs on the fence between their home and ours. There are no other signs on the fence. The only ones are on the fence between our properties. Instead of mowing or weed eating the 1-14 inches of property they chose to not fence in, they use an herbicide, liberally. They have killed not only their grass, but anywhere from 6-24 inches of my grass. Now I have an unsightly brown strip of dead grass running from the street all the way to the treeline in the backyard. These same neighbors have installed surveillance cameras in birdhouses and have them directed at my home rather than down the fence line. While we were on vacation, they cleared a portion of their back property of trees and brush by pushing it onto our property. I have been searching through the Tennessee government website looking for any information regarding fence placement and posting of NO TRESPASSING signs on a fence. I have had zero luck. I don't know where to start looking and my searches return results that have nothing to do with what I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by neighbor of the beast; 07-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: misspelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 03:17 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Neighbor issues never get better until you move. Have you tried talking face to face with your neighbor? I'm sure you have. I fail to see why posted no trespassing signs bug you? It was probably done to annoy you and you are letting it do the trick famously.
It would seem from what you posted that you are frustrated right now regarding this neighbor.....letting the matter upset you and consume you is not good. If they haven't done a thing with the fences where they aren't on their property, then I fail to see what the issue is besides a personal dislike of the neighbor. You don't need a web site, you need a real estate agent.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
First you need to check with your county building and or zoning department and see if there is a requirement for fence placement on property lines.

Try calling here on Monday:

Search Results | Montgomery County Government

Have you tried talking to your neighbors about your concerns? How long is the portion where your land meets their land? I would ask them not to spray and offer to weed eat it instead...as long as it wasn't for miles.

I would also be thrilled if any of my surrounding neighbors put up a fence. What a big savings for me. Then I would offer to pay for some of it as long as it was new fence.

Next if the fence is on their property and the signs are are their fence there is nothing you can do about it.

As for the cameras, I don't think there is much you can do. You can check with the police department on that one.

Now the brush and trees I would have a problem with. Talk to your neighbors about it.

Good luck. I know what it's like having a neighbor from He**

Old 07-31-2011, 01:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Your neighbor has destroyed your property - killing your grass along the line. While he does have the right to use herbicide on his side of the property line, if it destroys what's on your side, that is destruction of property.

To find out what laws there are governing the location of the fence, try your local town/city hall for zoning statutes or regulations. You can ask the town clerk to steer you in the right direction.

As for the cameras, I would simply install something that blocks the cameras' views - keeping whatever you decide to use on your own property. Put in a stick with a wooden flag wherever the cameras are aimed. Taking a pic of a piece of wood is going to have them aiming their cameras elsewhere within a few days.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Have you tried talking to them? Have you all ever spoken since you have moved in? I just don't know why they would do this. Did the previous owners of your house have a feud going with them?

When we moved into our city house we were warned that the neighbors were awful and that they had cameras, etc. I was a little scared of them, Turns out they have been the best neighbors ever. Granted, we approached them very carefully and with a lot of friendliness. They told us about how they had been hurt by others before. Told us about some of the previous problems. From what I gather there were problems on all sides. They still have the cameras, (not sure where they are pointed) but the trees we planted when we first moved in have really grown and obscured any views of our property.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Thank you for all the responses. Pam & Bill, selling my house is an unreasonable response to the issue. The issue does not "consume" me at all, I am merely asking for some guidance regarding the fence, posted signs, and over zealous use of herbicide. I gave background on the issue in order to give a clearer picture of why I need guidance. Personally, I love that fence, it is the most beautiful fence in the state. What I don't love is that they use it as an irritant. I would like to minimize said irritant as much as possible. Unfortunately, speaking with them is out of the question, the last time I attempted to do so, the husband proceeded to curse me, insult me, and called 911. I have placed very unobtrusive signs down the dead zone stating, "No Herbicide." As for paying for a portion of the fence, no I will not do that. The fence is not on the property line, therefore it is not a shared fence. There is nothing I can do about the cameras, per law enforcement I need to "just keep my curtains closed." I have tried blocking the cameras, unfortunately they just move them. This neighbor has a dispute with everyone, we are all unbalanced and out to get them. Since my post I have decided to plant running bamboo from the front to the back of my property. I had the trenches dug and lined over the weekend, unfortunately (again), the neighbors had to come out and harass those digging the trenches, but the bamboo has been planted. Now I just have to hold on to my sanity until it is big enough to afford us privacy. Thank you everyone for your responses, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Okay. New twist to same issue. I discovered yesterday that these neighbors had cleared a portion of their property (behind their barn) of trees and general debris found in a wooded area. That's fine, it is their property, the problem is they bulldozed it onto my property. It is very obvious what they did, they made no effort to hide anything. I have a massive pile of dead fall, trees, and brush on my property, just over the property line which they marked by placing poles and stringing a single line of rope onto. I am not sure when they did it, sometime in the last few weeks. I went out to take pictures today. They called the sheriff and stated I was trespassing on their property. I was not. I was standing on the public right of way, which apparently extends about 10 feet inside of their fence. I was no where near their fence. I waited for the deputy to come to my house and calmly stated my case. I explained where I was and why I was there. His reply was, "...you knew when you went over there that it would cause a problem, so you shouldn't have gone." He flatly told me that what they did was something I would have to hire a lawyer for. Really? Is this true? They dump onto my land and I have to hire an attorney to get them to remove it? Someone please tell me that is not correct.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Mod Note: We are unable to give out any legal advice on this forum. We can only offer opinions. OP: Please let me know if you want this moved to our Legal section.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Gawd I feel for you. I had the same type of neighbor, every weekend she "blew" her junk into our yard. But she topped herself when she placed a SECOND mailbox out in front of her house. Would you believe there's no law against that? So she ended up with a lot of our mail, cause we had sub's at least 3 times a week. She even admitted she took our mail, but explained it was just junk and she helped us by throwing it out.

We moved last Sept., so our hell is over, but it was a rough 4 yrs & the police were called often. Oh, she even went up & down the street picking up huge palm leaves & put them in our driveway. Imo, you cant fight a crazy neighbor unless you spend a ton of money & have a attorney. Good luck, and I hate to say it, but you'll need it.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighbor of the beast View Post
Okay. New twist to same issue. I discovered yesterday that these neighbors had cleared a portion of their property (behind their barn) of trees and general debris found in a wooded area. That's fine, it is their property, the problem is they bulldozed it onto my property. It is very obvious what they did, they made no effort to hide anything. I have a massive pile of dead fall, trees, and brush on my property, just over the property line which they marked by placing poles and stringing a single line of rope onto. I am not sure when they did it, sometime in the last few weeks. I went out to take pictures today. They called the sheriff and stated I was trespassing on their property. I was not. I was standing on the public right of way, which apparently extends about 10 feet inside of their fence. I was no where near their fence. I waited for the deputy to come to my house and calmly stated my case. I explained where I was and why I was there. His reply was, "...you knew when you went over there that it would cause a problem, so you shouldn't have gone." He flatly told me that what they did was something I would have to hire a lawyer for. Really? Is this true? They dump onto my land and I have to hire an attorney to get them to remove it? Someone please tell me that is not correct.

I think it is a loosing battle. Unfortunately you will have to get an attorney and perhaps have the line surveyed. When I lived in town my two neighbors had a battle over a fence and property line. It got pretty ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee