Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

49 posts, read 76,580 times

Advertisements

My expeience is Eastern NC Eastern Tn outside Atlanta,Ga, Baltimore ,MD and Phoenix,Az and never use anything but Advantage! Vet sold me Advantix one, di not tell me was different, pug had terrible reaction to flea bites! Did not work. TOld vet I wanted money back and not paying $200 plyus bill to get pug over the bites ! He agreed cause his staff told me was same !After that he told me all info cause I not trust his staff!

As for ticks my pug never gets bit! i havebut he does not,cause as soon as he goes outside(as often as he wishes, he gets feet wash and I rub him all over,so if any ticks, walking on him I get em fast! And yep kill em all! Also treat the yard 2-3 times a year with red bag of stuff from walmart!Starts with a d can not remember name, got pics of lots of ugly crawlers/biters! Been using since pug was baby.Does not hurt him but I do not let him likck it either.Squirrels like it,lol they come roll in it! Ok by me less fleas on squirrels and stuff less in yard!
Good luck with pups.Some vets will sell 1 tube of stuff at a time,so not got to by 3 or 6 monthes at a time!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
so im battling fleas right now...
my female crestie had the odd 1 or 2 before we left CT after a bought with frontline plus...
then my am-bulldog mi pup came with masses of them...

i used Pet Armor plus (friponil) and it simply hasnt done ANYTHING for the fleas, at first i thought they were simply new fleas jumping and theyll die once they bite/been on the dog for a while, but ill see the fleas still running round after a few hours so im calling it useless...

now obvisouly given im having such an issue with generic frontline (and frontline is useless where im fron as well) im exploring other options...

i have 2:

k9 Advantix
Advantage II

ive had good luck with advantix in the past, the groomer i was talking to at petsmart says shes had good luck with advantix, and its good against ticks too....

advantage ive never used before on the dogs, but hear goof things...however it offers no tick protection...

so western tn dog people...what do you use?!
my female crestie and the puppy are both showing signs of flea allergies, the fleas arnt even attempting to bother with my hairless male lol...
im also sensitive to flea bites.

i am adding brwers yeast and garlic to their meals (and mine lol) and have dusted with DE, but i need to get the topical situation under control if im going to truly get this fixed (no point in flea bombing the house untill i have a topical thats working cause theyll just keep bringing them in...
Pet Armor is a joke, I have 6 cats and it didn't do a thing for getting rid of fleas. I am considering comfortis for my cats. We use it on our dog, it's amazing how well it works.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,054,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lolabird View Post
Pet Armor is a joke, I have 6 cats and it didn't do a thing for getting rid of fleas. I am considering comfortis for my cats. We use it on our dog, it's amazing how well it works.

Do the it the natural way...

As written in an excellent, 1997 article by Wendy Volhard:
"...If your dog has itchy skin, the beginnings of a hot spot, incessantly washes its feet, has smelly ears, or is picky about his food, the application of ACV may change things around. For poor appetite, use it in the food - 1 tablespoon, two times a day for a 50 lb. dog. For itchy skin or beginning hot spots, put ACV into a spray bottle, part the hair and spray on. Any skin eruption will dry up in 24 hours and will save you having to shave the dog. If the skin is already broken, dilute ACV with an equal amount of water and spray on.
Taken internally, ACV is credited with maintaining the acid/alkaline balance of the digestive tract. To check your dog's pH balance, pick up some pH strips at the drug store, and first thing in the morning test the dog's urine. If it reads anywhere from 6.2 - 6.5, your dog's system is exactly where it should be. If it is 7.5 or higher, the diet you are feeding is too alkaline, and ACV will re-establish the correct balance.
If you have a dog that has clear, watery discharge from the eyes, a runny nose, or coughs with a liquid sound, use ACV in his or her food. One teaspoon twice a day for a 50 lb. dog will do the job.
After your weekly grooming sessions, use a few drops in his or her ears after cleaning them to avoid ear infections. Other uses for ACV are the prevention of muscle weakness, cramps, feeling the cold, calluses on elbows and hock joints, constipation, bruising too easily, pimples on skin surfaces, twitching of facial muscles, sore joints, arthritis and pus in the urine. There are also reports that it is useful in the prevention of bladder and kidney stones.

Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay!"

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
i do ACV in their water every day, always have and the fleas still were giving us issues, using it as a rinse was only usefull for about 2 hours (and seriously agrivated my hairless males skin)
Super fleas i think...
we did advantage (i wanted advantix but cant because my dogs and cats are close and snuggle and advantix is dangerous for cats)
the advantage is working BUT i have to reapply every 3 1/2 weeks rather than every 4.
one of my dogs had a reaction to confortis and triflexis so those are both no gos.

i hate doing chemicals, but seeing mylittle girl suffer form a flea allergy and my 6mth old chewing himself raw was too much to justlet it keep going on.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,495,648 times
Quote:
i do ACV in their water every day, always have and the fleas still were giving us issues, using it as a rinse was only usefull for about 2 hours (and seriously agrivated my hairless males skin)
Super fleas i think...
we did advantage (i wanted advantix but cant because my dogs and cats are close and snuggle and advantix is dangerous for cats)
the advantage is working BUT i have to reapply every 3 1/2 weeks rather than every 4.
one of my dogs had a reaction to confortis and triflexis so those are both no gos.

i hate doing chemicals, but seeing mylittle girl suffer form a flea allergy and my 6mth old chewing himself raw was too much to justlet it keep going on.
Hi sweetie. Although I am mad at you for not contacting me so I could take you out for lunch, I will take the time to tell you that you MUST treat your yard. For fleas AND ticks. Personally I would just get rid of the dogs and spare the expense. Welcome to West Tennessee!! You heartbreaker you!!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,495,648 times
PS-------As we have had virtually no freezes this winter,you can expect a particularly BAD spring/summer of bugs. All the flying/crawling/biting/slithering ones you can think of! Welcome to Finger. Horsefly Capital of the World!! Oh yea! Have ya learned to say "Fanger" yet?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Super fleas i think...

Hmm...

Did you let the ACV dry on their coat? Also, you can try borax on your floors. Borax will puncture any eggs it comes in contact with, thus killing them.

Yea the hairless dog might have some issues. Maybe use a little less on him, but, if it's working for a few hours, keep a spray bottle around and mist them occasionally.

Is the ACV organic? If it's not it will not work.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
100% organic, best of the best without making your own (brags brand)
vinegar is after all ACID, a mild acid but it is an acid, its not meant to sit on the skin, as a rinse its great, but leaving it sat on skin or dogs coats is NOT good for the skin, its like whiping yourself with a mil bleach solution every morning, its not going to be a problem at first but eventualy...your skins going to let you know its not happy.

Capt'Dan, glad to see you around, i did send youa couple messages but didnt hear anythign back, i was worried bout you, sorry you didnt get them messages

fleas seem to be under control with the advantage as long as i keep ontop of it.
Ive been sprinkling DE along the fencelines and in their beds too to help kill any that are not yet in the dogs play area...

and ill be getting guinnea hens once i get some fencing around this place lol, theyll take care of the ticks and fleas but thatll be a while yet gotta get TO the property line to put fencing around it LOL.
everywheres having the same issue, CT is tick an flea central on a good year even with the col, but this year they havent had any good col spell either. im seeing news of hoards of hornets and spiders and all kinds of things.

i just need lots of bats, plenty of snakes, some guinneas, chickens and muscovy ducks and i SHOULD be able to get the bug problem uner control lol

Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
100% organic, best of the best without making your own (brags brand)
vinegar is after all ACID, a mild acid but it is an acid, its not meant to sit on the skin, as a rinse its great, but leaving it sat on skin or dogs coats is NOT good for the skin, its like whiping yourself with a mil bleach solution every morning, its not going to be a problem at first but eventualy...your skins going to let you know its not happy.

Hi Foxy,

I understand it's an acid, but it also acts as an alkaline which is why it helps with things such as acid reflux.

I have been giving my 10 yr old dog ACV for several years (Braggs). I have been able to get her off both heart worm medicine and flea and tick applications. I have done this with ACV both internally and externally. I do put some her coat, diluted of course, and I let it dry on her. I understand your apprehension, but it does work.

ACV applied to the skin will get rid of things such as poison ivy. Last weekend while cutting back some bushes, I had gotten poison oak from these bushes several times. I had a bucket with water, ACV, hydrogen peroxide, and a bit of soap. I washed my hands and arms every ten minutes or so with this liquid. My skin wasn't iratated at all. Moreso, during the spring and fall, I put ACV in our kids bath. One is 4 and the other is 18 mos. They do not get any type of irritation from this. But I only add a small amount to the water, that's all you need. If it irritates, it's way to much. I do put it on my sons, the 4 yr old, mosquito's bites rather than chemicals from the stores.. This does burn a bit but blowing on it eases the pain a bit, but he doesn't mind it too much.

I hope you find something that works. The fleas can be hell. But, one thing I did do to my dog before the ACV was use conditioner. I would give her a bath and remove the fleas, then apply a very liberal amount of conditioner. This would make the skin oily and tough for the fleas to stick to the body or hair. Although I have heard this can change a dogs ph level, I did not do frequently.

I found this post on a site...

06/13/2011: Toqueenelisabeth from Columbia, Sc replies: "Crazy fact! I had heard of and began to utilize the benefits of old school uses with hydrogen peroxide. However, we always use Frontline for our critters. Never had I considered something as simple as ACV for treatment.
Flees and insects thrive in our hot/humid climate as well as allergies. In SC you can treat your pets but they always pick up insects from the outdoors and Frontline is/has been the only effective solution. Unfortunately and to my understanding the insect must get on your pet in order to kill it, thus ending life cycles. Plus if the neighbor does not effectively treat, the problem still surrounds your pet.
After making a comment to a friend about how bad flees seemed this year she said "ACV. " ……Seriously?!
Within a week of occasional use by 50/50 spray on the pets I have seen no indication of flees or itchiness. Makes perfect sense to deter flees from the animal altogether. Right?Our critters may not like the smell or taste but it is a small price "literally" to pay. Once again, thank you Old School! "

Good luck to you...

Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Where did you buy property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee