Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times

Advertisements

so im battling fleas right now...
my female crestie had the odd 1 or 2 before we left CT after a bought with frontline plus...
then my am-bulldog mi pup came with masses of them...

i used Pet Armor plus (friponil) and it simply hasnt done ANYTHING for the fleas, at first i thought they were simply new fleas jumping and theyll die once they bite/been on the dog for a while, but ill see the fleas still running round after a few hours so im calling it useless...

now obvisouly given im having such an issue with generic frontline (and frontline is useless where im fron as well) im exploring other options...

i have 2:

k9 Advantix
Advantage II

ive had good luck with advantix in the past, the groomer i was talking to at petsmart says shes had good luck with advantix, and its good against ticks too....

advantage ive never used before on the dogs, but hear goof things...however it offers no tick protection...

so western tn dog people...what do you use?!
my female crestie and the puppy are both showing signs of flea allergies, the fleas arnt even attempting to bother with my hairless male lol...
im also sensitive to flea bites.

i am adding brwers yeast and garlic to their meals (and mine lol) and have dusted with DE, but i need to get the topical situation under control if im going to truly get this fixed (no point in flea bombing the house untill i have a topical thats working cause theyll just keep bringing them in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
We use Advantix; it works great! It works against ticks too. I apply it down her back, and she really doesn't have any problems.

I don't know what your yard is like compared to ours, but our dog is inside about 50% of the time and we have a little more than an acre. If your dogs are having that bad of a problem, you may want to have a lawn company come out and do a flea and tick treatment. Fleas should have died down by now! Poor doggies

Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I'm following foxy knowing that what works for her should work for me. Foxy, if the Advantix doesn't work, ask the Capt. With all his large family, he should have someone with dogs/cats. He's just over the river from me, so it's still the same general area.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM

thanks wmsn, gonna try the advantix *fingers crossed*
I think its a case of they got in the house via the dogs and now, because the friponil isnt working the fleas are thriving because they can just continue jumping on the dogs to feed and reproduce...
right now the dogs have a 20x20 area + a carport for potty acess, but my property is 4 1/2 acres and mostly wooded (open around the fenced area) i plan to spray the fenced area once the warmer weather comes in) and will be running chickens and guinneas to help...but there in the house now and while the dogs are not protected topically the fleas can just continue to reproduce.

if the advantix works ill be flea bombing the entire house to make sure were completly flea free indoors too.
the dogs are inside dogs, they go out for potty breaks and walks and playtime but only supervised lol...
unfortunatly though the puppy came CRAWLING (visually you could see his fur moving from all of them) with fleas, he was borderline anemic, and too young for topicals at the time (he was only about 4 1/2 weeks old)
Dawn took care of most of them on him but you know how fleas are and if even one escaped that inital treatment (obvisouly it did lol) there in the house.
i HATE fleas lol

Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
Foxywench, we use Frontline Plus here in middle TN and it works great just in case you want to try it again.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 AM

the problem with the frontline plus is the pet armor is the exact same active ingredients, so while i was expecting to see some difference in amount of time it took to clear/keep the fleas off, i wasnt expecting it to simply not work at all...

i think im going to adoive frontline for now...i cant afford to buy another 3 months of it just to find that it doesnt work any better than its generic versions.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
I heard Pet Armor was giving some pets reactions and was not identicle. When you google in the two, you will find people saying their pets got ill on Pet Armor.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 AM

the active ingredients are identical, the inactive ingredients arn't, but those dont play any part in how well the product kills fleas just how effectivly it spreads over the entire body.
its very possible for pets to have a reaction to it...many do and have on frontline too...but being this is a new product you hear more about it now.

im definatly not "bashing" frontline, if it works for you thats great, but im seeing more and more people having to switch even from town to town and friponil (the active ingredient in frontline based and its generics) aparently isnt doing much good in this area.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
i nearly lost my persian about three years ago, after he was in a house that had fleas in the carpet, supposedly getting in through the small space under the sliding glass doors. the himy in the house had fleas, and that exposed my kitten to fleas. he only had one or two, but i used the small vial that breaks and you put one drop on the nape of the neck. well, he ended up at the vet hopital three days later, suffering w/ a reaction that was life threatening. he had to have blood work, urine, and cortizone shots. he had to be washed and dried, and given and iv infusion. the dr told me that he had experienced several complaints w/ other animals, especially small dogs and persian cats. he wrote a letter to the manufacturer, which stated that he thought the dosage and absorption was incorrect, according to the lbs per drop for the animal chart provided.

so, i would never use that product again. the himy was much larger, and he became ill for about 2 weeks, but the reaction wasn't as bad as the one my cat experienced. i use nothing on my cats, because i never allow them outside. just be careful w/ the application of this formula.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM

yeah thers some topidcals on the market that are down right scary, many pets have died from the hartz brand products...
and even the "good stuff" can cause reactions in some pets (just like some people are sensitive/allergic to certain things)

i ended up ordering the Advantage, wont cover for ticks but got good reveiws for fleas and so far so good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee