Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM

74 posts, read 220,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMist View Post
Good morning! We plan to retire to TN from NJ in two years (give or take a few months either way) and are interested in the Townsend area. I did a forum search but didn't find any threads on Townsend. Maybe locals can help me with info or steer me to it? Our kids are grown so "how are the schools?" is not a concern. Hubby is a journeyman but since he'll be retired finding steady work isn't crucial (maybe occasionally just to keep him sane). How easy is it to make the trip up and down the mountains to and from Townsend to the nearest large shopping area (Maryville?)? Would daily trips (for whatever reason) be a snap or reserved for every week, two weeks, etc.?

I've searched myriad real estate sites and prices for a 3 br. house with 1-2 two acres seem fairly reasonable, though moreso in Walland than Townsend. I've been to the Townsend COC site and they employ two full time police officers so I'm guessing it's pretty crime free. There was reference to fire protection subscription, but none to garbage collection, recycling, etc. A modern hospital and library are in Maryville.

If there are Townsend residents in the forum, may I ask for indepth insights into the Townsend area - pros and cons?

Many thanks in advance and have a great day!
my husband and I are moving to Tennessee soon as well. We went through Townsend a couple times, thought it was absolutely breathtaking. Good luck to you, hope you find exactly what you are looking for. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,503 times
Default Townsend Stores?

Terrier07,
We live in South Knoxville and hope to be moving to Townsend in a few years. Our weekends are usually spent in Townsend either driving, hiking, Grilling at any one of the numerous camp sites, or me fly fishing.
A lot of the stores in Townsend are under strict guidlines to visual curb appeal to keep the natural look which I appreciate. Also there are some investors buying a lot of the land in town and around to preserve it from becoming another Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.
Many of the stores down there now except for the grocery, bank, gas, and some food stores are very seasonal. Tourist Season is what keeps that town a float. If you don't have a store that people need in the off season then it won't last. Many people are good old timers that have lived their many years, or are retired and enjoy cooking at home.
I highly recommend everyone visiting Townsend. It is a fantastic place to visit and live. They have a Fall Festival that is held in town that provides a lot of local crafts, FOOD, and music.
The fly fishing is world class year round. It will be our home soon, and I can't wait.
If anyone has any other questions about the area please ask. There is another subdivision that I did a kitchen in a few years ago, but I can't remember the name. It is very secluded and not too far from Heritage High School. I will look back in my customers file to see what the name is and try to post it.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishjeep View Post
There is another subdivision that I did a kitchen in a few years ago, but I can't remember the name. It is very secluded and not too far from Heritage High School. I will look back in my customers file to see what the name is and try to post it.
How is the remodeling business there (E. TN)? Do you work on your own or for someone? Have you been there long?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,546 times
Default Fly Fishing Question - Townsend

I am taking my family up to Gatlinburg later this month, and I wanted to try fly fishing in some of the streams I pass on the way up. I know that as you get through Townsend and get into the park there are some streams that if I remember correctly looked nice for fishing.

Anyone want to send me a private message with their secret fly fishing spot close to townsend?

Thanks!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Never been fly fishing...nor to Townsend, but enjoy!! I hear it's just beautiful there...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM

340 posts, read 1,189,052 times
Responded to an older post. Didn't realize this was from last year. :-D

Old 07-04-2008, 01:40 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
bbkaren is right on. While Townsend is beautiful, not many people actually live there. It calls itself "the quiet side of the Smokies" because it's the back entrance to the national park. As Gatlinburg gets more and more crowded, Townsend is becoming more and more popular with tourists. It's got several motels and campgrounds and lots of cabin rentals.

However, if you do live there, the drive into Maryville is pretty easy, although I wouldn't want to do it every day.
The drive through Townsend to get to the Smokies is a WHOLE lot shorter than going through Knoxville, the city of eternal road construction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee