Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

I know how you guys feel about Florida, I was born and raised here in northern Florida. It is terrible how people are ripping the newcomers off . Land is so high , and gas is just now coming down to 2.69 a gallon. I am Tenn. bound looking for a nice area to live out my remaining life with my husband. My telephone and internet in 125.00 month, insurance isnt that high 500.00 a yr. taxes little over 300. but ELECTRIC is a big RIP OFF. good luck to all of you and see you in tennesseeeeeeeeeeeeee .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 09:55 AM

105 posts, read 270,554 times
Howdy. So you're a 1951 model? My mom is a 1950 Southernlady. They don't make 'em like they used to!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 25,499 times
Well.... I'm in the same boat.... born, raised and live in Central Florida... Orlando area, and am moving to Dunlap next May. You may like to check it out on the web...

Old 10-24-2006, 06:07 AM

6 posts, read 26,835 times
Default Dunlap Tn.

Hi , I understand that you moved to this area. We are thinking into doing the same. I was born and raised in Florida in 1946. But we are looking to retire. What can you tell me about Dunlap and the surrounding area. Thanks in advance.

Danny Darlene

Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 AM

130 posts, read 475,139 times
check out a town called Spencer. you will find a place called Hawks Bluff, and they will bring you out all expenses paid. if you would like to check out the area, let me know and i will put you in touch with a great guy. we bought in Hawks Bluff about 3 years ago before all of the Floridians started flocking there, and we cant wait to move full time. it is 8 miles from Fall Creek Falls State Park (most traveled TN State Park) lot of waterfalls, really beautiful. area is growing..
Danny Darlene, let me know if you are interested in checking out Hawks Bluff, and i will give you Paul's direct #.
Mary

Old 10-24-2006, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,725 times
Default Tennessee is now my home

Hi there,
I too was born and raised in Orlando, Florida. I moved up here to northeastern TN in 2002. It has been four years now and I love it up here. The mountains are gorgeous. Lower electric bills, cheaper car insurance, and less traffic are some of the many reasons to live here. We have a moderate climate with perfect summers. I love the seasons, something I never really had in Florida.

Check out Unicoi County's homepage on my profile and the photos and stats of my hometown of Erwin, TN. Erwin is a small Mayberry like town. Close to Johnson City and one hour north of Asheville NC.

Bren

Old 10-25-2006, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,594 times
Default Leaving Florida

I was not born in Florida, but I have lived here in Port Orange for 17 years, and Kissimmee for 10.. When I moved to Port Orange, the taxes on my home was $700. It is now $1990. Central air runs about $200 a month in summer, (sometimes more)and never less then $150 in the winter. (My home is 1750sf) My car insurance is $650, house insurance just went up to $950..I live in a nice area, but Volusia county must think there streets are paved with gold. It seems like they never stop building here.. They cut down hundreds of acres to build more sub-divisions. Our poor wild life here is dieing off... A few months ago a black bear was spotted on beachside. The only way to get to beachside is to cross many bridges to get there. We see this in all our neighborhoods.. Nothing but condos here now, higher cost of living, and it is getting worst...I visited Tennessee 3 times this year, and found that this is the place to retire. I fell in love with the Tri-City area. My house is for sale, and as soon as it's sold, I'm out of here.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay148 View Post
I was not born in Florida, but I have lived here in Port Orange for 17 years, and Kissimmee for 10.. When I moved to Port Orange, the taxes on my home was $700. It is now $1990. Central air runs about $200 a month in summer, (sometimes more)and never less then $150 in the winter. (My home is 1750sf) My car insurance is $650, house insurance just went up to $950..I live in a nice area, but Volusia county must think there streets are paved with gold. It seems like they never stop building here.. They cut down hundreds of acres to build more sub-divisions. Our poor wild life here is dieing off... A few months ago a black bear was spotted on beachside. The only way to get to beachside is to cross many bridges to get there. We see this in all our neighborhoods.. Nothing but condos here now, higher cost of living, and it is getting worst...I visited Tennessee 3 times this year, and found that this is the place to retire. I fell in love with the Tri-City area. My house is for sale, and as soon as it's sold, I'm out of here.
Well in advance...Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 AM

18 posts, read 64,210 times
Hi everyone,

I also live in Florida and we are hoping to move the TN in approx. 3 years. It seems so long off, but that is the earliest that we can go. Husband will retire then. Jay148. consider yourself lucky right now. My homeowners ins. went from $650 two years ago to $2,600. this past year. Our elec. bill is never under $250. a months and auto ins. is also climbing. Florida is out of control!! Soon you will have to be a millionaire to live here. I have friends that moved to SC and like it there however are thinking of moving to TN also. They said now that they have left FL, they could not afford to move back even if they wanted. Good luck to all of us! I hate to push by the years, but I can't wait to move. I will be up in NE are of TN next June for vacation.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,594 times
Default Leaving Florida

Thank you MBMOUSE for the "advance welcome"
I plan on buying a home in around your area.(Gray, Telford, Limestone,or Jonesborough) The next time I am there, I will make my decision. I just love the Tri-City area.
READYTOGO... I know what you are saying about house insurance. A friend of ours has a Condo on Beach Side in Ponce Inlet. His insurance is an "unbelieveable" $6k a year. There was even an artical in our newspaper about that area and insurance rates. ..
I remember when I really enjoyed living here, but that goes back many years. I remember when Orlando was a small city..Now it is quite a large city, with a lot of crime.. When I lived in Kissimmee it was mostly woods. Now most of the trees are gone, and now they have 6 lane hi-ways leading to Disney and all the Theme Parks. It is going to be a dream come true when I can sit on my front porch, listen to the wild life, and enjoy the view of rolling hills and mountains, and of course the fresh mountain air.. It will be a joy to see four seasons again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee