Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times

Advertisements

Okay ... that's the best way for me to phrase that.

I've driven through TN several times and I admire the beauty of the state. But I keep hearing about how polarized race relationships are everywhere except Nashville.

I have that Baby Boomer dream of moving to a bit of cheap land in the country and raising some dogs, chickens... maybe a goat or two... hell ... might even add some heritage pigs! ((chuckle))

I am soooooo tired of drama.
I don't want to change anyone, and at 58, I sure am not trying to "show off" about anything to anyone. That said, we all know people will see whatever they want to see, so life in most small towns is going to include some measure of people trying to get into your business and/or "hating" on you for at least the first ... four years??? ((LOL))

Is there any part of TN that I can find a cheap piece of land with a house good enough for the VA inspectors to qualify it... and were folks will let you live with "friendly emotional distance?"

Open to all and any candid and honest remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post

I've driven through TN several times and I admire the beauty of the state. But I keep hearing about how polarized race relationships are everywhere except Nashville.

I have that Baby Boomer dream of moving to a bit of cheap land in the country and raising some dogs, chickens... maybe a goat or two... hell ... might even add some heritage pigs! ((chuckle))

I don't want to change anyone, and at 58, I sure am not trying to "show off" about anything to anyone. That said, we all know people will see whatever they want to see, so life in most small towns is going to include some measure of people trying to get into your business and/or "hating" on you for at least the first ... four years??? ((LOL))

Is there any part of TN that I can find a cheap piece of land with a house good enough for the VA inspectors to qualify it... and were folks will let you live with "friendly emotional distance?"

I wouldn't say race relations are polarized "everywhere except Nashville." I don't think that's true or fair, exactly. There are certain places where it might be a little more prevalent, but in general, I think it is becoming less and less of an issue.

To be frank, I would suggest that for a black man looking specifically for a rural environment, West Tennessee would be the best fit overall. The rural population in West Tennessee is more black/white than anywhere else in the state. Middle Tennessee (especially the southern end) might be an option. But generally speaking, the rural areas get whiter as you go east. Not suggesting that there is outright racism in those parts, but you might find yourself in the extreme minority, and in a place where few blacks have ever lived (so locals might not have a lot of exposure to race relations either).

Perhaps try somewhere a little outside of Jackson? Jackson is a small city (63,000 or so) in Madison County, but has a lot of beautiful land around it. It might be what you are looking for as far as farmland. Plus you are strategically located if you are looking to visit a bigger city (Memphis or Nashville).

Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Check out Overton County. It's a very rural county just north of Cookeville. While the county is overwhelmingly white, race relations there are just fine. The mayor of the county's only town, Livingston, is black and is wildly popular.

Clay County, adjacent to Overton County, is also a thoroughly rural county with dirt cheap land that also has good race relations. There's an AA community there called Free Hill. Free Hill was established when a wealthy land owner freed all her slaves and gave them 2,000 acres as their own. It's a gorgeous area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 09-24-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Point of fact: I don't think the OP stated he/she was male or female. But anyway ...

One thing people from Elsewhere don't usually get is that a rural experience here is not always going to be the same as a Walden experience.

Because of that, you may not encounter racism as much as you might encounter just plain old poor, uneducated people.

Folks in search of "beautiful, cheap" land sometimes have a romanticized image of friendly, unassuming salt-of-the-earth neighbors all seeking the same uncomplicated life when, in fact, you may find more folks on some kind of gov't gov't assistance with plenty of relatives who may or may not have been incarcerated at some point.

That's why I also would recommend somewhere outside of Jackson. As a Memphis native who went to school in Knoxville and now lives in Middle TN, IMHO you will have an easier time NOT standing out there.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM

50 posts, read 122,963 times
For what it's worth, I'm a newcomer to east TN and have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of racial problems I've seen. The area is predominantly white, but it is not all that unusual to see mixed race couples with kids and no one seems to give them a second look. When a woman brought her black boyfriend to church (up in the mountains) everyone was very kind and went out of their way to speak to him. I'm sure there are bigots here (as there are everywhere) but not nearly as many as there would have been 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

I would say since the entire USA is a free nation you can move anywhere you want to.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Point of fact: I don't think the OP stated he/she was male or female. But anyway ...

One thing people from Elsewhere don't usually get is that a rural experience here is not always going to be the same as a Walden experience.

Because of that, you may not encounter racism as much as you might encounter just plain old poor, uneducated people.

Folks in search of "beautiful, cheap" land sometimes have a romanticized image of friendly, unassuming salt-of-the-earth neighbors all seeking the same uncomplicated life when, in fact, you may find more folks on some kind of gov't gov't assistance with plenty of relatives who may or may not have been incarcerated at some point.

That's why I also would recommend somewhere outside of Jackson. As a Memphis native who went to school in Knoxville and now lives in Middle TN, IMHO you will have an easier time NOT standing out there.
No, the post didn't say that but the profile says "city boy yearning to be a country boy".

Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 PM

70 posts, read 174,028 times
Default veganwriter

I am a white retired law enforcement officer from So. Cal. We have retired to Cookeville and find very little prejudice. I spoke to a black gentleman when I first moved here and asked him why there wasn't the presumed white vs black and black vs white prejudice I experienced in South Central Los Angeles. This gentleman explained that black people in the South had truly experienced prejudice in the past and when they achieved equal rights they no longer think there is a battle to be fought or fear of rejection due to skin color. His comment was that the people in Los Angeles only thought they were denied equality because people kept telling them the white people owed them something. What they owed then was equality to achieve whatever their dreams through hard work and education. While there are small minded people everywhere, it all comes down to a man being judged by his character, not his skin color. Seems like somebody famous said that.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Default Huge Help!

THANKS EVERYONE...

That's a huge help and a lot to go on.
I actually got tired back in '07 and drive flatbed truck over the road for a few years. Cookeville is not only a beautiful area, but my experience was that it was very friendly and folksy... but that's some SERIOUS snow in the winter, eh?

I heard several truckers commenting that they planned to retire in Cookeville.

... you know ... I want to add this: I like hard work and I can hear the echos of it in the words posters have replied with. That's some real practical information about living around people who've done time.

Crime is hard to get away from, isn't it? I was looking at Louisiana where my father was from, and while the land is cheap, the YouTube videos were filled with more thugs than hell has room to house. Sad. It's all over. Even farmers are lining up at Methadone clinics in Indiana.

Business 101 taught that in Capitalism, to have a top, you gotta have a bottom. Lots of time, energy and money goes into keeping those at the bottom.. AT THE BOTTOM. It doesn't seem to be a Democrat or a Republican issue. More like values ... and the way those in power "Socially Engineer" various aspects of media.

Running out of space.
Tired of drama.
Tired of hearing my neighbors getting dressed in the morning.
That dog and those chickens I want might have to live behind some really high fences!! ((chuckle))

Again, many thanks to all. My search will begin.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Cookeville is not only a beautiful area, but my experience was that it was very friendly and folksy... but that's some SERIOUS snow in the winter, eh?
Cookeville averages 8 inches a season. I hope this doesn't open up another dialogue about how much snow they got in the late 50s...

They get serious snow in New England and lots of other places but there really isn't anywhere in Tennessee that gets a lot of it, now or then. Maybe you have the area mixed up with some other place that you've been?

Regarding prejudice, I think most of the South has moved on from that. Maybe not in the deep South. Who knows. But it's been my experience that the North seems to have more of that stuff, especially in the Midwest. By the way, I'm a Yankee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee