Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Just another question. Does TN have any real gang problems in the rural areas? Where we live near Baltimore, we have so many gangs and gang related murders and shootings, drug violence. Even in the county where I live we have lots of them. It seems they have taken over the area the past few years. Never use to be like this in my area. Seems that the police can't even help.
Big city problem where ever you are. Rural TN, the biggest "gang" I have seen are the older residents gathered at Hardees for breakfast. Don't take their booth or the last order of biscuits and gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
I'd have to say that overall when I travel in rural TN, there is less "gang scrawl" grafitti on the signs and walls than I see in NC. Either people don't put up with it and paint it over, or the kids aren't as into defacing property. I assume NC gets more influence from of gangs relocating up and down I-95, spreading their credo and habits.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM

36,518 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Big city problem where ever you are. Rural TN, the biggest "gang" I have seen are the older residents gathered at Hardees for breakfast. Don't take their booth or the last order of biscuits and gravy.
That would be infamous deadpecker gang. They are state wide!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
There's another gang that I hesitate to even mention. They are pretty bad and pretty much statewide. They are the cow tipper gang. If you come across one run for your life!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM

170 posts, read 347,510 times
I think the biggest small town gangs in Tennessee are the money embezzling politicians and in some towns the police. There are KKK in parts but they are not as openly seen in the public as they once were. Don't for one second think they don't exist.

As for real street gangs....I think you are seeing the beginning of gang activity in some smaller towns but they don't have the numbers or power necessary to wreak havoc like they do in bigger cities. I know in Places like Morristown, Oak Ridge, Blount county, tri cities you have individuals who have moved here from other areas and are literally gang members. Morristown has transplants and illegal aliens who are Sureno, Laraza, MS13 and are serious with it. Problem is they don't have the sheer numbers to blatantly flaunt it, but can be very dangerous individuals. But I think in the towns I mentioned, you are seeing what is the beginning of what in the future (10-15 yrs) could turn into gang problems. But coming from Baltimore you shouldn't worry. But also don't underestimate or be fooled by everyone's kindness. Most everyone is pretty nice on a face to face level, it's the "southern way". But many can't be trusted. There are some criminal minded people here.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
I think the biggest small town gangs in Tennessee are the money embezzling politicians and in some towns the police. There are KKK in parts but they are not as openly seen in the public as they once were. Don't for one second think they don't exist.
Hate isn't just in the South. In fact, some of the most racist people I have ever met, and actually flaunt it, are in the Midwest.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 AM

17 posts, read 44,127 times
I'd say that the gang problem here in Tennessee is mostly confined to the cities and larger towns. The Big Four (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville) definitely have serious gang problems, but some of the smaller cities do, too. Clarksville, Gallatin, Dyersburg, the Tri-Cities and especially Murfreesboro have their share of gang violence. Jackson has a very high crime rate for its size, though certainly not to the same extent as Memphis.

A lot of the smaller towns really don't have any issue with this, though. There are occasionally incidences of breaking and entering or cops uncovering a meth lab out in the boondocks, but this is basically the extent of Tennessee's rural gang problem.

Regardless, you will see very little of the sort of gang activity you'd see in Baltimore, even in some of the worst parts of Nashville. Memphis is probably the only city in the state that could compare.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterThorns View Post
A lot of the smaller towns really don't have any issue with this, though. There are occasionally incidences of breaking and entering or cops uncovering a meth lab out in the boondocks, but this is basically the extent of Tennessee's rural gang problem.
Why would you think that would be gang related?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 44,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why would you think that would be gang related?
Probably because I have heard several news stories over the years about Bloods and Vice Lords members building labs out in the woods where they don't think anyone will be keeping an eye on them.

Also, sometimes criminals from urban areas will case a target in the more rural towns for similar reasons: They don't think that the police presence will be as strong.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM

We have problems with meth in my area but it is local people not associated with gangs. I have actually found a couple places in the woods where meth was being made while riding my horse. I never associated it with gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee