Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times

Advertisements

ooh, I want a gentleman's farm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
ooh, I want a gentleman's farm!
You have to find a gentleman first. Those are pretty rare.

Hey, wait . . . I guess I kind of have a gentleman's farm. I think in this case we're going to have to call it something else however.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
I guess I'll have to settle for a "loveable goober" farm.

That'll do all right.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I guess I'll have to settle for a "loveable goober" farm.

That'll do all right.
Oh, yeah, we've got plenty of those.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,641 times
There are a few posts in this forum that describe the northeastern counties of TN as a bit wild with reference to people, not just animals. Is that still the case? I wanted to come down for a visit to the area next month, but now I'm not sure where to go.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Well there have been some sasquatch sightings in the area. Or are you refering to rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,388 times
OP: How much "town" do you want? That will determine what could be of interest.

I find both Chattanooga and Knoxville (despite the blobby poorly planned western burbs) to be rather small towns at heart. I live between these so-called cities in a "town" that is really a crossroads (Ten Mile) more than a town. If I could live further from work, i would look in Sequatchie County. It is so gorgeous and quite convenient to Chattanooga, which I much prefer and find far more piedmont southern (vs mountain southern) than Knoxville.

Good luck with your search, and come back and ask questions.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrant View Post
There are a few posts in this forum that describe the northeastern counties of TN as a bit wild with reference to people, not just animals. Is that still the case? I wanted to come down for a visit to the area next month, but now I'm not sure where to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well there have been some sasquatch sightings in the area. Or are you refering to rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys?

Judging from a PM asking for some guidance, I think Kfrant is referring to discussions a couple of years back on the criminal activities in Cocke County and not anything more. For someone not having been here it probably sounded pretty bad.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM

152 posts, read 295,888 times
A gentleman's farm, you say? I like your style! Very cute!

I don't know much about Tellico Plains or Monroe County except it is absolutely beautiful around there. Personally, I think Sweetwater is a good sized little city to live near with a great downtown area. Not to mention you're not unreasonably far from bigger cities like Knoxville, Chattanooga or even Atlanta. As for other southeastern places I've always admired the communities and towns around the Ocoee River. They have a great feel to them and people have been very good to me. One time I got lost down there and when I stopped to ask directions I got invited to a community BBQ. I couldn't stay but appreciated the offer. I also don't know much about farming since most of my agricultural family members live in areas where the soil is clay so they lean more towards cattle and hog raising. (Some I think used to dabble in horse breeding on the side, too) With that in mind, I guess my best suggestion would be to ask some local farmers their opinions. Try seeing if you can get in contact with one through this website: Monroe Farm Market — LocallyGrown.net

You might be able to set up some professional contacts by getting to know other local farmers before moving in. It never hurts to start building your communication network in advance.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
A gentleman's farm, you say? I like your style! Very cute!

I don't know much about Tellico Plains or Monroe County except it is absolutely beautiful around there. Personally, I think Sweetwater is a good sized little city to live near with a great downtown area. Not to mention you're not unreasonably far from bigger cities like Knoxville, Chattanooga or even Atlanta. As for other southeastern places I've always admired the communities and towns around the Ocoee River. They have a great feel to them and people have been very good to me. One time I got lost down there and when I stopped to ask directions I got invited to a community BBQ. I couldn't stay but appreciated the offer. I also don't know much about farming since most of my agricultural family members live in areas where the soil is clay so they lean more towards cattle and hog raising. (Some I think used to dabble in horse breeding on the side, too) With that in mind, I guess my best suggestion would be to ask some local farmers their opinions. Try seeing if you can get in contact with one through this website: Monroe Farm Market — LocallyGrown.net

You might be able to set up some professional contacts by getting to know other local farmers before moving in. It never hurts to start building your communication network in advance.
Well, you're responding to a post from over five years ago and the poster hasn't been on the forum in almost as long. However, your information might be helpful to someone else. However, I wanted to point out that Sweetwater has a population of less than 7,000 people. I guess that could be considered a "good sized little city" by someone's standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee