Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

I'm no rural expert but the handful of areas I'm familiar with have low crime rates and seem to be accepting. OK I can think of one incident with a "bad apple" neighbor but they are on probation and making reparations.

I think the important thing is to land a job in a rural area, then look for housing. But Murphreesboro seems to be booming and that means higher rental rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM

231 posts, read 595,671 times
Default I plan on moving to Tennessee

You would likely want to live somewhere within communiting distance of Vanderbuilt

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,587 times
Thanks everyone

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM

17 posts, read 32,859 times
If you are needing to go back to school and to work at a hospital in the meantime, you probably do need to stay within commuting distance of Nashville. Not sure I would pick Murfreesboro for a host of reasons. Unlikely you'll find any houses with 4 bedrooms for $900/mo, but probably can find a trailer with a little bit of land outside of Davidson County. The trade-off to the low rent is going to be poor schools and a bad neighborhood, unfortunately. LPN's in TN make around $35,000-$40,000/year. Don't know what other expenses you guys have, but with both working, hopefully you can increase your rental budget. Utilities here are low (subsidized by TVA still), so that may help as well. Gas prices are fairly low compared to the rest of the country, too.

I currently have tenants who are from Michigan (Flint to be precise). They were shocked by the rental rates here and were used to paying $450/mo for a house. Their rent here is $1100 for the same size house. And, that house is actually under market value. I live in a 4 bedroom and market value on it is $1500/mo.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 17,587 times
Thankyou for the helpful information

Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM

694 posts, read 745,690 times
I am originally from OH and I have lived in the Murfreesboro, TN area since 1976. Murfreesboro is currently about 110k people and growing to beat the band. Traffic is a pain, but not bad yet. There are still a lot of rural areas around the city. of the 619 sq mi. that Rutherford County covers (co where Murfreesboro is, SE of Nashville), only about a third is really populated. This leaves a lot of farm-like areas to move to if that is what you want. I live in the outskirts a full subdivision and not a half mile away there are large tracts of open land and farms with goats, cows, ...the whole nine yards. Several times a year, farmers drive down the street (through the subdivision) with large tractors transporting large hay bales to and from. Pretty much any type of job can be found around the surrounding Nashville area. Aside from Murfreesboro area, not far away (20 miles or so) is Franklin (Williamson Co, south of Nashville). Tennessee is not like a lot of the more populated areas in the Eastern part of the US. We have decent-sized cities (but not big ones, other than Memphis) and a lot of no-one-lives-here areas. We would be glad to have you here.
O
Charles Sands

Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM

192 posts, read 257,995 times
Who takes care of 5 children while both you AND your husband are working and going to school? Does anyone ever say what should be said anymore? I had no kids and can barely manage. I grew up neglected and they will have issues all their lives. Do you have any idea how expensive nursing school is it's up there with Med school, 60k a year for Belmont or Vanderbilt, IF you're even admitted! I don't think you or your husband have thought this out enough, but it's your life, and your 5 children's lives! Its a 30 mile commute to Nashville from Murphressboro.

How does someone have 5 kids and THEN decide to pursue their "dreams" i just don't get that at all. It reminds me of that Woman who won Nashville star with 6 Sons then the whole thing blew up in her face and the husband had an affair. Im sorry but I see that as intensely selfish and stupid, what happened after the first the second, the THIRD? ..shakes head in disbelief..

If you're already managing where you are I would think long and hard about moving here, there will be a price. I cant tell you everything on these blogs. There will be tremendous price if you don't think of those 5 children before yourselves.

Last edited by travelhound; 08-31-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
Who takes care of 5 children while both you AND your husband are working and going to school? Does anyone ever say what should be said anymore? I had no kids and can barely manage. I grew up neglected and they will have issues all their lives. Do you have any idea how expensive nursing school is it's up there with Med school, 60k a year for Belmont or Vanderbilt, IF you're even admitted! I don't think you or your husband have thought this out enough, but it's your life, and your 5 children's lives! Its a 30 mile commute to Nashville from Murphressboro.

How does someone have 5 kids and THEN decide to pursue their "dreams" i just don't get that at all. It reminds me of that Woman who won Nashville star with 6 Sons then the whole thing blew up in her face and the husband had an affair. Im sorry but I see that as intensely selfish and stupid, what happened after the first the second, the THIRD? ..shakes head in disbelief..

If you're already managing where you are I would think long and hard about moving here, there will be a price. I cant tell you everything on these blogs. There will be tremendous price if you don't think of those 5 children before yourselves.
First of all, this isn't a blog, it's a forum.

And it's Murfreesboro.

I find it astonishing that some people complain when folks sit home with kids and collect disability, food stamps, get subsidized rent, yet these people want to pursue their education and they are called selfish and - oh, the irony - stupid.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
The OP said they would be pursuing RN degrees. Vanderbilt only offers advanced nursing degrees. There are several schools in the area offering an RN degree, not just Belmont. Google area nursing schools and this may help you narrow down your living area. Good Luck!!

Travelhound--obviously you don't live in Murfreesboro. Not only can you not spell it correctly, you have the driving time wrong. A 30 minute drive to Nashville is a rarity, not a reality.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM

80 posts, read 258,318 times
Harriman sounds like a good fit. Plenty of agency work in the area, cost of living is pretty low, and RSCC main campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee