Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 15,358 times

Advertisements

My friend ,our 3 dogs, and I are going to move to TN next year and need a safe area to live , affordable housing, and a good night scene because we are in our young 20's and like to go out and dance to some live music.

any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
You might want to go into more detail of what you're looking for. Affordibility is sort of relative; what price range are you looking for?

One idea off the top of pointy little head . . . the Midtown/Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village area of Nashville. It's not the the cheapest place to live in town but you can find some places that are reasonable. With two universities in the area there's a lot of young people around and the overall population is something of an eclectic mix.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:45 PM

we are thinking max $600 a month. and we probably wont be able to get an apartment with 3 medium to large dogs.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
That's on the low side. You're probably going to have to compromise on what you want and need.

East Nashville might be an option. It's not quite as safe or as nice as Hillsboro Village in some ways but it's coming back and also has an interesting mix of people and it's very convenient to downtown and some of the music clubs. You will need to show a little more care if you chose that area. I think even there $600 is going to be on the low side for most rentals (I don't keep up with rents however).

Another option would be to look further out. That might be better for the doggies anyway, but it wouldn't be as convenient to the fun bars, clubs, and that sort of thing. It's not too hard to get around in Nashville except during the rush hours so it's won't be as bad as it sounds living in one of the outlying areas.

You will have to compromise on something. You just can't find a nice place in a nice neighborhood with space for three dogs near the "happening areas" all for $600 a month.

My comments are just if you chose Nashville, of course. I'll let others suggest other areas. Cookeville might be a possibility for you.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-24-2007 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceymind23 View Post
My friend ,our 3 dogs, and I are going to move to TN next year and need a safe area to live , affordable housing, and a good night scene because we are in our young 20's and like to go out and dance to some live music.

any suggestions???
Don't you need to move near where you are going to work? If you can say where that is maybe someone can suggest nearby towns.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 PM

well i dont have a career so id be workin any where i could i suppose, im still in college

Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You might consider Johnson city. It has a good music scene from what I hear.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:22 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:

any suggestions???
Maybe Knoxville? It's a big city (700,000 in metro area) so there's always something to do. There are 35,000 college students here, many of whom end up staying after they graduate. The cost of living here is also pretty reasonable.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
well i dont have a career so id be workin any where i could i suppose, im still in college
So, you will still be in college? Or will you have your degree by then? And if so, what kind of job would you be looking for?

I'm not quite understanding this, but it wouldn't be the first time!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:17 PM

323 posts, read 742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
That's on the low side. You're probably going to have to compromise on what you want and need.

East Nashville might be an option. It's not quite as safe or as nice as Hillsboro Village in some ways but it's coming back and also has an interesting mix of people and it's very convenient to downtown and some of the music clubs. You will need to show a little more care if you chose that area. I think even there $600 is going to be on the low side for most rentals (I don't keep up with rents however).

Another option would be to look further out. That might be better for the doggies anyway, but it wouldn't be as convenient to the fun bars, clubs, and that sort of thing. It's not too hard to get around in Nashville except during the rush hours so it's won't be as bad as it sounds living in one of the outlying areas.

You will have to compromise on something. You just can't find a nice place in a nice neighborhood with space for three dogs near the "happening areas" all for $600 a month.

My comments are just if you chose Nashville, of course. I'll let others suggest other areas. Cookeville might be a possibility for you.
I'm thinking Cookeville also. The College is there and without going to far out can find housing quite a bit cheaper than 600.00 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee