Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,367 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here is knowledegble in computer workings. I have a wireless computer as my son does too, my daughter does not . We have a router hooked up in her room, same floor, for our wireless comp.My son and I keep loosing our signals, it has gotten worse in the last month, or so. The brand of the router is Linkys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
phyll, how old is your router and is it a wireless a, b, g, or something else?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Default New Neighbor ?

P: I am far from Expert, but travel some to hotels, relatives. Without a lot of Locks, passwords, neighbors outside street can latch on to ones router signal and connect ? Maybe more users slows your host ?
. Maybe also clean up some DISK Space on your laptops. I had to do that this am to install printer drivers, etc .Erase old photos, Games, etc.
. Let us know what you find out !

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Hey phyll, the husband and I are heading out to Cades Cove here in a minute and I am not taking the laptop today.

You might want to go with Netgear wireless g (approx. $50) or wireless super g (approx $100). If you have wireless a you pretty much have to be in the same room, if you have wireless b you can have some walls but with the g's you can spread out over the house. Super g is my pick (check out amazon).

We prefer netgear over linksys. Hope this helps!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Split makes a good point. Make sure that your wireless is secure. I am very curious to see if your router is an older wireless b. If you have the model # off the router we can look it up to see if it is wireless a, b, or g.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
phyll, how old is your router and is it a wireless a, b, g, or something else?
OK I will answer to all of you here, the router is 6 mnths old a linksys, and it is a G 2.4 then it says ,54mbps. It only startes last mnth , once we reset the button in the back of the router we can go on for awhile. I also wonder because we have most trouble afternoon and night....

Old 02-23-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
OK I will answer to all of you here, the router is 6 mnths old a linksys, and it is a G 2.4 then it says ,54mbps. It only startes last mnth , once we reset the button in the back of the router we can go on for awhile. I also wonder because we have most trouble afternoon and night....
You've got a decent router. How far is the router from the 2 other computers?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 AM

I definitely think that you may have a security issue if this is happening during certain times. Check your router security settings and maybe do one of two things if you haven't already done it. Set up an access list for only the computers that will access the router (your computers) and/or put a wep password on the router and on each of the computers. If you set it up on the router, it will force the other computers to have the same wep password in order to connect. See if this helps.

By the way, some of our computers are so far away from the router here at our place we had to put in a wireless bridge; which is why I asked the distance question.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Make sure there isn't anything around the router either that could be blocking it. We have one set up in my daugthers room and now and then we'll find she put a book or something in front of it blocking the signal. We too have a weak connection on ours lately but we've also had the same router for 2 years so it's probably time for a new one. Being only 6 months old, i'm not sure why it would be giving you so many problems. Also, if your both trying to connect at the same time on the same router if it's not a good strong quality, it may be causing the problem where both computers are trying to get the full strength signal at the same time.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
You've got a decent router. How far is the router from the 2 other computers?
Well my sons is down the basement, I am sorry I know I said they were on the same floor.But mine is not far at all from the router.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee