Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times

Advertisements

I hope this post doesn't turn into one of those general where should I choose to live posts. Gosh, if it does, please accept my apologies.
Handsome one and I have been living here in Dandridge the past year, before that it was East town in Knoxville. We are currently looking to buy a house and just recently broadened our search to include Roane county.This week we are scheduled to to see an interesting little cottage in Watts Bar Belle/Kingston area. We are both currently retired and looking for a place that is quiet and safe and is open to outsiders.
My question is what are anyones impressions of Kingston/ Watts Bar area? Is the area more rural then Dandridge is? We love the Dandridge area, but we were trying to get closer to Knoxville as I no longer drive. I know, I know... we're going the wrong way. We are just trying to explore all our options and check all areas out. I also realize we haven't done all the exploring we wanted to do last year when we moved out here. Would you believe that we only discovered Morristown 4 months ago??
Now before ya'll think we're a couple of hermits, we aren't. The Handsome One has health issues that limit our days and excursions out and about but we manage. If the two of us were a ship, it would be aptly named "Eventually"
In advance I thank you for anything you can tell me,
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Must be really rural. No ones has even heard of it.

;- ) (Just kidding.)

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Try Lycos in the Classifieds under Knoxville.......

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
I love Kingston.

It's a nice downtown surrounded by tons of beautiful rural-ness.

The Watts Bar Belle seems lovely and hope to get on there for one of their brunch or dinner cruises when we come down in April!

Can't compare the area to Dandridge, though--I've never been there.

We settled upon Kingston after much poking around back in May. We really liked Clinton too but they didn't have very many options in land for sale. Watts Bar lake is really huge, and there's a route from Kingston (there's a thread here about it) all the way down to, I believe the Gulf of Mexico. 950 linear miles of shoreline on Watts Bar.

Kingston is really a nice town--I've been getting the local paper (roanecounty.com) and there really aren't many issues in terms of school problems, excessive crime, etc. Just small town stuff. Things seem to be comparatively quiet and running smoothly. Walmart, etc. close enough but far enough away.

And, Kingston was the capital of Tennessee for one day.

What else could you ask for?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

The area of NY I was from had a Kingston that once was the capitol of NY, the capitol was temporarily moved upstate to Albany so the English couldn't burn the capitol of NY and it never came back to Kingston, NY. How weird is that, two places named Kingston were the states capitols for a short time. I know, I need a life... trivia amuses me.
Thank you to all the others that posted. Although I am clueless about Lycos and the classifieds.
Pam

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 02-25-2008 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: spelling error that I caught

Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
TAlthough I am clueless about Lycos and the classifieds.
Pam
Sometimes Tinman is a man of too few words . . .

He means go to Lycos, then the Classified, then the Knoxville area. Whether that will be of any help to you is another matter.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM

P&B, I grew up in Montgomery, and when I was 17, my best friend and I drove up to UPAC to see Zebra in concert lol! (Err, you know where Montgomery is, right? Between Middletown & Newburgh on Rte 84).

So, see, it all makes sense. If I can come from upstate NY, see Zebra in Kingston NY as a kid, and grow up to love Kingston TN, you can surely be from even further upstate, live near Kingston NY, and in turn, really love Kingston TN!

Right? It's karma.

Or something.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 AM

bbkaren,

Would you believe I've never been to Montgomery? Middletown and Newburgh I've been to. I was from across the river from Kingston, NY. Which is kind of ironic that the realtor just said that cottage is "across the river almost in Kingston"
Anyway I just have to wait one more day to see the area of Kingston, Tn. I'm really excited and my interest is peaked big time. Handsome one and I are just dreaming big time... we're both retired and he can fish to his hearts content. We have a deal, if he catches the fish, he cleans them, cooks them and eats them. I don't do anything with them. I do know how to clean fish, and have cleaned my share but with one functioning hand, it no longer is my job.
bbkaren, it sure is nice to talk with someone who has an idea of where in NY I come from. Most times I get..."wheres that" and I have to go into my spiel about 90 minutes north of the city and 45 minutes south of Albany, on the banks of the Hudson river.
Pam
PS. Would it be rude if I pointed out that you are dating yourself by saying you saw Zebra in concert? I dated myself when talking to my 16 year old sons friend and I said I saw the original Pretenders in concert. He waits a few seconds and says "WHO"??? LOL
Pam

Yup it is Karma

Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 AM

My husband is 9 years younger than me, and my kids are 17 and 18...and 2-1/2 years old!

I divorced and remarried and signed up for one more, so when we all go out, nobody has any idea who is whose lol!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 AM

There is no doubt who my 2 kids belong to, they both resemble me. My X is my age and Handsome One(Bill) is 12 years older then me. No new second family here. Although I do chuckle that you all must cause some confusion...
Last week someone asked me if I was Bill's daughter. I have milked that one for the last week! LOL
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee