Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 08:59 AM

23 posts, read 27,365 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving To TN from VT. It is a tough move we will be leaving all of our family and selling our farm that has been in my family for over 100 years. We can not afford to live in VT anymore. We have 3 small kids 5 and under and feel in our hearts this is the right time to move. With that being said we are coming down Friday to look at a few places. We are looking to farm, hunt and fish, hike and homeschool our children We are looking at places in Rogersville, Thorn hill, Bloomington Springs, Maynardville, Deer Lodge and Sparta. I know all over the place! We are trying to find where will fit us best. Any suggestions? My boyfriend is a licensed electrician and will be looking for work as well. Any suggestions would be wonderful!! We are looking for a friendly, safe place to raise our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Have you ever been to Tennessee? Why Tennessee over other states?

Rogersville is a small city and the seat of Hawkins County. Rogersville has a nice, small downtown, essential shopping (Walmart, Big Lots, grocery store) and is in a beautiful area, but the economy is very tough. Many people have to commute back to the Tri-Cities, which is itself not that healthy, for jobs. Thorn Hill and Maynardville are further down the road from Rogersville, and even more isolated with weak economies. There will be very few transplants in these areas. The other places are farther west - I don't really know anything about them.

You really need to read this thread about Hawkins and Grainger Counties. It was started by someone looking to retire but it may give you some perspective.

//www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...fo-needed.html

In general, I would recommend Unicoi County, outside of Erwin, which would give you nice mountain views and reasonable access to both Johnson City and Asheville, NC, if you're looking for a more rural lifestyle. There are also places around Strawberry Plains, Blount County, etc, closer to Knoxville that might work.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:06 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky2611 View Post
Hi! We are moving To TN from VT. It is a tough move we will be leaving all of our family and selling our farm that has been in my family for over 100 years. We can not afford to live in VT anymore. We have 3 small kids 5 and under and feel in our hearts this is the right time to move. With that being said we are coming down Friday to look at a few places. We are looking to farm, hunt and fish, hike and homeschool our children We are looking at places in Rogersville, Thorn hill, Bloomington Springs, Maynardville, Deer Lodge and Sparta. I know all over the place! We are trying to find where will fit us best. Any suggestions? My boyfriend is a licensed electrician and will be looking for work as well. Any suggestions would be wonderful!! We are looking for a friendly, safe place to raise our children.
Bloomington Springs is just west of Cookeville. The advantage of Bloomington Springs over the other locations is that it's only an hour'ish from Nashville which is, by far, the fastest growing area in the state and with a heck of a lot more jobs--and higher wages--than elsewhere in the state. A number of people in that area work in Nashville, enough that there's a park-and-ride lot next to I-40 at the Baxter/Bloomington Springs exit. Cookeville is also growing quickly with a lot of construction going on in the area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 27,365 times
Thank you for your responses!!! Serious conversation no we have never been to TN. I know it sounds crazy! We sat down 2 years ago and made a list of what we want in a state that we live in. After we had all of our qualifications we went through each state and compared them to the list. TN had almost everything on the list and more then any other state. Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking for a small town and having some acreage for farming. JMT thank you as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee