Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
I can attest that all of the people from Tennessee that I have had the pleasure to meet have been very friendly and wonderful people. Some of the transplants aren't too bad either
Thank you, NCG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
"At first they were taken aback by "strangers" striking up a conversation with them..."

that's usually b/c they want to know where you are from, and what church you go to!!! hahaha

Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We're from California, and when we visited Noth Carolina last summer, considering it for relocation, we were surprised by the friendliness of all we met. We were totally amused by a gentleman in th lobby of our Asheville hotel who complained bitterly about how impolite these darn North Carolina people were. Where he came from he said people were much more polite, nice and friendly! Where was he from, the desk clerk asked. East Tennessee!!! We got a good laugh out of that since East Tennessee was all of a hundred miles away...

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We're from California, and when we visited Noth Carolina last summer, considering it for relocation, we were surprised by the friendliness of all we met. We were totally amused by a gentleman in th lobby of our Asheville hotel who complained bitterly about how impolite these darn North Carolina people were. Where he came from he said people were much more polite, nice and friendly! Where was he from, the desk clerk asked. East Tennessee!!! We got a good laugh out of that since East Tennessee was all of a hundred miles away...
From what I hear, it might as well be a world away. There's someone on this forum that's fixin' to move to my area. She went on a fact-finding mission to Asheville and didn't like it at all. It didn't sound very "Southern" to me!

So, my point is, if you thought those folks were friendly, wait until you get a load of us! Be prepared though, we're not liberal like Asheville.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Some of us are

Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
Welllllllll......

Some are liberal

Some are conservative

And some of us are brazen hussies who like to go out without wearing any label at all!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Welllllllll......

Some are liberal

Some are conservative

And some of us are brazen hussies who like to go out without wearing any label at all!!!!!!
Ha! That was excellent.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You found people from North Carolina in Asheville? I only found people from large, mostly northern, cities there. I keep saying this but but there is a reason why Asheville was once in the top 20 as a best place to retire and now it isn't even in the Top 100 (Where To Retire Magazine). Don't let it happen to East Tennessee.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 307,487 times
Smile Hat Tip to TN Kindness...

Last week was my first week in Oak Ridge (we're transplanting from Northern CA)...on my first day out driving, of course I got lost. I stopped in at a drug store and asked for directions. A clerk directed me to the "best navigator in the store". While I was waiting for him to finish w/another customer, another local gal came up to me(sent by the original clerk), and started giving me precise directions. I was both floored and delighted! Besides being absolutely gorgeous around here, despite the apparent hard-freeze after stuff started blooming, so much of the normal color died way too early; the people have been amazing.

Also, we were taken to dinner at a place called the Riverview Grill just between Clinton and Oak Ridge. Drop-dead gorgeous view of the river/trees, etc. while you eat in a very unfancy but great local barbeque haunt where the folks were chatty and relaxed. Don't know what their otherwise reputation is, but we've now eaten there twice! I asked if they had creamed horseradish (I know some of you are going YUK!), and the waitress said no, but she would see if she could get some. I told her how to fix it and she did!

Sorry for the long post -- just wanted to add to tributes to southern hospitality... and so far, no one has stumbled over the fact that we talk funny and don't know squat about most things Tennesseean!! Can't wait to find a home and unpack!

Last edited by VeritasMatters; 05-01-2007 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: missed word

Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Where is the Riverview Grill? I would love to go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee