Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM

82 posts, read 77,966 times

Advertisements

My apologies for the confusion. 52k is my gross at the moment and I took home about 35k this year after about 10k in overtime. Top gross pay will be about 62k which will put me at about 40k a year take home. Pretty miserable considering the cost of living in CT. That’s barely enough to buy a home that’s barely standing haha. I do put money in bi weekly into a 457b, unfortunately it is not matched by the state but that is because we have the pension as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you go to a salary wizard calculator and put your salary in and do a comparison for here you will see what you should expect to make in TN.

I have a relative in Public Safety here and he feels that 911 Dispatchers make too little. There are a variety of those types of jobs whether they are government or hospital or private.

Sorry I can't help more but thank you for the work that you do; it is so important.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 23,261 times
I agree with other's that say $28K isn't enough to live much above poverty in the Knoxville area. I've lived in the area 61 yrs, and while cost of living is lower, it still will require a better income if you expect to live anywhere near a lower middle class life. The average rent for a one bedroom apartment is $500-$900. And that's not always in the good side of town. The best areas to live are outside the city limits in the county, on the west side, or next best would be the in the county on the north.
I live West, in Loudon county, which has become more expensive than living in Knoxville. I think our local sheriff pays better for experienced patrol officers, than $28K.
I'd also look into management in private security.
Another good place for a higher paying job is around Oak Ridge, working for any government contractors that center around the high technology center that originated from the development of the nuclear bomb used in WW2.
That area around Oak Ridge has expanded into a high tech development area, with good paying jobs, even for unskilled workers.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

82 posts, read 77,966 times
I don't expect to stay at 28k especially considering my experience, training, education, and certifications from up here. I do not plan on switching to a different career line than law enforcement, I was just using Corrections as an example. I have noticed that most of law enforcement is in the 25-35k mark down there regardless of where you live, closer to the 35k mark in the cities. I hate cities and do not plan on being anywhere near one. Mountains and lakes are the life for me. I am staying away from the private sector mainly due to benefits, retirement usually sucks as well as the medical benefits, which for me with many medical problems is very important. Is another post I made Eastern, TN was highly recommended for me when I said I was looking for mountains, boatable lakes, warmer winters, but still get snow. What are people thinking for areas down there?

Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Outdoor opportunities are generally excellent, mild to wild. Cherokee, Norris, and Douglas Lakes are all great boating lakes. We do get occasional snow, usually less than 3" or so and it melts in a few days. Average January highs are in the mid-40s in the lower elevations, but sunny days in the 50s/60s are not uncommon.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Let me toss a couple of other things out there to check into for public safety jobs. Oak Ridge National Lab and Arnold AFB. Rural areas with that quality of life but typically higher incomes than much of the state.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 6,489 times
Default Get out of CT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
My parents did the same thing but they both had good jobs with the state here, I have a job with the state as well but it pays garbage. There is someone I work with who has been in it for 35 years and doesn’t have enough money to retire. I’ve been told by many people I work with who have been there 10 plus year to get out as soon as I can while I’m young. The pension would be minimal even if I stayed my whole career, and there is no room for advancement, at top pay I’d be lucky to take home 40k a year. And honestly I hate living in ct, the taxes, the people, there’s nothing to do here anymore.
I also work for the State of CT and our benefits are outstanding. With that being said it's becoming increasingly difficult to live in this state. With Lamont in office I only see it getting worse. I mean really, now he wants to tax groceries?! I'm much closer to retirement age than you and we plan to move to TN as well. I understand what everyone in this thread is saying about your pension but I also can empathize with how difficult it is to stay in CT. I see that you are in Enfield and I'm assuming your close to your job so at least you won't have to deal with the tolls on a daily basis. I am trying to convince my husband to get out of CT now as the housing market is getting worse and I'm afraid we may never unload our place when it is time. I have lived in the south and not only is it less expensive but the people are amazing! You will never meet a stranger I wish you the best, it's a tough decision but if it were me, I would get out now!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:58 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Check out Indeed.com for job listings in L.E. in the Knoxville and surrounding areas....

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Law+En...C+TN&radius=50

"City" is a relative term. You will find cities in TN with as few as 6000 residents. So basically a city could be a small town. The entire area of east TN is filled with rivers, lakes, etc, and there are rolling foothills to mountains throughout the area. Even in the midst of downtown Knoxville there are rivers and lakes within a few minutes drive.

Are you single? Will there be a second income in the household? $28,000 is very low household income, even for TN. Such a shame they don't pay L.E. better. I know you would prefer not to leave LE, but you can higher pay for much safer work in almost any factory here. We have numerous manufacturers in the outlying small towns, as well as the city.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I would not count on your state pension. CT has promised things it can't deliver. Only 20% of the state pensions promised are funded. It's hightaxes are running wealthy individuals out of state. As young as you are don't trust government promises if they don't back this promises up reasonably. CT is not.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmo1718 View Post
I also work for the State of CT and our benefits are outstanding. With that being said it's becoming increasingly difficult to live in this state. With Lamont in office I only see it getting worse. I mean really, now he wants to tax groceries?! I'm much closer to retirement age than you and we plan to move to TN as well. I understand what everyone in this thread is saying about your pension but I also can empathize with how difficult it is to stay in CT. I see that you are in Enfield and I'm assuming your close to your job so at least you won't have to deal with the tolls on a daily basis. I am trying to convince my husband to get out of CT now as the housing market is getting worse and I'm afraid we may never unload our place when it is time. I have lived in the south and not only is it less expensive but the people are amazing! You will never meet a stranger I wish you the best, it's a tough decision but if it were me, I would get out now!
Groceries are taxed in TN at 5% plus the local rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee